It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano discovered smoldering under a kilometer of ice in West Antarctica

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

crazyewok
In theory I don't think the average person needs to expect a drop in standard of living BUT there are some who are consuming vast amounts of resources who I would say need to be made to cut back. Plus I think the world needs to bite the bullet and go back to focusing on nuclear Tec again as I think that's the key otherwise thing will go down hill fast.

Not to get too far off topic but it is related IMHO...

IF pollution is a major contributing factors. We need to have the "NANO Technology" revolution already.

Manufacturing all the daily necessity from the atom up as apposed to creating stuff we use *Everything from cheap plastic trinkets to automobiles and mobile phones etc* pumping crap up a smoke stack and out into the environment.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Kali74
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Well at least now the false debate can stop over whether the West Antarctic shelf is melting and the fostering of ignorance over the difference between sea and land ice can also stop. Alas now as sea levels rise the blame will shift to that volcano... at least in the well funded echo chamber.

Perhaps....and perhaps a whole new debate (above our professional level) with a much more vicious edge needs to begin. Namely, where data suggesting otherwise has come from, assuming we do have a serious conflict to get worked out on conclusions being drawn.

Some of this debate has assumed..and seemingly assumed it always would be...somewhat vague and part of the whole question for causes. So, outcomes can be fudged as easily sometimes, given that nothing is certain.

Well Well Well.. If we now have a big chunk of certainty drop into the equation, the data it's impacting ought to become clear for which side is right and which is wrong. If only in that region being looked at.

I'm wide open to whatever this helps us learn on the overall debate, because man made or Mother nature having a tantrum? We'll all still be just as miserable or dead if we get it wrong or don't anticipate what can be predicted.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   

SLAYER69

Not to get too far off topic but it is related IMHO...

IF pollution is a major contributing factors. We need to have the "NANO Technology" revolution already.

Manufacturing all the daily necessity from the atom up as apposed to creating stuff we use *Everything from cheap plastic trinkets to automobiles and mobile phones etc* pumping crap up a smoke stack and out into the environment.

Haha

Well for me it moving ino the solar system, that way we get rid of any resource shortage, create more living space and move the worst industrys off world. But to do that we need to get rid of the pathetic ban on nuclear propulsion.

But to be fair I think a mix of nano tec and space explotation would be key.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

There's enough resource and space for 14 billion people on Earth, we should figure out the problem of some having overabundance while others have none before we transplant our problems to other worlds.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Kali74
before we transplant our problems to other worlds.

See the typical hippie argument that holds us back

Sorry but does it matter if we transplanet our problems to the moon or mars? No one else lives there, cant screw up a already dead enviroment.

Limtless resources are just sitting up there.

Yes we need to optimise our earth bound resources. But we need to try MULTIPLE things.
edit on 8-12-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Do you honestly envision Humanity ever being that perfect?
If so, how and where should we begin?

Don't get me wrong. I'd love for us as a species to pull our collective heads out of our posteriors and sing "Kumbaya"

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Mianeye
That there is your problem, noone want's to change, cause every one think it's personal, it will never change cause people are to egoistic to actually do something together...Pathetic if you ask me.

Lower taxes and higher consumerisme and individual lifestyle based on useless paper notes are more important than a healthy planet.

And I don't see you leading by example, for all the preaching you're doing. Turn off your lights, junk your stuff, live off the land, and then you may complain about who doesn't want to change their lifestyle.

End of OT. This is interesting. if they're still finding unknown volcanoes down there, I'm willing to bet they'll find more elsewhere there over the coming years, and start getting a good picture of thermo influence in the region that involves people less & less. We can blame ourselves all we want, but fact is, Mother Earth has been altering herself for a very long time with & without us. I think we've only scratched the surface (so to speak) of how the planet really regulates itself.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I think it's entirely possible, it's something most of us desire. How? I don't have any better clue than anyone else does.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for exploring space. I would love to see another space race, it's great for the economy and even better for innovation. All I was saying is that it's not dire for us to get off this planet.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Kali74
All I was saying is that it's not dire for us to get off this planet.

It would create alot more breathing room and allow as a much greater margin for error.

If all the worst industrys were offworld on the moon or mars or on a station in orbit the risk of toxic spills and accidents would be zero. Resource abundance would also make most wars and arguments over resources null and void.
edit on 8-12-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Kali74

I think it's entirely possible, it's something most of us desire. How? I don't have any better clue than anyone else does.

Yet, you'll be dead set against trying off world expansion? Seems a bit myopic. I guess that if we find signs of intelligent life off world that Humanity may finally put down the guns and "Holy books" that divide us as a species and come together for the greater good...

Just an opinion,

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

SLAYER69
I guess that if we find signs of intelligent life off world that Humanity may finally put down the guns and "Holy books" that divide us as a species and come together for the greater good...

Well I wouldnt say greater good....at least not for the intelligent life we find...... It would be 1492 all over again but instead of Indians we will have aliens.....unless the aliens are smarter than us then we become the indians and we are screwed.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

We would need an renewable resource for all that, as far as solar has come it would need to go leaps and bounds... there are no (as far as we know) fossil fuels on other planets. I could really get behind that type of innovation though, making solar power efficient enough to blast aircraft out of orbit.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Finding signs is a far cry from actually contacting them.
Come on now. This a Gloom and Doom Climate change thread not a War of the worlds thread.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Kali74

There's enough resource and space for 14 billion people on Earth, we should figure out the problem of some having overabundance while others have none before we transplant our problems to other worlds.

I remember as a kid I'd get full and my mother would demand that I eat because there were starving kids in China that would be happy to have that.

Even as a kid I knew that was a load of adult level self deception. Now we're all fat. We're also broke from sending financial aid everywhere else on the planet but there are still starving people.

I knew the answer when I was 12 but nobody liked that answer.

You don't want waste? Don't cook so much food.

If China didn't want starving kids then they could grow more food or grow fewer kids.

If somebody wants to fly off to another planet to find a new place to settle then that's their damn prerogative...and their damn problem.

You can't fix people. They are always going to put themselves into lousy situations no matter how much you try to help them (control them).

In 50 years some busybody is going to be sniping at her kid, "Eat your synthetic protein. There are starving kids on Mars that would be happy to have that."

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Kali74
there are no (as far as we know) fossil fuels on other planets. I

Titan, it rains ethane on there is a its own wierd carbon cycle with lakes of hydrocarbons.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

That there is your problem, noone want's to change, cause every one think it's personal, it will never change cause people are to egoistic to actually do something together...Pathetic if you ask me.

It seems to me that the very act of replying and using these resources places you in the same camp, yet you say pathetic? Interesting point of view.

As regards the volcanoes melting the ice cap you say it is very small. Yet how do you know that when the scientists don't know themselves, and when the thermal energy of a volcano is massive. Look at the effects in a smaller version in Iceland.

Since the scientists are saying it will have an effect, why are you nay-saying them? Are they wrong, or does that particular piece of science not fit your view point?

edit on 8/12/2013 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   

How about 'One' of the contributing factors?

My apologies. I was rushing to go out. You are of course correct.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

I think we do need to consider "good" practice when it comes to our planets resources and pollutants.

No one in their right mind could deny that. It is such a shame that so many of the rich industrialists have not got a 'right mind', at least in that respect.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   

SLAYER69

PuterMan
The point here is of course that just because it is 'new' to us, it is not 'new' to Mama Nature and has possibly been around a year or two longer before we discovered it. Long enough perhaps to be the contributor to melting ice in the West Antarctic perhaps?

'The Contributing factor'

How about 'One' of the contributing factors? I mean, the last time I looked, Antarctica was a Continent located on Earth a planet which supposedly has (according to our latest scientific theorists) tectonic plates that move. Volcanoes and Earthquakes are all part of it. Why wouldn't Antarctica (Located on Earth) have such activities found everywhere else on the globe?

As far as it being the cause? I dunno, I've been reading up on "Rebounding" Could be as the great weight of the ice is slowly melted away Volcanic locations [active in the distant past] which were fairly recently (Geologically speaking) have now reawakened due to the pressure pressing down and holding it in check have less resistance presently allowing it to come to the surface.
edit on 8-12-2013 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

The drops in water levels in the great lakes are being attributed to the dry land rebounding faster that the lakebeds by quite a few geologists.

A 2 mile thick ice sheet would weigh a fair amount.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join