It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ice Storm: Temperatures Drop To -29C In US!!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Also checking in from North Dakota with a -18 weather man says it feels like -30.
Heard from oldest working in western part of the state they have been without power for the last 18 hours.
Those without secondary heat have been sheltering in firehalls and community centers.
Have snow comming in this afternoon, doesnt' sound like a lot, seems like it warms up to put snow on the ground in the area I live in, looking at a high of 0.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by yorkshirelad

It's not winter. It's fall. Until the end of this month.
Winter is Dec 21 -April 21
Thursday it was 79 here in Virginia. Yesterday it was high 30's and windy. Thursday I took a walk and had to remove my sweater yesterday bearlly ventured out and when I did I ran from the door to the car and from the car to the door.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
The main problem is that the southern states don't have snow plows, nor do they put in a supply of salt or grit for the roads before winter; packed down snow is pretty much the same as ice to drive on, and the drivers don't have the right kind of tires, nor the experience to slow down especially before intersections, where the idling heat from cars tends to turn the road surface into black ice.

This is the reason I moved from upstate NY to Portland Oregon (an improvement but too rainy and dreary during the winters), from thence to Southern Oregon (ditto but better, and lousy economic conditions) and now I'm looking at southern California if I can afford it. San Diego's weather this summer was glorious, day after day after day...(I plan on ignoring Fukushima because there's no hiding from it).

I'm starting to wonder if a goodly portion of the planet isn't going to become uninhabitable. What's this gonna do to real estate values?

And WHY would anyone live in Minnesota, etc? Dayum.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

A radio host from the coast came inland once and remarked on how nice we all were in Midwest. His theory was that we were all that nice because we send all our jerks to the coast.

I'll take living in flyover over the coasts any day although you might eventually persuade me to live along the Gulf Coast somewhere. My husband wouldn't like it though. We know he's a significant part Native American from his adoption papers, but we don't know what tribe. He loves the cold and hates the heat so much that we sometimes joke it's Innuit or something similar.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Yeah that's why I would never live there. Average temp this time of year is 45 here in Virginia. Snow is an event ans schools close if you can see snow on the grass. It's crazy. Even in winter it's not unusual for 80 ° days. Though they don't occur often they do occur. Going below freezing is rare here but we have had days in the teens. I have flowers blooming in Feb (camelias) and I still have roses on my bushes right now.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Just spent a week in Sheridan, Wyoming where the overnight temp for at least 2 nights was -24F (-31C).
During the same period, Northern Montana was chiming in with a chilly -35F (-37C). That's not including wind chill factored-in.
Definitely the coldest temperature that I have ever experienced, second coldest was a week of -20F back in 2001 I believe...
It was soooo cold, politicians actually had their hands in their OWN pockets! Ba-dump Bump...

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

Virginia is a temperate zone but I am as far south as you can get in the state and we are considered sub tropical here.
We have plows but not many and when it does snow enough to need them they only plow the main roads. If you live on a side road or God forbid a back country road you're stuck until it melts. The biggest snow I 've seen here is a foot but that is so very very rare.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
We have a phrase that we use to describe the bitter-cold temperatures and un-godly wind here:
Population Control.

If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 18 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in Wyoming.

If you're proud that your region makes the national news 96 nights each year because Big Piney is the coldest spot in the nation, you might live in Wyoming.

If your local Dairy Queen is closed from November through March, you might live in Wyoming.

If you instinctively walk like a penguin for five months out of the year, you might live in Wyoming.

If you have worn shorts and a parka at the same time, you might live in Wyoming.

If you have had a lengthy telephone conversation with someone who dialed a wrong number, you might live in Wyoming.

YOU KNOW YOU ARE A TRUE WYOMINGITE WHEN:

1. You measure distance in hours.

2. You know several people who have hit a deer more than once.

3. You often switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day and back again.

4. You can drive 65 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching.

5. You see people wearing camouflage at social events (including weddings).

6. You install security lights on your house and garage and leave both unlocked.

7. You carry jumper cables in your car and your girlfriend knows how to use them.

8. You design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit.

9. Driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow.

10. You know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter and road construction.

11. You were unaware that there is a legal drinking age.

12. Down South to you means Colorado or Utah.

13. Your 4th of July picnic was moved indoors due to frost.

14. You have more miles on your snow blower than your car.

15. You find 0 degrees "a little chilly."

edit on 8-12-2013 by sageturkey because: Quotes

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I'm in the Missouri and on Wens it hit the high of 19c (66f) then by Thurs night we saw the first batch of snow and ice with the high temp at 6c (43f). It's been way below freezing most days since with highs in the -6c (20'sf).

It was kinda funny at work, though. I work in a large (and usually hot as hell) warehouse where most of the men wear shorts even when the weather outside is slightly cool. When the temp drop happened, our warehouse became an icebox and all those guys were turning interesting shades of blue. Us girls however had a bit more sense than that.

Back to the weather and ice storm, the Transportation Dept in my area seem to be doing a decent job keeping up the main roads and highways. Side roads are slippery and my road from my home is nothing but ice. Guess I'm stuck inside till they can get to me. I believe it is still snowing (though it's not the big pretty flakes but the little nat looking flakes) in my area, or it was last time I got up and looked out the window. Good thing we have plenty of milk and bread.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Sigh, you lower 48 fellas are lucky! Thats where our cold weather have gone to. The temps here have been a bit strange here too in Alaska. Its been crappy weather here, with 28F and rain! It was like that a bit too last month, rain for a few weeks then back to the cold. It was announced on the VHF yesterday that the river was deemed unsafe to travel on.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

I am from Montana. We were in a spot that has been hovering around -45 degrees F. with the wind chill (a few times) since this started at the beginning of last week. It hasn't gotten above 0 degrees F. since last Monday. I have four horses, one of them a long yearling filly that had been given to me after she spent the first 12 months basically starved. We finally had some weight on her thank goodness, but when a horse is starved that long it can really impair their resources to cope with something like this. So far, everyone is making it, and no one has frostbit their ears, although we do have one barn cat that may have frostbit her feet. We bring her in the house, but she howls to go out after a few hours. This has been relentless. My three big geldings seem alright, but I am worried about that little girl and the kitty. We had more snow last night, and we may get more today. It looks like there is no real relief in sight until Tuesday. I have lived here all my life (save six years while my husband was in the military), and I do not remember a cold-snap this severe for this long. Good luck to everyone, and stay safe.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
It was about -10F here this morning but has warmed to about -5F here now. I am not sure how that converts to Celsius. It is a little cold for this time in December, it rarely goes below zero in the beginning of Dec. here for a whole day. The lake keeps us warmer usually till the end of December. 0 degrees F is normal for the beginning of Dec.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I'm in south Texas and it is cold for us. Dallas was hit very hard. Almost all the freeways are a solid sheet of ice. A family member, trucker, is stuck in AR. Family in OK got a fair amount of snow and ice. We were discussing the weather yesterday and how it is returning to what it was when we were kids. We always had snow in OK when I was growing up. Younger people now don't remember that. So I don't think the weather is so strange now it is just going back to what it used to be.

When I first moved to South Texas we had 20s during part of the winter and now that is coming back again. Don't like it. That's why I moved south. But those temps are few and far between. We have the next week predicted to be in the 40s and 50s for highs, 30s to 40s for low. Just like it was when I moved here in the 80s.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

I feel it. It only gets down to 28 or so at night here, but I have a single pane window in my bedroom and no furnace at the moment. Gets down to about 38 degrees in my room some nights

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Painterz
Yeah, the storm was pretty bad. It's been below freezing here in the Highlands of Scotland the last 3 or 4 days, snow on the ground. But today? It's practically t-shirt weather.
i was out in the garden planting daffodils earlier today but i remember 97 i think in the highlands and the windchill was minus 55 recorded on the kessock bridge the petrol froze in my saab f that was a cold year

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Aktulu

Ah yes, life near the Arctic Circle. Don't know how you guys manage, it definitely takes a special breed.
I've noticed that in the past - it seems that when we get our really cold snaps here, it's usually warmer up there in your neck of the woods. I always exclaim "OMG it's colder here than in Alaska!"

Such an interesting rock we live on mother Earth... The delicate balancing act between freezing and roasting and the ability of we humans to adapt to such adverse conditions...

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
This, flooding, a helicopter crash and a geomagnetic storm and a tidal surge........

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I've been driving 15 - 20 MPH on the roads here in Texas. Who would have thought we would have a full inch or more of ice on our roads? Whats really annoying though is that these dummies don't know how to drive on ice. I do. So they ride my rear end going down the road. If I slowed down they wouldn't be able to and would slam into me. Lawsuit waiting to happen.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Sunday, September 1, 2013
Is there a real threat from comet ison this fall? Do you see any significant events on or around October 1st, 2013? Could this be an excuse for the powers that be to false-flag a black out and martial law, with bank holiday? Do you see anything like that? Then, when we pass thru the tail/debris (early 2014) we could get hit with who knows what ,even a space virus or Black Death. You have said that we will see electricity go wonky as the red comet comes closer. Can you try again to pinpoint a date at which all will be aware of the changes coming? How bad will it get? will the sun become so intense that only those underground will survive?
4:04 PM
A. The first thing I see is a lot of activity in the Northern part of the Atlantic Ocean. It looks like huge chunks of ice keep breaking off and apart...The ice is like huge pieces like the size of house. And the ice breaking off looks like a sign for more things to happen later, but the ice is the first event. Then I see ice storms...and a lot of wind...in the North Eastern part of the US, and it looks to be in Maine / Vermont area, but it radiates out from there. And it looks like the weather that they get is brought from the Atlantic Ocean inland, rather than being brought from the West Coasts towards the east. It looks like the weather is coming from the North. The East Coast gets his way harder than the West Coast. And it looks like fall hit our country (or the United States), at two different times. Like the East coast jumps almost straight to winter, but the West coast is like stuck in the high temperatures of summer.
Q. Is there a real threat from comet ison this all?
A. It looks to me that, we do not get hit by a comet, but some debris around the comet makes it's way into our atmosphere. And it looks like it hits, either in, or really close to Greenlands, like the northern part of Greenland. And that is what causes, those huge chunks of ice to break apart, and then it starts this weather chain reaction. I see New York, and the Northern states above New York, hit with a lot of snow, almost blizzard like, and I keep flashing to that movie we watched, the one with all the snow at the station. The Day After Tomorrow. My mind just wants to focus on the snow in that movie. I keep seeing December with that also. Like we will see all that snow in December.

www.ashtarcommandcrew.net...

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
-41F in Horse Ridge Oregon last night, -30F in Redmond. Pretty dang cold for Oregon!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join