It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ice Storm: Temperatures Drop To -29C In US!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Temperatures have plunged to -29C in parts of the US as a deadly cold snap continued to grip much of the country.

Montana and South Dakota saw -29C during the day on Saturday while much of the Midwest was hit by temperatures around -17C to -7C.

Wind chill readings could drop as low as -46C in northwestern Minnesota, weather officials said.

Sky News

WOW!

Now I am not one for posting weather updates on ATS by my god, wind chill of -46, thats pretty impressive (not to mention cold)

Apparently this so called "ice storm" is causing all kind of disruption and some have even sadly died as a result of this cold snap.

It would be very interesting to here form our American Cousins as to how they are coping with this and their experiences of this horrible weather.

Hope you guys are all doing ok!

edit on 8-12-2013 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 06:00 AM
link   
It's very cold in western Canada as well. The windchill has been brutally cold from the arctic outflow winds pushing down from the Yukon. Still though I've experienced worse.

I saw on the news there was snow in Arkansas and Texas.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Meanwhile over here in Scotland I'm walking the dog in warm rain in Winter! Looks like the change in the jet stream is messing with our weather.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Holy crap. -46C? That's just nasty. Stay well everyone out there.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   

yorkshirelad

Meanwhile over here in Scotland I'm walking the dog in warm rain in Winter! Looks like the change in the jet stream is messing with our weather.

Yeah, absurdly warm in London today. Might even break 10C.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 06:22 AM
link   

yorkshirelad

Yeah I am also in Scotland and just the other day I nipped down to tbe shops in a shirt yet in texas its way below freezing.

Pretty amazing in a way

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   

im surprised, did you whether the storm that the UK/scotland had?

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by dmremixer

Yeah but it passed us a few days ago since then it has been very mild for this time of year.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Yeah, the storm was pretty bad. It's been below freezing here in the Highlands of Scotland the last 3 or 4 days, snow on the ground. But today? It's practically t-shirt weather.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   

I am in the midwest and we were in a freezer yesterday, when I woke up yesterday morning it was -15 Celsius ... in comparison it is warm this morning as it is -7 degrees Celsius but today it appears we have ice falling out of the sky! (we didn't have that yesterday)

But yeah, its bad all over the United States, the same storm is making its way across the United States and is effecting just about everyone!

I am wearing my thermals even inside the house these last couple of days!
edit on 8-12-2013 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   
If this weather is caused by global warming, the warmists can keep it, so if we get a mini ice age, there will be heatwaves and droughts?

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   
It's unseasonably cold here at minus 9 Celsius. Says 'feels like minus 14'. The wind has calmed down so it's not feeling as cold as earlier today and yesterday. It's been like this the last week or so.

in south western British Columbia

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   
It's 7 degrees here right now; yesterday afternoon it was 11 with some pretty strong winds making it worse; today at least no wind. Those temps aren't really that unusual for us it's just been a few years since we've really had them. Hardest part of this weather is keeping the horses watered.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   

As far as I'm concerned.... The Milder the Better!

Less cash going to the Energy Firms who have just hiked their costs up!! Lets hope it stays mild through winter and doesn't drop below 7 or 8c

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
It's unusally warm over here in my part of England im wearing a t-shirt in december, I remeber when I was a kid in the 90's it would be snowing in december one time it was over my knees and school was cancelled.
Last time it snowed here where I live was about 5 years ago and the snow was maby less than 1cm deep and melted the next day.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
It's currently -20F with a wind chill of -40F here in North Dakota.

Doing some shopping this morning.

Patience. Take your time.
Dress in layers.
Don't panic.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Outside thermometer now says that it's 11.5C in London. I might not even need a scarf when I walk the dog now.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Yeah we got -17 the other day, in Southern BC, a very rare event, though not the record low recorded. But I never remembered a day like that in my 50 years. December should average -4, though most of it should be green, snow just before Christmas, in reality. And -4 average for January, which means chinooks of melt offs and a couple colder weeks.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by yorkshirelad

i was also walking my dog in the scottish rain as you posted that ... and long may it continue ... cos im not looking forward to those mental winters of a few years ago ...

I bought a treadmill for the dog just in case they return ...
www.youtube.com...

these winters a few years ago, were kinda eye openers for me .. i know its not teh worst weve all endured .. but as an adult now .. and seeing that huge sheet of ice that smothered europe is just scary .. cos pretty much the whole population was completely helpless to do anything but endure it, and it seemed i was the only person who was starting to think, this could get serious .. and hope our personal and national supplies outlast it ... tho im sure most everyone else was secretly inwardly starting to have alarm bells ringing ..

being at the mercy of the weather like that reminds me how easily things 'could' change, and the earth could recreate one of its extreme pasts ... not meaning to turn this into doom ... but it is scary seeing those pics of a huge sheet of snow or ice ... and knowing your bang in the middle of it ...

Good luck to you all stuck in there ....

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Where I'm at in the Midwest, this kind of weather is not unheard of, but we usually don't get it until January or February, so it's earlier than usual.

It's like beezzer said - Bundle up, take extra time to get where you're going, and be patient. Additionally for this area since people seem to panic at the least sign of moisture falling from the sky, plan any outings around the weather if you can and stay home as much as possible. It's not that you can't drive in the bad conditions, it's that no one else seems to be able to (not joking, folks seem to think four-wheel drive makes them absolutely immune to any and all adverse road conditions here so that's bad recipe when mixed with ice).

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join