It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Wages of Sin is Death", a Bad Translation

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

Sorry, "as here" meant "in Romans ch4 v25". That was the verse where DIA was followed by a noun in the accusative case.

The relevant phrases are DIA TA PARAPTOMATA HEMON ("on account of our trespasses") in Romans ch4 v25, and PERI TON HAMARTION HEMON ("on account of our sins") in 1 John ch4 v10

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   

The origin of the word is meaningless for this discussion. This is about what did the word mean at the time. It's clear that is used in several different ways demonstrating a broad meaning to the word much like we use the word wage today. I showed several verses and highlighted how the word is used. The problem is that doesn't fit into your preconceived notions.

The very fact that English uses SEVERAL words to fully translate the ONE word of opsōnion is evidence your position is wrong and mine is right.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

it definitely didn't mean that people are supposed to take a chainsaw an go out into the woods and fields and plantations in Florida and California where they have a lot of fruit trees and cut them down.

real trees... the ones with bark and apples and oranges on them.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Luke 3:9
And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: every tree therefore which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

the wages for sin are eternal damnation...

the wages for serving the lord God are an honoring to him and being a witness...

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

The problem is that doesn't fit into your preconceived notions.
My "preconceived" understanding would have been more in line with what I am currently criticizing.
I had to go through an actual learning process to arrive at my present understanding.

The very fact that English uses SEVERAL words to fully translate the ONE word of opsōnion is evidence your position is wrong and mine is right.
Just quoting a verse doesn't "prove" anything.
Can you explain how it "proves" your position, whatever that is.
I guess it is that death is an acceptable payment for your work and that was exactly what Paul meant when he wrote Romans 6:23.
edit on 8-12-2013 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 05:29 AM
link   

I don't mean to butt in but your take on it is too literal.

what is your take on "the root of the trees" in Luke 3:9

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   

jmdewey60
he wrote Romans 6:23.

real death is explained in alot of places in the bible, and it is not the act of dying or being killed.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Poor easily confused brethren.

You reap what you sow.

You know, I don't think the guy who wrote what he imagined god was thinking, was actually imagining some guy with a seed fiddle..

And that's what you get when you stuff a book full of metaphors designed to befuddle and control you. Inconclusiveness, division and discontent after the masters have been deposed.

Just don't start any wars now, or cut people into parts. That's not nice to do.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by SisyphusRide

As a prediction of the destruction of the Jerusalem temple cult.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

it is only designed to strike fear... and I don't believe this is your battle in this thread.

this is a discussion between theologies who pretty much run the joint down on real earth reality.

their conscious is quite defined...

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 06:05 AM
link   

jmdewey60
reply to post by SisyphusRide

As a prediction of the destruction of the Jerusalem temple cult.

heavy! but no I do not agree...

I believe it means to cut them down with the word of God, those stone hearted walking spiritually dead or corrupt peoples.

there is no discrimination or pointing out peoples for Gods word...

may the truth set you free, and may the best word win.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join