It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any ATS members playing on Chess.com?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
It's been a looooooooong time since I played any serious chess, and stumbled into Chess.com a couple months back. Very nice structure for online games and tournaments.

Any ATS members playing there?

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   

SkepticOverlord
It's been a looooooooong time since I played any serious chess, and stumbled into Chess.com a couple months back. Very nice structure for online games and tournaments.

nice find i used to be a major nut for chess i had one of the kasparov computers many years ago and played it non stop for a year after work i had to put it away in the end i think i gave it to my brother .

but i can see a few games getting played now how are you getting on with it

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I'll check it out. Usually I just play against my iPod..

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by geobro

Rusty at first. Initially, with the 2D boards, it was hard to "see" what was going on for me. A few weeks back the upgraded the web version (not iPad app
) to have a 3D board option… much better for me.

I just entered a tournament last week… round robin, 10 games against 5 opponents in each tier… still on the first tire and am 4/5 with the fifth game looking not so good for me.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Tucket

I was reluctant to pay the extra fees at first, but it's worth it. Playing actual humans, and the unpredictable tactics you'll get, is much better than computer play. Computers play the odds and rarely show a gambit, humans take risks.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Is this really a plug for Chess.com?

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ReVoLuTiOn76

They're HUGE, they need no plug from us.

But if there are ATS members playing there… might be fun to have an ATS tournament.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   

I just signed up and had a look. I found navigating the site to be a bit confusing; tried looking for a noob chat room.. I remember joining a chess site years ago and it was easy to sign up and play other people for free. I didn't realize I have to pay to play other people on this one.. Have you checked out other sites?

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Tucket

Yeah, looked at a few others. I like this one as it has a sophisticated ranking system, and the annual fees aren't too bad for what you get. The tactics trainer alone is worth the cost of admission in my opinion.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   

geobro

SkepticOverlord

nice find i used to be a major nut for chess i had one of the kasparov computers many years ago and played it non stop for a year after work i had to put it away in the end i think i gave it to my brother .

but i can see a few games getting played now how are you getting on with it

Last time I played chess was BattleChess on the ol' XT. Or was it the c64. Ahh who cares, they were beasts.

clunk, clang, chunk, bang.. I could never win anyway...

Chess.. it's like sitting still only faster..

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   

SkepticOverlord

Tucket

I was reluctant to pay the extra fees at first, but it's worth it. Playing actual humans, and the unpredictable tactics you'll get, is much better than computer play. Computers play the odds and rarely show a gambit, humans take risks.

you know, there is a small 'games' section of ATS yet to be discovered.

For the lonely souls who hit refresh over and over on the NEW posts page looking for things to do on a sunday arvo.

I am sure someone would be able to fix a human vs human interaction thing.. it might even take the focus off the loss of chat !

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Yeah there is a free forum chess game. Whoever posts first and second get to play. I'll look at chess.com my buddy and I play via email already.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   

winofiend

SkepticOverlord

Tucket

you know, there is a small 'games' section of ATS yet to be discovered.

For the lonely souls who hit refresh over and over on the NEW posts page looking for things to do on a sunday arvo.

I am sure someone would be able to fix a human vs human interaction thing.. it might even take the focus off the loss of chat !

There's a game section? Where?

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Hi Skeptic, I used to play at Yahoo games but I heard Chess.com is really fantastic today indeed.
I am off the board for a while, but I wouldn't miss an ATS Chess tournament

Really good to know you are keen on Chess playing!

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Chess, and the idea of playing against opponents from around the world
was the first thing that drew me to the WWW.

The very first thing I did online was become a member at Caissa's Web,
a small chess server.

Played everyday for years....then started to become picky about
opponents. It seems alot of people were using computer programs
to cheat. It takes a lttle bit of chess savvy to spot--but computers
play differently from humans.

So now I just figure why bother and skip the middleman
and play the computer.

My username Rival is the first nick I had online at that server.
Back in the day it was hard to find an opponent and the nick helped
abit I supposed,

So, if you could organize a member tourney of some sort
I would be very interested.
edit on 8-12-2013 by rival because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

i remember loading the amstrad up with tapes seems like a million years ago now but i found playing chess with a computer far better people are to slow it did my head in ,

but i swear that kasparov used to cheat when you replayed the moves backwards it would not do it

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Sorry to bump an old thread but if anyone wants to play on chess.com my username is SquirmingCoil.

top topics

join