It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Mexico Officer in Van Shooting Is Fired

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   

abcnews.go.com...

The New Mexico State Police officer who fired shots at a minivan full of children during a chaotic October traffic stop has been fired, a spokesman with the law enforcement agency said Friday.

Lt. Emmanuel Gutierrez, a State Police spokesman, said he confirmed with State Police Chief Pete Kassetas that Officer Elias Montoya was no longer employed by the department. Montoya's termination was effective at 5 p.m. Friday.

Montoya has 30 days to appeal his firing to the Public Safety Advisory Commission, which is made up of civilians appointed by the governor. Montoya, who had been with the department for about 12 years, doesn't have a listed phone number.

The officer was placed on administrative leave with pay earlier this week following an investigation into the shooting outside the northern New Mexico tourist town of Taos. On Tuesday, he was notified that the agency proposed to fire him, and Kassetas, in consultation with Department of Public Safety Secretary Gorden Eden, made the final decision after a disciplinary hearing Thursday.

Hey look at that, sometimes these out of control police officers are actually held responsible! I applaud the New Mexico police department & Department of Public Safety Secretary Gorden Eden for doing the right thing!

Related ATS Thread

Cop Fires on Van Full of kids (Viral Video)

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Swills

abcnews.go.com...

The New Mexico State Police officer who fired shots at a minivan full of children during a chaotic October traffic stop has been fired, a spokesman with the law enforcement agency said Friday.

Lt. Emmanuel Gutierrez, a State Police spokesman, said he confirmed with State Police Chief Pete Kassetas that Officer Elias Montoya was no longer employed by the department. Montoya's termination was effective at 5 p.m. Friday.

Montoya has 30 days to appeal his firing to the Public Safety Advisory Commission, which is made up of civilians appointed by the governor. Montoya, who had been with the department for about 12 years, doesn't have a listed phone number.

The officer was placed on administrative leave with pay earlier this week following an investigation into the shooting outside the northern New Mexico tourist town of Taos. On Tuesday, he was notified that the agency proposed to fire him, and Kassetas, in consultation with Department of Public Safety Secretary Gorden Eden, made the final decision after a disciplinary hearing Thursday.

Hey look at that, sometimes these out of control police officers are actually held responsible! I applaud the New Mexico police department & Department of Public Safety Secretary Gorden Eden for doing the right thing!

Related ATS Thread

Cop Fires on Van Full of kids (Viral Video)

I agree and disagree that he was held accountable. Has he or is he facing charges of reckless endangerment as well? Also, if he had hit any of the people in the vehicle, what else if anything do you think would have been done? I think nothing other than he lose of job. Why? Because that seems to be the going trend for officers who endanger or injure people.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

He is most certainly not being held accountable. Being held accountable would be getting brought up on attempted murder.

Getting fired is better than nothing and better than what we normally see, though... so there's that.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Should he be brought up on charges? Absolutely, but will he? Probably not. The police protect their own so the best that can be hoped for in this case is that he is fired and no longer on the force where he was a danger to society.

We're lucky he's been fired. We've all seen cops do far worse and keep their jobs. SWAT teams come to mind.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

The problem is we only have one side of this story.

For all we know he was about to quit or take extended leave or change careers and this was an opportune time for justice to be seen being served while actually just sweeping it under the rug.

WE will never know.

I hope no one ever shoots at his entire family for not stopping their vehicle tho. What a scumbag.

edit on 7-12-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Just like always, he will probably transfer to another P.D., and get another job elsewhere. Just move the # to another location.
edit on 3/2/13 by w8tn4it because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   
He fired towards the tires, which is a much less riskier method than spike strips for taking out the tires and would possibly stop the car before actual innocent people were killed by this maniacal lady. Police can go way over the line, and should be help accountable for it, and I have no love for many LEO's. In this instance the criminals were in the vans, and this officer should keep his job.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by w8tn4it

I'm sure Xe will scoop him up... He seems like their caliber...

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   

OccamsRazor04
He fired towards the tires, which is a much less riskier method than spike strips for taking out the tires and would possibly stop the car before actual innocent people were killed by this maniacal lady. Police can go way over the line, and should be help accountable for it, and I have no love for many LEO's. In this instance the criminals were in the vans, and this officer should keep his job.
You are right! I watched the vid many times when it first came out and did not feel that the LEO in this case was wrong. Usually they are but it is no better to punish this guy than it is to let the real scumbags off the hook.

new topics

top topics

join