It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Would the Court System Handle a Siamese Twin that Kills Someone?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
This is really a stupid question but it has been bothering me for a while. How would the court system handle a Siamese twin who murdered someone. Let's say "charlie" and "Jason" are Siamese twins. "Charlie" picks up a gun and shots someone before "Jason" can stop him. "Charlie" is obviously guilty. What happens?

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Hm, good question. I wouldn't mind knowing, too.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by catfishjoe

That is one great question you got there .I wouldn't have a clue how that could turn out ..S&F I will be peeking to see how this thread goes . edit to add ..I wonder who's controlling what hand ...
edit on 7-12-2013 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Oh, great, now it's bothering me too! They couldn't really incarcerate the innocent one, could they? I wonder if it's ever happened?

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Really this would depend a lot on the particulars of the case, the jurisdiction it happened in and the competency of the lawyers.

Now, even thou one of the conjoined twins did not commit the homicide; the question for the prosecution would be what role the other twin played in the planning, committing and possible concealment of the crime. It is most likely the twin who did not commit the offence would be seen an an accessory to the homicide, and therefore would serve some custodial sentence.

DISCLAIMER: If you are a conjoined twin reading this--this is not legal advice. If you are planning on killing someone, please consult a qualified criminal lawyer in your jurisdiction. Or hire a hit-man.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Jebbaroo
Oh, great, now it's bothering me too! They couldn't really incarcerate the innocent one, could they? I wonder if it's ever happened?

I'm not finding anything online, other than an assault case involving Chan and Chen....which was dropped due to the judge not wanting to send an innocent man to jail.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   

catfishjoe
This is really a stupid question but it has been bothering me for a while. How would the court system handle a Siamese twin who murdered someone. Let's say "charlie" and "Jason" are Siamese twins. "Charlie" picks up a gun and shots someone before "Jason" can stop him. "Charlie" is obviously guilty. What happens?

From a defence perspective, with the scenario presented (and without all facts known), a argument of "self-defence" would be presented as a mitigating factor in the shooting--based solely on the reaction time (too quick that even his conjoined twin could not stop him). If this mitigating factor is taken into account, and the fact of the medical condition of the accused, it could be the case that Charlie dos not receive a custodial sentence.

(post by Atlantican removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
after 8 weeks in incarceration, with the fluorescent lights always on, and sirens ringing every 20 minutes, jason will tell on his stupid brother...

or... both would just be waterboarded...

theres your solution.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

I really, really hope you don't work in law enforcement...

Or as a state prosecutor.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Assuming one twin had no idea what was going to happen, and had no chance to stop the murder, then that twin is completely innocent, and I for one would say that person should NOT be locked up.

Could these twins be the only people on the planet that could get away with murder???

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Tough one huh? If they vote...do they vote twice? There's a ton of sex questions but I would hate to offend anyone.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Seek the death penalty for Charlie and if you get it then lobotomize him.
No matter what they do Jason would be affected but unfortunately there is no work around that because the finger that pulled the trigger belongs to both of them.
Doesn't one twin control the body more than the other in most cases? That would make Charlie the dominate one.
This would be a landmark court decision for sure.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Atlantican

Well.. One of them gets really really drunk then!

(Oh lol oops)

My question is, what if one assaults the other? Like, real hardcore gbh?

Maybe they'll just do what that uk lot did recently to the biploar woman. Force her to undergo surgery to remover her baby.. or in this case, forced separation.

Or sedate one for the duration of the incarceration.

redacted to save my neck.
edit on 7-12-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Well,
There are "special" programs for that type of behavior.
Recruitment is discretionary.

Cases like this often never make it to the courtroom.

In those days,the Motto was, its our show or the freak show.

S a v v y ?

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   
This would make for a great short story. If someone pays me in advance, I'll write it! Two brains two minds? One body one soul? Flight risk? This is surely a case for Fletch!!! Du dunuh du nuhuh danuhanuhanuhuh synthesizer please....(Fletch theme)

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Well im guessing in Texas... its execution for charlie and manslaughter by neglegance to jason!

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 04:54 AM
link   

I know someone already concluded it would be accomplice.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 05:17 AM
link   

cartenz
Really this would depend a lot on the particulars of the case, the jurisdiction it happened in and the competency of the lawyers.

Now, even thou one of the conjoined twins did not commit the homicide; the question for the prosecution would be what role the other twin played in the planning, committing and possible concealment of the crime. It is most likely the twin who did not commit the offence would be seen an an accessory to the homicide, and therefore would serve some custodial sentence.

DISCLAIMER: If you are a conjoined twin reading this--this is not legal advice. If you are planning on killing someone, please consult a qualified criminal lawyer in your jurisdiction. Or hire a hit-man.
The other one would be an excessory / partner in crime which sometimes mean a lesser sentence, however in this case that would not apply. The death penalty would have to be commuted I would think.
If only one was found guilty then the other's head could be caged for 20 years like an iron mask.
What is though that they both denied it and th jury could not agree a verdict would they both be convicted or freed?

Gets more complicated though if its one body with 2 heads! Or 3 even!

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   

RP2SticksOfDynamite
The other one would be an excessory / partner in crime which sometimes mean a lesser sentence, however in this case that would not apply.

an accessory to a crime is most likely liable for a lesser charge, yes. Why in this case that would not apply is subject to a number of factors...

The death penalty would have to be commuted I would think.

See, in the world outside "merrika", the death penalty is often considered barbaric; to impose a death sentence to a conjoined twin, being that death would result with the other dying also is beyond any fabrication of "crime reduction"

If only one was found guilty then the other's head could be caged for 20 years like an iron mask.

Even in the most persecutory prison system (ie: the USA), people are (should not be) subject to cruel and unusual punishment.

What is though that they both denied it and th jury could not agree a verdict would they both be convicted or freed?

This is the pefect argument against jury's. A learned adjudicator should cast verdict, they understand law.

Gets more complicated though if its one body with 2 heads! Or 3 even!

No, it doesnt, this is why the law is progressive;.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join