It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

shouldn't graduating from high school be law now?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Now with No Child Left Behind act, shouldn't they make graduating from high school law by now? I mean most jobs today require some sort of education requirement unless you want to be a burger flipper these days. Right now, the law states the kid must at least stay in school until the age of 16, where he/she can drop without parents getting into trouble. There should be a law requiring kids to graduate from high school or under special circumstances at least get there GED. Here is some information on high school dropout rates.
_javascript:void(_search=open('http://www.topfivesearch.com/search.asp?cf=1&aff_id=47897&uu=19705571976&mt=high+school+dropout+rates','_search',' toolbar=1,menubar=1,location=1,status=1,scrollbars=1,resizable=1'));_search.blur()

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   
search.netscape.com... 3504a3b%26clickedItemRank%3D10%26userQuery%3Dhigh%2Bschool%2Bdropout%2Brates%26clickedItemURN%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.infoplease.com%252Fipa%252FA077 9196.html%26invocationType%3D-%26fromPage%3DNSCPTop%26amp%3BampTest%3D1&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.infoplease.com%2Fipa%2FA0779196.html

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   
No, it is not the job our government to legislate a child graduating. If by the age of 16, a child decides to drop out, he should be able to do so.

Many, many people have gotten their GED's and gone on to college and become successful.

We do NOT need more laws, esp those restricting our rights. Even if it is a right that may not be in our best interest.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I disagree with you dontreadonme we need a law requiring the youth to graduate. I agree with you on the fact that they can get their GEDS. We have a right to our kids to make sure they get a education even if that means we must make a law for them to graduate.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 10:59 PM
link   
yes they shoud make it somewhat a law. like back in between 20's and 40's you quit school you join the army that would keep kids in school.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 11:13 PM
link   
In my opinion, no. The people that want to learn, will learn. The people who want to drop out will drop out, and if they aren't allowed, it would just make life that much more miserable for high school kids.

We'll always need ditch diggers.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Why do you want to do this?

Do you feel it will contribute to the greater good of the human race? I mean, if someone doesn't want to go to school that's their life/decision.

Let it be as is.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
We don't need a law forcing children to attend school until they graduate.

If a student doesn't want to be there, he/she shouldn't have to be. It's just a waste of money trying to teach a child who doesn't want to learn. They want out? Let them. It's their life, let them screw it up if they want to.

Besides which, the American educational system is becoming nothing more a joke these days with laws like No Kid Left Behind out there.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Absolutely not! What if you want to 'flip burgers' as you said. The government should have less control over our lives and not more.

Choose to choose and deal with the consequences of your actions.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I'm surprised that so many people on a conspiracy site -- i.e., people who are supposed to distrust the government -- want a government-mandated "educated" (to government standards, of course) citizenry.

I think any person who chooses not to get an education is a fool, but people should have the right to be fools.

Of course, I distrust the government; maybe that's why I feel the way I do.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Hmm...I have to disagree with making it a law...

What happens if they break this law? Jail? Fine?

I agree with your point that all people should be graduating from high school....at least! But there is something that doesn't sound right by making it law...

[edit on 11/19/2004 by Lecky]

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Heck, i didnt graduate and now am working in a factory. Not a big deal considering i'm still more educated than most of the rednecks i c writing on message forums lol. Plus i was in depression so forcing me to go wouldve resulted in bad consequences for other ppl.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Our poor teachers are overstressed, overworked and underpaid now. If the system is going to force more unruly kids who don't want to learn anything on them, how much longer do you think most of them will still be willing to teach? Most have a hard enough time with the kids they have now.

I think that trying to force this issue would be a huge mistake! If people want to mess up their lives, last time I checked, this was America and they have the right to. Granted, those of us to do graduate will end up paying for a good portion of those that don't in one way or another, but that's a discussion for a different time....

[edit on 19-11-2004 by dragn]

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I got kicked out of high school in the 10th grade. They did say I was the politest and most well mannered villian they had ever seen. A month later I went and got my GED at a Community Collage. It took about 3 hours. I was 16. Later, I went to collage and now work in the highly technical field of computers. No employer in the past 20 years has asked for my high school diploma or inquired about the circumstances that cause me to put a Community Collage down for where I attended High School.

The indoctrination and babysitting service that our public school systems have become needs a re-design. There should be more options and paths than this cookie cutter system that points every single individual at the same goal. No, it shouldn't be a law that you have to get yet another piece of paper, that considering the sad quality of many teachers, basically just means that you endured the mind numbing and spirit breaking process they have established to get the piece of paper.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Canada, I'm pretty sure, has recently raised the age citizens are required to be in school - from 16 to 18. Either this has already been put in place, or it will be very soon.

I guess this is a good way of keeping students in school longer.

Personally I think it's a good idea. The decision of whether to become more educated or not is without a doubt better made at age 18. So many critical things are developing (views/beliefs are kind of solidifying more) during those 2 years...

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   
if you ask me we should do away with a couple of years in high school and in middle school. here in Michagan your first 2 years in high school is a repeat of most of middle school. they need to make it so you can major in what you want to in high school. most people that like math and science dont like history and lit and visa vesa. why wast 5 or 6 yours of your life learning about something you could give two craps about.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
The last thing we need are more laws. Most of the laws we have now only benefit the few. How would you control such a law and what would you do to the ones who broke it?

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Why does it even matter if you graduate or not? I mean if you don't it's your choice. You won't make it very far unless you get your GED, but say you get permanently expelled from school. You have to get your GED, you can't go back to highschool. Think about it people, don't be stupid. You can't just say there should be a law for graduating, when some people can't handle school like other people. Yeah, I'm still in highschool and I can handle it, but my friend, who was expelled last week couldn't. Think about other people first and how they feel about school before saying there should be any kind of law for graduating. It's your choice, not the governments!!

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 02:43 AM
link   
>> You won't make it very far unless you get your GED...

I believe Henry Ford never graduated...

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
No, it is not the job our government to legislate a child graduating. If by the age of 16, a child decides to drop out, he should be able to do so.

Many, many people have gotten their GED's and gone on to college and become successful.

We do NOT need more laws, esp those restricting our rights. Even if it is a right that may not be in our best interest.

I couldn't agree more. Our rights are being taken from us one by one, letting us slowly getting used to the idea of having someone tell us how to live.

It is true that it is a right for a child to get an education. Many of our rights can be willingly given up (voting for example); why should this right be any different.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join