It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University’s Student Government Bans Offensive Speech

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by FatherStacks

decides what is offensive? I'm of the opinion that you either have freedom of speech or you don't. There's no middle ground. The whole "your free to say what you want, but have to accept the consequences" argument is a cop-out. If there are consequences, then where's the freedom part?

I agree, unless there's clear and present danger.

For example, to this day it is illegal to yell fire in a theater. This makes sense because in doing so, you are creating a panic and a dangerous situation.

Speech, offensive speech is a matter of interpretation by the person hearing it, AND the intent of the person who said it.

It's not at all hard to discern when somebody says a certain word, with the intention of offending, belittling etc..

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Speech that incites violence is considered hate speech.

If someone was giving a speech or passing out flyers that said, "Kill every black person you see" I would consider shutting him up.

But if someone was saying, "I hate black people", it's just his opinion.

(caveat; I'm not white)

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   

kaylaluv

beezzer

kaylaluv
Gee, I wonder why ATS doesn't allow "offensive" language? Why do they remove posts that talk about how Hitler was a hero, and was right to do what he did? Why do they remove posts that bash the victims of Sandy Hook, etc.? Oppressing our freedom of speech, Shame on you, ATS!!!!!!!!!

Private club vs state university.

You're FOR this?

Look at the reasons behind it, Beezer. WHY does ATS not allow certain language? What is their reasoning behind their rules? What if I wanted to call you a certain name for someone who is not totally white? Do you think ATS would ding me for that? Why would they do that? Maybe because it would be ..... offensive?? What if you wanted to call me a certain 4-letter word reserved for females, starting with the letter C, and ending in the letters NT?

I think the student government has the same reasonings for their rule as ATS has for theirs. There is no reason to say hurtful, nasty things to each other when discussing ideas, issues, events, etc.

You should be free to say anything you wanted about me.

I don't have an obligation to listen or respond.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   

beezzer

kaylaluv

beezzer

kaylaluv
Gee, I wonder why ATS doesn't allow "offensive" language? Why do they remove posts that talk about how Hitler was a hero, and was right to do what he did? Why do they remove posts that bash the victims of Sandy Hook, etc.? Oppressing our freedom of speech, Shame on you, ATS!!!!!!!!!

You're FOR this?

Look at the reasons behind it, Beezer. WHY does ATS not allow certain language? What is their reasoning behind their rules? What if I wanted to call you a certain name for someone who is not totally white? Do you think ATS would ding me for that? Why would they do that? Maybe because it would be ..... offensive?? What if you wanted to call me a certain 4-letter word reserved for females, starting with the letter C, and ending in the letters NT?

I think the student government has the same reasonings for their rule as ATS has for theirs. There is no reason to say hurtful, nasty things to each other when discussing ideas, issues, events, etc.

That's not what ATS thinks. If you are that mad about them restricting our speech, I'm surprised you haven't left the site in a huff.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   

kaylaluv

beezzer

kaylaluv

beezzer

kaylaluv

You're FOR this?

That's not what ATS thinks. If you are that mad about them restricting our speech, I'm surprised you haven't left the site in a huff.

Private club.

Ironically, this comes just recently over an issue mods had with an OP of mine.

I stated that it was their house, their rules. I would broker no argument.

ATS is not Speakers Corner.
ATS is not a free speech zone.

But I can tailor my speech here to get my point across.

I could go to other sites that had fewer restrictions, but don't have the same quality level as found here.

Yet, I do post on other sites, other forums. I'm actually a contributing editor on another site. Ironically, it is a British site that provides more freedom than many American sites.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   

beezzer

Speech that incites violence is considered hate speech.

If someone was giving a speech or passing out flyers that said, "Kill every black person you see" I would consider shutting him up.

But if someone was saying, "I hate black people", it's just his opinion.

(caveat; I'm not white)

Forgive me if I'm taking this conversation too seriously. This is where I start to feel conflicted. If, to use your example, someone says "Kill every black person you see" is that reason enough to shut them up? It's a depraved thought, and while I most definitely disagree with any statement like that, I don't think I would try to silence them- unless I could see there was intent to follow through.

Thinking or saying something monstrous is not the same as doing something monstrous. I would apply that reasoning to any situation- but I'd certainly have to think really long and hard about the context each time.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I guess they can try and do whatever they want, I wouldnt be surprised if no one followed it and besides how could they possible enforce this. What a bunch of asses, I have noticed a trend of this type of stuff going on in and around campuses, maybe its just the kids thinking they are impacting the world and making it a better place (facepalm)

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   

It would have to be taken in context, I suppose.

If the speaker was passing out weapons and said, "Kill every black person you see" I would be very concerned.

If the speaker was just saying that at a tailgate and drinking beer? Not so much.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   

"Kill every black person you see" is that reason enough to shut them up? It's a depraved thought, and while I most definitely disagree with any statement like that, I don't think I would try to silence them- unless I could see there was intent to follow through.

There lies the problem intent. Was it said in jest? Or is it a member of the KKK at a rally, trying to start a race war, or a violent confrontation? That's what needs to be addressed, which is why we have laws and courts and a jury to determine such things.

IMO, if I saw somebody standing on a street corner, yelling " Let's kill all the Christians", I would go myself and shut him up, as he's a dangerous person, who intends on passing a message of violence amongst people.

Nobody needs that, and if that's censorship than so be it.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I guess my point is where the line gets drawn on acceptable vs. unacceptable speech is a pretty subjective and grey area. Keeping that border as far out as possible isn't so much about protecting the more extreme, but rather to keep the more "mundane" (e.g. raising legit questions about a government, corporation, etc.) ideas safe.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

A resolution is meaningless words. There is no ban on offensive speech, there is a pledge from members of a committee to not personally use offensive language.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   

FatherStacks
I guess my point is where the line gets drawn on acceptable vs. unacceptable speech is a pretty subjective and grey area. Keeping that border as far out as possible isn't so much about protecting the more extreme, but rather to keep the more "mundane" (e.g. raising legit questions about a government, corporation, etc.) ideas safe.

I would agree with that.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   

kaylaluv

beezzer

kaylaluv

beezzer

kaylaluv

You're FOR this?

What makes you think you have freedom of speech on this forum? You agreed to a set of rules when you joined this site and those rules state what you can or cannot say. I know I have been busted enough for breaking that rule.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   

TruthSeekerMike
reply to post by beezzer

A resolution is meaningless words. There is no ban on offensive speech, there is a pledge from members of a committee to not personally use offensive language.

What do you find offensive?

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

tothetenthpower
reply to post by badgerprints

Maybe I should just feel mildly nonplussed and defer to the wisdom of the kids who just reinvented censorship for the millionth time in history.

The sad part?

Probably the same kids who go to protests for OWS against "The Man", and cry foul over NSA spying and human rights abuses etc etc.

Yet perfectly happy establishing Draconian style censorship of speech in an environment that should encourage the exact opposite.

~Tenth

Yeah,
But unlike the evil "man", the kids are doing it for a good cause.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Ok, your avatar has me busting out.

Well done.

*applause*

Well done!

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
**EPIPHANY**
Now I know why God disturbed the languages at the tower of Babel. Oh what Id give to have that particular power.

Let the fools do this. I have a 7 yr old, 15 yr old and 20 yr old. I work with teens and 20 somethings at times. One thing I know without a doubt, you tell them they cant SAY something and theyll break their necks to say the very thing you have banned. My oldest said the dreaded F word when she was younger.. I gasped in motherly horror.. she said "no mom, the one spelled FUQ". People WILL find a way.Its just more fun when you put an obstacle in front of them.
Offensive speech is in the eye of the beholder and up to interpretation.. by whomever has the power ( or the paddle). Sometimes its worth the punishment to be your individual little self and not engage in group think... or endeavor to be a professionally offended whiner. Dangerous speech is a whole 'nother animal which is not even related to Offensive SPeech.. regardless of those certain people tryng to link the two. Let the fools legislate words themselves and not intent.. and get some popcorn to watch the chaos at university level. These young adults will be experiencing mob rule.. the mob tells them what they can say.. and they WILL rebel. Its just human nature to pull at the leash.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   

beezzer

Ok, your avatar has me busting out.

Well done.

*applause*

Well done!

Yeah, but you got me first.

We do like to have our fun.

We're still allowed to have fun right? Or did the University Student Panjandrum outlaw that as offensive to stick-in-the-muds?

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   

But unlike the evil "man", the kids are doing it for a good cause.

Perceived as a good cause, which is no different than how "The Man" sees it.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   

buster2010

kaylaluv

beezzer

kaylaluv

beezzer

kaylaluv

You're FOR this?

What makes you think you have freedom of speech on this forum? You agreed to a set of rules when you joined this site and those rules state what you can or cannot say. I know I have been busted enough for breaking that rule.

I am very aware that we don't have freedom of speech on this forum. All those in favor of freedom of speech should leave this site in protest! Those who don't leave, really don't have as much problem with restricting speech as they claim to.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join