It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO on Martian Sky - Curiosity's Sol 474

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Hello ATS,

Some interesting object appeared in Mastcam field of view when Curiosity was in process of capturing one of Martian's moon yesterday.
I am not familiar which moon is on images, it's either Phobos or Deimos, so I'll reference them only as moon.
Images are in chronological order.

Pic No.1 (moon on right Mastcam)
Mastcam: Right 2013-12-06 13:01:22 UTC

Pic No.2 (moon on left Mastcam)
Mastcam: Left 2013-12-06 13:01:23 UTC

Pic No.3 (UFO on left Mastcam)
Mastcam: Left 2013-12-06 13:01:59 UTC

Pic No.4 (UFO on right Mastcam with moon on the right side of the image)
Mastcam: Right 2013-12-06 13:01:59 UTC

What is that?

NASA source images:
Pic No.1
Pic No.2
Pic No.3
Pic No.4

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
looks squared off doesn't it, I doubt that curiosity is polar aligned, hence the streaking of , what ide say is a 15 second exposure at iso maybe 400.. you will notice a lot of red speckling in the second two picture, caused by increasing the cameras sensor sensitivity(iso)

funBox

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
It's certainly the same irregular shape in both cameras, that's not often seen, at the same time its very bright, blurred or otherwise. Maybe a part of Ison was captured in the earlier bypass, and somehow not seen until now.

Or, it could be another moon.
edit on 7-12-2013 by smurfy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by zilebeliveunknown

Elongated Moon due to exposure time that would also explain the overexposure of the object!

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I didn't know Mars had Chinese lanterns. Sorry. Couldn't resist.

No doubt about it. It's a monolith.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
It's Phobos in every image.

The elongated over exposed images are time lapses.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I'd have to agree with you guys. It's the moon.
Again, sloppy work coming from MSL scientists.
When will they learn to properly use the equipment they made? Is it that hard?

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   

funbox

looks squared off doesn't it, I doubt that curiosity is polar aligned, hence the streaking of , what ide say is a 15 second exposure at iso maybe 400.. you will notice a lot of red speckling in the second two picture, caused by increasing the cameras sensor sensitivity(iso)

funBox

Just thinking again on what you say. If the primary target for the picture is a Moon, that should have been a 'quicky' Given that, another Mars Moon picture is not then the reason for the motion blur, there must be a reason for a longer exposure. So, if the bright object is a Moon, then there must be something else in the picture that is the focus of attention, however I see now't. Mar's Rotational movement is much the same as Earth's, a little slower at 24hrs and 39mins whatever, and if they wanted to get a good picture of a Moon all the parameters are known, including any pre-programming needed for a good result.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Double post, not by me, Funky Gremlins at work..again.
edit on 7-12-2013 by smurfy because: Rats.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   

JadeStar
It's Phobos in every image.

The elongated over exposed images are time lapses.

Agree it is the same Moon and over exsposed to be sure, I don't think it could be called time lapse in either single frame picture taken simultaneously though.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

maybe they wanted to get the stars in but i imagine its some kind of exposure bracketing, heres one of my screw-ups at m42 , the trapezium has merged together and the stars are streaking pretty bad, over exposure and red grain are partying like its 1999.

funBox

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I agree, the formation looks like it is just one of the Martian moons.

Zip Monster

top topics

join