It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something Really Insane Just Happened In Congress, And You Probably Haven't Heard A Word About It

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

So politicians don't seek to influence 'we the people' and get compensation for it ?

Alrightie then.

Then turn around and buy people in it's various forms.

Then turn around and decry 'lobbyists'.

Politicians are lobbyists as I said.

edit on 8-12-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by saturnine_sweet

Actually, this mess began with the repeal of the Glass-Stegall Act of 1933. It was repealed under President Clinton's watch on November 12, 1999 and it was probably one of the biggest mistakes ever made by Congress.

dealbook.nytimes.com...

While the majority of problems that occurred centered mostly on the pure-play investment banks like Lehman Brothers, the huge banks born out of the revocation of Glass-Steagall, especially Citigroup, and the insurance companies that were allowed to deal in securities, like the American International Group, would not have run into trouble had the law still been in place.

“Commercial banks played a crucial role as buyers and sellers of mortgage-backed securities, credit-default swaps and other explosive financial derivatives,” Demos, a nonpartisan public policy and research organization, wrote in a report discussing the problems it said were caused by the repeal of Glass-Steagall.

“Without the watering down and ultimate repeal of Glass-Steagall, the banks would have been barred from most of these activities,” Demos said. “The market and appetite for derivatives would then have been far smaller, and Washington might not have felt a need to rescue the institutional victims.”

But 10 years ago, the revocation of Glass-Steagall drew few critics. In the House, 155 Democrats and 207 Republicans voted for the measure, while 51 Democrats, 5 Republicans and 1 independent opposed it. Fifteen members did not vote.

One of the leading voices of dissent was Senator Byron L. Dorgan, Democrat of North Dakota. He warned that reversing Glass-Steagall and implementing the Republican-backed Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act was a mistake whose repercussions would be felt in the future.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
For the life of me I can't see why people are only focused on a symptom of the larger disease.

The disease is government in general.

Politicians are lobbyists, they created them.

They figured out the bigger,,more power,more intrusive government gets lobbying grows.

People should have the right to 'lobby' for their cause. Whatever the hell it may be.

Hell that is why we are all doing in this thread. Even giving compensation to those who we 'agree' with in the form of them stars and flags. There is little difference between them and fiat currency. Both are make believe.

People,business, and unions all want to give money to help get their people elected they can have at it.

Personally never have given money to a politician.

Never will.

Better things to be spending my fiat currency on.

Want to decrease the power of lobbying?

Only way is to shrink the size, and power of government.
edit on 8-12-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

Even now it causes tears to well up in me eyes. I'm sure of just what this means.
I'm scrambling right now to get into trucking and hopefully save the day for my
clan. If only for a little while. Because I'm sure this time around it's going to bring
that industry down with all the rest. Make no mistake this is revenge on the
american people for forming unions and causing lil lord fontleroy to share some
of his wealth legally. We should've seen this coming, as they are a vindictive
bunch. This is our real doom and I do lament.
edit on 8-12-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

But 99.9% of the people who know will vote the same dirtbags back into office come next election.
Yeah, you’re so right!

Most Americans know our Gov. is fudging the American people. And still, they sit behind their computer screens doing nothing, complaining about it. You have to ask yourself, who’s worse, the idiots in Washington bending us over, or the American people who allow it to happen?

There are over 350,000,000 Americans in the United States. All it takes is a good 10,000 to storm congress and hang these idiots where they stand. You wouldn’t have to hang them all, just a few to show the rest what will happen if they don’t start representing the American people.

I make it a priority in my life to get out there and demonstrate against these a-holes! It’s not just about me; it’s about my children’s future, and the future of the American people. I just don’t understand how all these people “in the know”, can sit around doing nothing! How Americans can look at their children and tell them everything is going to be ok. Not only are you lying to yourself, but you’re also lying to your children. It’s pretty sad! I would tell all those people who know better to “WAKE UP”, but it won’t happen! And in saying so, why even waste the time in complaining about it? Do people actually believe complaining about it on an internet forum is somehow going to make everything all right? Again, you’re lying to yourself!

Again, so sad!

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Ironic to say that even as you demonstrate no actual knowledge of who they are or what they are about. Here's a hint--they aren't who MSNBC says they are. lol Not at all. In fact, many of them are among the pillars of their communities. And a shocking number of people agree with their core points, if told them before being told the moniker that the media has stigmatized.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   

That allowed certain activities to occur, but not the giant hole that is swallowing the world economy, in and of itself.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Propulsion

I kick myself in the butt every time I find myself unable to resist the reply icon.

I know it is a futile effort, but deep down I inside, I hope that maybe just one lurker will see the light and maybe, just maybe.......

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   

NightSkyeB4Dawn
reply to post by Propulsion

I kick myself in the butt every time I find myself unable to resist the reply icon.

I know it is a futile effort, but deep down I inside, I hope that maybe just one lurker will see the light and maybe, just maybe.......

Americans have got to come together as a whole. If we do not, the U.S. will fall. If we don’t unite and put our indifferences to the side, the day will come where we wished we had.

If there was a SHTF scenario tomorrow, and the United States of America were to go to hell in a hand basket, do people really think it would matter if you were a liberal, conservative, republican, democrat, Christian, atheist, etc..?

It all would mean nothing.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   

i suppose it is all about how we structure our government and regulate our businesses.

It is all about incentives.

Corruption might be contained through clever governance except the corrupt in business, politics, and society are willing to murder to achieve their goals.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Excellent post!! I agree with everything you said except this:

saturnine_sweet
The problem is the same problem it's always been--corruption. And every economic model and form of government suffers from it.

Except a truly independent, decentralized, secular, minarchistic state...

Only in a minarchistic society, where politics does not (and CANNOT by LAW) interfere with business (and vice versa!), nor with religion (and vice versa!) will we the people ever be the rightful political authority.

(Read the quote in my signature!!)
edit on 9-12-2013 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 04:00 AM
link   
I may sound incredidably stupid right now but, what exactly happened? I don't know what this means at all....

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Aislin
My rep voted "no" on H.R. 922. I sent her an email with my thanks. These people work for us. You have to let them know your position.

This is actually part of the problem. "Yay, my rep is awesome so I said thanks" does that absolve you? By random happenstance you got a non-corrupt representative or for "her" reasons she voted against. The issue isn't a local issue its a national issue. Frankly, no email or letter is going to change anything. Protesting isn't going to do much of anything either except to give their shock troops additional hands on training ruffling you up. Perhaps for giggles they'll line some of you up (i hear they prefer college students) and spray you all in the face with mace.

War has been waged already, long before 2008 that was just next phase as was 911. You don't see it yet? Our real choices are:

1.) pretend it's not real and continue to be a good and obedient slave. I mean hey what's a few million inprisoned or homeless and starving, to have a few hundred million earn you untold riches.

2.) "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." Quote from a man who learned the hard way.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   

neobludragon
I may sound incredidably stupid right now but, what exactly happened? I don't know what this means at all....

The house voted on legislation to remove a roadblock that prevents banks from gambling with your money on junk assets. Put simply.
edit on 9-12-2013 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 05:44 AM
link   
As I said in an earlier post www.abovetopsecret.com... this will never happen. It won't pass the Senate, Obama wouldn't sign it if it did, and I'd bet not one person participating in the D.C. comics, I mean political game, thinks it will be signed into law.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Aleister
As I said in an earlier post www.abovetopsecret.com... this will never happen. It won't pass the Senate, Obama wouldn't sign it if it did, and I'd bet not one person participating in the D.C. comics, I mean political game, thinks it will be signed into law.

I can agree that this would never pass the Senate. But there was a time I thought a lot of things about our government.

I will say if nothing else I see it as very symbolic of there utter disregard to the general population. Speaks volumes...

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Rosinitiate

There was a time when something like this wouldn't have made it even this far. But there are a lot of things getting further then they should now in the US. The fact that it made it this far just shows they're getting better at passing things like this not worse which is what worries me the most.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

But isn't that how a lot of the other problems we are facing, right now, got started?

We believed; No one will vote away our rights and freedoms, they are the foundation of our country!

Yet we are facing the lost of the most basic laws of our constitution.

If they aren't saying anything else,they are speaking of their intent, and I think they are greedy enough and underhanded enough to sell us right down the river.

I have no trust in any of them, and it is going to take a long time to repair the damage they have done.

The first step is to remove them from their seat of power. It may take a while to get the right people in place but we have to stop the bleeding before we can do the surgery.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

And just another reason to push for less Govt.

We surprisingly agree on something, that this crap needs to end.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Unfortunately it re-authorizes the Fed to bailout banks that gamble on swaps and derivatives...

H.R. 992 still prohibits taxpayer money from bailing out swap entities.

Summary

H.R. 992 REPEALS most of Section 716 of the Dodd Frank Act, allowing covered depository institutions to trade swaps. The legislation RETAINS subsection (i), of Section 716, which prohibits the use of taxpayer funds to bail out swaps entities.

www.govtrack.us.../houserepublicans

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join