It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

City of Detroit to use censors for pinpointing gunshots

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
The city of Detroit is planning on installing censors around the city to triangulate where gunshots come from so they can respond quicker. This is a similar technology that the military uses. I don't know how their gonna utilize this when the police can't even respond to basic break in calls. Many of the areas in Detroit don't even have street lights.

I live 2 blocks north of the city limit and I smoke outside and I hear gunshots every night. It sounds like a war zone in the summer. Half of the inner city is illiterate yet they own plenty of weapons. It's a scary thought knowing that many dumb asses have weapons right down the road.

www.detroitnews.com...|newswell|text|FRONTPA GE|p

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by wantsome

Sounds like it can't hurt, as long as the police our dedicated to respond at a moments notice. Street gangs and criminals usually don't hang around long after firing their weapons. So if the police are not going to react, it will be a waste of taxpayers money.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by wantsome

They have been doing that in certain areas of SoCal for several years now. I think I prefer it to cameras on every corner.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
The city of Seattle already has that system, or well into installing it.

I think I'll invest in shares of companies that manufacture silencers. LOL.

Silencers are legal in Washington St. if you request a permit for them. Takes months to get it, from my understanding.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I know the military tried these systems and just about gave up on them in urban areas. They do not work too well with tall buildings around to reflect sound all over the place.

Would make a great excuse to raid a house or business though. You can make the system say anything you want with some judicious programming. Beats having to get a warrant.

P

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
This technology has been used for a few years in high gunshot areas. A system of sensors was installed in East Orange, New Jersey in 2009, and a system has also been used in Birmingham UK since 2010. Both areas claim the system has helped solve gun crimes after installation, but also reduced gunshot incidents where the systems were installed by moe than 50%.

I don't see any harm in cops knowing a gunshot has been fired in the city. If you're shooting guns in urban areas, you should expect cops...unless its Detroit, Chicago, Newark, and too many others.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   

wantsome
The city of Detroit is planning on installing censors around the city to triangulate where gunshots come from so they can respond quicker.

It would work even better if they used sensors.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   

JohnnyCanuck

wantsome
The city of Detroit is planning on installing censors around the city to triangulate where gunshots come from so they can respond quicker.

It would work even better if they used sensors.

Censers don't work either. But they smell nice. They might actually help, you know, get rid of some of the stink, add a little class.

top topics

join