It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religious Restrictions and Masonry

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Is anyone aware of any specific religious restrictions about becoming a mason? I am wondering if any churches have forbidden it or if the mason will not allow members of certain faiths to be members.
I understand that The Masons are not a religious organization, only requring a belife in a higher power, but in reviewing this fourm it seems that there is some sort of long standing feud between the masons and some religious orginizations.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Freemasonry requires a belief in a supreme being and there is no religious bigotry, Christians meet alongside Jews and Muslims and Hindus every day.

There are several Churches that have problems with Freemasonry for many and varied reasons, some of them to do with anti-competitive practices, some historical, LOL.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 04:41 PM
link   
do you know what churches those are, I can look up the information as to why, I guess I'm just interested in finding a starting point.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   
(Examples only):

Freemasonry is banned in some Islamic states.

Freemasonry has been written about by the Catholic Church from time to time in terms of excommunication of members.

In some parts of the world even the Anglican Church engages in local battles with the Craft.

It's fun to see anti-Masonic propaganda comic strips tucked under your windscreen by fundamentalist Christian people during Masonic public opening days.

[edit on 18-11-2004 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 05:38 PM
link   
The Roman Catholic Church has a Papal Bull against membership of Freemasonry.

however there are many Bishops that view the membership of Freemasonry as a Chritable act , or at least in part. so there is a difference of opinion on the subject.

There are many Masons who are catholics, but technically they could be excomunicated or at least refused the service of a Priest.

I have never heard of anyone being excomunicated, but there are problems.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   
The Roman Catholic Church has a Papal Bull against membership of Freemasonry.

however there are many Bishops that view the membership of Freemasonry as a Chritable act , or at least in part. so there is a difference of opinion on the subject.

There are many Masons who are catholics, but technically they could be excomunicated or at least refused the service of a Priest.

I have never heard of anyone being excomunicated, but there are problems.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   
SUBMIT PROBLEMS POST DUPLICATED

[edit on 18-11-2004 by billmcelligott]

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Some churches who have problems with Freemasonry include: The Catholic Church (as mentioned), The Orthodox Church (similar reasons), certain Lutheran Synods, certain Baptist sects. Not all Lutherhan and Baptist Churches are Anti-Mason.

Most of the objections are due to the Church leaders believing the negative propaganda of anti-masons.

Many Protestant Churches, including my own, have no restrictions on membership in the Masonic Fraternity.

Freemasonry has no religious restrictions other than that the man believe in a Supreme Being. Members of Christian, Jewish, Mulsim, and Hindu faiths are permitted in most jurisdictions.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 10:26 PM
link   
The reason conservative Christians oppose Masonry has nothing to do with anti-Masonic propaganda. It has everything to do with Masonry's own writings, rituals, and teachings. Masonry teaches that there is salvation apart from faith in Jesus Christ as Savior. This is contrary to the historic and biblical teachings of Christianity. It's that simple.

The Masonic plan of salvation is symbolized by the Masonic white apron: �The lamb has in all ages been deemed an emblem of innocence. He, therefore, who wears the lambskin, or white leather apron, as the badge of a Mason, is thereby continually reminded of that purity of life and conduct which is so essentially necessary to his gaining admission into the Celestial Lodge where the Supreme Architect of the Universe presides�

Masonry teaches salvation by works. Christianity teaches salvation through faith in the forgiveness of sins earned by Jesus Christ on the cross of Calvary.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lutheran

purity of life and conduct

faith in the forgiveness of sins

How exactly are these mutually exclusive or incompatible?

Actually the constant forgiving of sin, and faith in that, doesn't seem to do that much for the development of human beings really... does it?

I am interested in which is the truer path. One is highly corruptible, the other is not.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 10:54 PM
link   

The reason conservative Christians oppose Masonry has nothing to do with anti-Masonic propaganda. It has everything to do with Masonry's own writings, rituals, and teachings. Masonry teaches that there is salvation apart from faith in Jesus Christ as Savior. This is contrary to the historic and biblical teachings of Christianity. It's that simple.

WRONG!!! There is NO MASONIC PLAN OF SALVATION. Period. That is a LIE,... yes LIE,... that religious fundamentalists tell about the Fraternity. I consider myself Christian. I teach Sunday School. There is nothing in the Fraternity that is contrary to my faith.

The Masonic plan of salvation is symbolized by the Masonic white apron: �The lamb has in all ages been deemed an emblem of innocence. He, therefore, who wears the lambskin, or white leather apron, as the badge of a Mason, is thereby continually reminded of that purity of life and conduct which is so essentially necessary to his gaining admission into the Celestial Lodge where the Supreme Architect of the Universe presides�

Masonry teaches salvation by works. Christianity teaches salvation through faith in the forgiveness of sins earned by Jesus Christ on the cross of Calvary.

MASONRY DOES NOT TEACH SALVATION. Masonry does not tell members HOW to believe in God. All Freemasons worship God according to their own consciences... may that be according to the adherence of a particular faith, or their own individual beliefs. It is LEFT UP TO THE BROTHER...

You can twist words any way you want. It doesn't change what is...

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 10:59 PM
link   

How exactly are these mutually exclusive or incompatible?

Contrary to Masonry, Christianity teaches that man is by nature sinful and cannot by his own will or effort achieve perfection in this earthly life. "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23).

The result of sin is death, both physical and eternal. "For the wages of sin is death" (Romans 6:23a).

God freed us from the curse of sin and death through Jesus Christ and his sacrificial death on our behalf. Jesus took upon himself the punishment for sin which we deserved. "The gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Romans 6:23b).

Good works (only) and faith in Jesus Christ are incompatible because good works alone cannot achieve forgiveness of sins and eternal life. The Christian does good works not to be saved, but out of gratitude for the gift of salvation which was given to him through Jesus Christ. "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--not by works, so that no one can boast" Ephesians 2:8-9.

For details regarding Christianity and Masonry see: www.lilnet.org...

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I guess this is a good place to ask. What is freemasonry and how do you go about joining if you are interested

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 12:04 AM
link   

historic and biblical teachings of Christianity.

there is little that is truely historic about christian teachings.

2B1ask1. contact your local Lodge or the Masonic web site. i think it is
masonicinfo.com

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Contrary to Masonry, Christianity teaches that man is by nature sinful and cannot by his own will or effort achieve perfection in this earthly life. "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23).

Freemasonry teaches nothing about salvation. A man and his path to salvation is up to him and God.

The result of sin is death, both physical and eternal. "For the wages of sin is death" (Romans 6:23a).

God freed us from the curse of sin and death through Jesus Christ and his sacrificial death on our behalf. Jesus took upon himself the punishment for sin which we deserved. "The gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Romans 6:23b).

You've said nothing that is contrary to Freemasonry... except as you have judged us...

Good works (only) and faith in Jesus Christ are incompatible because good works alone cannot achieve forgiveness of sins and eternal life. The Christian does good works not to be saved, but out of gratitude for the gift of salvation which was given to him through Jesus Christ. "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--not by works, so that no one can boast" Ephesians 2:8-9.

For details regarding Christianity and Masonry see: www.lilnet.org...

As far as the Lutheran Church,... Doesn't IT VIOLATE the scripture?!?!? It ordains women as preachers in direct opposition of Scripture: "Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law." (1 Corinthians 14:34)

As it VIOLATES the SCRIPTURE, doesn't it also COME FROM THE DEVIL?!?!?!? So the Lutheran Church would come from the Devil?!?!? Right??? So,...

You see anyone can quote scripture to any end... and turn it against someone. But that's not it's purpose... One last thing... "Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things." (Romans 2:1)

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ricoble
I guess this is a good place to ask. What is freemasonry and how do you go about joining if you are interested

Freemasonry is a Fraternity of men dedicated to making Good Men Better, and composed of men who try to be strong members of their community and profess a belief in a Supreme Being.

To Join??? You ask a Freemason... He's get you a petition and some Literature on the Fraternity.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 08:55 AM
link   

As far as the Lutheran Church,... Doesn't IT VIOLATE the scripture?!?!? It ordains women as preachers in direct opposition of Scripture: "Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law." (1 Corinthians 14:34)

The liberal Lutheran churches (such as the ELCA) ordain women and allow Masonic membership. The conservative Lutheran churches (LCMS, WELS, ELS, etc.) do NOT ordain women and do NOT allow Masonic membership. Granted, there are some individual congregations in the LCMS, WELS, and ELS which don't enforce the prohibition against Lodge membership, but the prohibition is still the official policy of those synods.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 09:23 AM
link   

The liberal Lutheran churches (such as the ELCA) ordain women and allow Masonic membership. The conservative Lutheran churches (LCMS, WELS, ELS, etc.) do NOT ordain women and do NOT allow Masonic membership. Granted, there are some individual congregations in the LCMS, WELS, and ELS which don't enforce the prohibition against Lodge membership, but the prohibition is still the official policy of those synods.

Bur even in the CONSERVATIVE churches, you do allow women to SPEAK,... correct?!?!? They ARE allowed to be board members, etc., are they not??? See,... direct conterevention of Scripture,... Or is PAUL just an old Hebrew kook who no-one listens to unless they like waht he said???

My point is that Scripture can be turned to support any view. As a Christian AND a Freemason AND a martial arts instructor AND lawyer AND Financial Advisor AND computer enthusiast AND a politcally active person, no aspect of my life contradicts another. I have listened to this stuff before, even from good friends, and dismiss it as garbage.

MY particular faith (Church of the Unitas Fratrum: the Moravians) adhere to a basic principle, that is that in the essentials of faith, we have Unity, in the non-essentials of faith, we have Liberty, but in all things, we have Love...

By being divisive, and using Scripture as I have pointed out as an example, you can "Rules Lawyer" just about anything you want to accomplish,... But by doing so, you act like the Pharasees that Jesus so often condemned,...

Just for clarification, the Masonic Fraternity does not preach salavation by ANY plan. It is a mens organization geared to making men better in the secular world. We encourage good works since ALL of our various individual religions promote that... It is NOT however a means to get into Heaven (we have no plan for that). Just as Paul encouraged that Christians not shun the world, but not partake of the decadence of the populations in which they found themselves, we can sit in Lodge with Brotherly Love for people who are not of our particular faith. We discourage public and private actions that are not morally sound according to ANY religion or moral philosophy (hence the accusations of illegal or immoral conduct are hogwash). The source of each Brother's Brotherly Love is up to his own conscience. As for me, the source of mine is my Faith in and the teachings of Jesus,... to a Jewish brother, his source may be different,...

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by JaseP
By being divisive, and using Scripture as I have pointed out as an example, you can "Rules Lawyer" just about anything you want to accomplish,... But by doing so, you act like the Pharasees that Jesus so often condemned,...

I am always amused at the eagerness some religious institutions seek out Freemasonry, blindly compelled to expose the Craft as some kind of "cult", detrimental to their �claim� to God. Freemasonry does not seek to modify or replace any religion, nor does it comment on the validity of the same. The Landmarks (the basic rules of Freemasonry) do require a belief in a Supreme Being (God, if you will), but they also mandate temperance and tolerance (you have to respect other's beliefs, it is forbidden to even discuss religion or politics in Lodge). Since no other institution requires this level of coexistence, I would proffer the notion that Freemasonry transcends the conventions of most religions (though I would never expect anyone to join Freemasonry for this reason). Harmony of the Craft best exemplifies this belief, and is a testament to the Tenants of Freemasonry. Why pursue that which deigns to even acknowledge (in an official capacity) your religious beliefs, it�s as though there is some one sided competition, a game that only one side is keeping score (we don�t care, really). The responses you see are driven by the need to rebut inaccuracies, innuendo, and of course, outright lies� It�s unfortunate that it degenerates to that, but as each persons honor (and the things they hold dear) need to be defended, so shall Freemasonry.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Contrary to your claims, Freemasonry does not teach that a man will ever reach perfection, only that a man strive to be better. Nobody�s perfect.

I don�t know the chapter and verse, but if I am not mistaken, Jesus said, �There is no way to my Father but through Me�

Now, if I am taking in your argument correctly, you are saying that anyone who is not a fundamentalist Christian, born again through Jesus Christ, they are condemned to hell? Come on, guy. So Jews, Muslims, Hindus, etc. are all going to hell because they do not know Jesus Christ as their personal savior?

Nevermind that they are good men, morally upright and following the laws of God as far as how one should conduct himself in the world, devout to their respective faiths and lead good lives and set good examples for the rest of us� Hellbound! Too bad, should�ve talked to Jesus? Negative. I as a Christian refuse to believe such nonsense. God created all things, and not one is without purpose. I think that Jesus will be the Judge in the end, hence the phrase �But through Me�. I don�t think that religious affiliation will have anything to do with judgement when the day comes. Religions are just different ways of teaching the same lessons. The Kingdom of God is within us, and the kind of man you are, not which church you go to, will be the deciding factor.

Do you think that a murdering child molester would be allowed into Heaven if he said a couple of Hail Mary�s and asked forgiveness at the last second before they throw the switch? I don�t know, but I hope not. If that were true, what would be the point? Jesus could have just said "Don't worry about it until the last minute, I got your back."

Jesus taught (by example) how men should live their lives and be good men before the Lord. It�s about how you live your life, period. I thank The Lord that he did provide His Son, as a great exemplar of how we should strive to be. He is my Hero, but I am a firm believer in �To each his own.� A good man is a good man, period. In the eyes of man, and I believe also in the eyes of The Lord.

Hence the requirement of a candidate to have a faith in God (HOWEVER YOU KNOW HIM) and the belief in the eternity of the soul. The fraternity promotes no one religion, but it is a brotherhood of religious, FAITHFUL men who do good works.

Why is tolerance such a hard concept for fundamentalists? Do you honestly believe that yours is the ONLY way? If so, I say that is a pretty narrowminded position, and I would strongly urge you to come out from under your rock and have a look at the real world.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join