It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colorado's Masterpiece Cakeshop Must Serve Gay Couples Despite Owner's Religious Beliefs, Judge Ru

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Im a very spiritual person and believe with all my heart in Jesus Christ as my savior. I would've baked the cake and told them God bless you. Why? Because if that was Jesus running that cake shop that's exactly what he would've done. End of story for me. I dont care if your gay, straight, retarded, liar, cheat whatever the case may be, I will still treat you with respect and love you the same as my father has told me too.

God bless everyone (yes including the gays) and have a good day

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   

ForestBehindTheTrees
Im a very spiritual person and believe with all my heart in Jesus Christ as my savior. I would've baked the cake and told them God bless you. Why? Because if that was Jesus running that cake shop that's exactly what he would've done. End of story for me. I dont care if your gay, straight, retarded, liar, cheat whatever the case may be, I will still treat you with respect and love you the same as my father has told me too.

You, my friend, are a TRUE Christian, and you totally get it. (I would use a thumbs up emoticon if they had one

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
This is an interesting predicament. However, after reading much of this thread, I began to wonder if the shop owners had alternative methods to achieve their end result? Now, playing devils advocate for a moment. Such as:

- The business does not refuse to make the cake, takes the order, but all of the bakers refuse to make it due to THEIR personal religious beliefs. In this case, the business itself is not refusing, the individuals are exercising their 1st Amendment right to refuse based upon religious beliefs. The shop owner cannot fire them for making this decision, as that might be discrimination. So, the order is accepted, the cake is not delivered, the owner can offer a full refund and a monetary gift certificate as a good faith gesture for some pastries, or the customer could sue them for the cost of the cake in small claims court.

- The business accepts the order, but delivers it with only a single man in the top of the cake (or some other defect). This could be considered a shoddy job (like a contractor that screws up your bathroom makeover). So, the order is accepted, the cake is not delivered to the satisfaction of the customer, the owner can offer a full refund and a monetary gift certificate as a good faith gesture for some pastries, or the customer could sue them for the cost of the cake in small claims court.

IANAL, but wonder if these options would be considered legal and non-discriminatory, provided the business owner never mentioned the reluctance to make the cake initially.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Well, If I were the owner, I would decorate my store in a way that would offend them(full camo). I would start selling things that would offend them(assault rifle and religious cakes). They seem not to like the bible and stuff so go full on religious. Just anything that would make them not wanna do business there that is within reason and the laws. You gotta outsmart the rats if you wanna survive. Maybe rent out a room in the store to a local militia.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   

ForestBehindTheTrees
Im a very spiritual person and believe with all my heart in Jesus Christ as my savior. I would have baked the cake and told them God bless you. Why? Because if that was Jesus running that cake shop that's exactly what he would've done. End of story for me. I dont care if your gay, straight, retarded, liar, cheat whatever the case may be, I will still treat you with respect and love you the same as my father has told me too.

Sadly not enough Christians (the clue's in the name Christ-ians) actually follow the teachings and words of Jesus Christ. He was tolerant, accepting and non-judgemental.
It's a shame his modern day "followers" (used very loosely) don't actually follow and love Jesus Christ.

They're going to be in for a huge shock in the next 'life/stage'

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   

beezzer

Um, so basically, "paybacks a bitch", right? Blacks were marginalized, gays were marginalized, so now it's time to put the screws on those who have religious beliefs.

Let them suffer. Lets take away their rights and their freedoms! Stick it to the man!

Screw 'em! They are just screwed up people who believe in something stupid, so we can trash their stupid beliefs, right?

PFFT, darned religious freaks!

If you had read what was written, you'd have noted the sarcasm of my response and have seen the other paragraph of my post beneath it that gives my statement context. Ah context. Useful thing. You'd also have seen that I was questioning the reply to the information presented not confirming the premise of their words. As I do not hold the belief they have been marginalized, the premise of that part of my post is speculative and your response here moot as are your conclusions about what I think and believe.

That said, I can say with some experiential reliability that yes, even Gods special people have to deal with complex messy life situations too and all I can say with any compassion is "welcome to the real world", one that others have been enduring for some time and that you are not immune to.
Me being me, I think I would ask these people, "which part of reap what you sow' was difficult for you? because I know that if you act like a bigot in public, you get treated like one, in public. It's a no brainer. Simple cause/effect. Be a bigot all you like at home in private but when you enter the public arena there are rules both legal and implied and when you break them, there are real time consequences. Accepting this, or sucking it up and forming a group to oppose the laws in place that compel you to do so, is called being a grown up.

Ro

edit on 7-12-2013 by Rosha because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

ketsuko

HUMBLEONE

ketsuko
reply to post by HUMBLEONE

Why would the homosexuals be so mean and hurtful as to demand that the Christians participate in a ceremony that does against their beliefs and violates their conscience?
No one batted an eye when the gay bar owners stopped hosting bachelorette parties because they felt it was hurtful to them.

They just want some cake dude. Are these "Christian" bachelorette parties? Bottom line, in the words of the late, great Rodney King, "can't we just all get along"?

No, they don't just want some cake. They want a wedding cake.

The bachelorettes were reminding the gays that they couldn't have what the bachelorettes were going to have - a wedding.

Both instances were centered on marriage in different ways.

Maybe we could get along better if we all just understood that some people have very different ideas of what a marriage is and agreed to let each other alone about it.
Thank you for the explanation. Now I see, it's the gay bar owners fault for letting straight chicks into the bar in the first place!
edit on 7-12-2013 by HUMBLEONE because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   

HUMBLEONE

ketsuko

HUMBLEONE

ketsuko
reply to post by HUMBLEONE

Why would the homosexuals be so mean and hurtful as to demand that the Christians participate in a ceremony that does against their beliefs and violates their conscience?
No one batted an eye when the gay bar owners stopped hosting bachelorette parties because they felt it was hurtful to them.

They just want some cake dude. Are these "Christian" bachelorette parties? Bottom line, in the words of the late, great Rodney King, "can't we just all get along"?

No, they don't just want some cake. They want a wedding cake.

The bachelorettes were reminding the gays that they couldn't have what the bachelorettes were going to have - a wedding.

Both instances were centered on marriage in different ways.

Maybe we could get along better if we all just understood that some people have very different ideas of what a marriage is and agreed to let each other alone about it.
Thank you for the explanation. Now I see, it's the gay bar owners fault for letting straight chicks into the bar in the first place!
edit on 7-12-2013 by HUMBLEONE because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
i]reply to post by HUMBLEONE

This is all so absurd that my only response can be satire. Religion has been and continues to be a the source of much hatred, bigotry, pain and shed blood throughout human history. Think about it for a moment?

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
stuff like this only creates more hatred against gay people, they don't seem to realize how dangerous it is to make people paranoid of them, such actions creates a thought process of "if i say/do or look at them wrong then i'll lose my business/freedom or relationships/place within society". in the end all progress will become lost when everyone hates and/or fears you and can't trust your intentions anymore. how do you think anyone can change anything for the better if they can't even understand an opposing position and act rationally.

how do you think dr. king changed things so much even while enduring much unfair treatment and abuse from white people? not by insults or conflict or any push against the rights of others to gain more rights for his own people.

what we have here is the question of what is more important, an individuals personal rights or an individuals religious rights? such an argument is wrong and will only cause us to lose both one day, we will gain equality at the cost of all freedom.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   

jimmyx

suz62
This is wrong. A business owner has the right to refuse service and always has had that right. This is liberal politics. The judge should be kicked off the bench.

you do realize that you are talking about a gay person buying a wedding cake, right?...what would be your excuse for NOT selling a wedding cake to a gay person?...cooties?...and what is amazing is that it's because the owner believes in the writings of an unknown author in a 2000 year old book about what a mythical being said....
edit on 7-12-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

Read what you wrote. You discriminate against those who believe in God. Hypocrite.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   

ForestBehindTheTrees

Ok seriously I was sitting here trying NOT to post because I was sure I'd get banned if I did. I HATE religion for a lot of reasons, but you Sir/Mam are a true gem. If ALL religious folks acted like you this world would be a much better place. So thank you for slamming the brakes on my mouth and keeping me from getting banned and making me smile and feel like humanity just "might" have a few individuals worth saving, just by saying a truly kind and SMART and compassionate thing
You made my night better.

As for the bakery if I lived close by I'd exercise MY freedom of speech and stand outside with a sign saying the store is run by intolerant bigots. The entire problem with the world today is everyone has to s**t on everyone's life and impose themselves and their beliefs where they aren't wanted (religious, political, whatever). I don't think people will EVER finally wake up and realize we are all HUMAN and start treating each other with respect and kindness. Errg I'm gonna end there or I'll undo what ForestBehindTheTrees accomplished with their post heh

Lil

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Not everyone cares to jump on the gay bandwagon because it is fashionable. People are allowed to say they dislike a lifestyle. It doesn't make them bad or bigoted. It makes them different.
edit on 12/7/2013 by suz62 because: grammar

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   

suz62
Not everyone cares to jump on the gay bandwagon because it is fashionable. People are allowed to say they dislike a lifestyle. It doesn't make them bad or bigoted. It makes them different.

...and if they are American, it's their 1st Amendment right (unless it advocates violence, then it is a crime).

Frankly, I don't give a rats backside one way or the other what sexual orientation a person decides to pursue. As long as it doesn't infringe on another's rights. Live and let live I say.....life is too short to be a societal judge. The only person you can honestly judge, is yourself.

edit on 12/7/2013 by Krakatoa because: Fixed spelling and other fat-finger errors

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Willtell

Wow being gay you get lots of rights very cool.Next time i go to the gym i think ill tell them im gay and really not comfortable with men staring at me and tell them i need to use the womens locker room instead. Since they cant deny my rights being gay should be fun. Only problem ill have is maintaining my composure but i guess i can take a cold shower im in the locker room.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   

suz62

Sure you can say you dislike a lifestyle. What you shouldn't be allowed to do, is be disrespectful, unkind, hateful, or refuse to provide the exact same product or service to one set of people that you provide to everyone else.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   

crazyewok
Gays forceing people to do there bidding through the courts is not going to indear anyone to there cause.
edit on 7-12-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

It no longer matters. It has reached the point where if you speak out against them you are labeled a homophobe. Most people would be far too afraid to speak out if they decided they wanted to.

What if I think I am in love with cars and want to marry my vehicle. Should people be forced to accept that and bake me a cake with man and machine entwined as one?

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Rosha

DarthMuerte
This is completely wrong and a violation of the first amendment. Not to mention the fact that any business owner should be able to choose who he will and will not do business with for any or no reason. Classic liberal judicial over reach. Personally, I would close my doors and go out of business before complying with this command from a corrupt regime.

I am sure I heard this spoken about schools being "forced" to take black students not that long ago.
Time offers perspectives.

Ro.

Last I checked race is 100% genetic.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Rosha

beezzer
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I could also bring an elk that I shot to a vegan caterer and have them dress it up since this ruling sanctions that kind of behavior.

No, and simply because a vegan caterer would not be offering butchering services to the general public. This shop is offering service to the GP. It doesn't have any legal or serviceable justification for not serving gay people other than personal religious bias, and there is no law that permits a sign saying "only Christians that dont believe in equal rights for all humans can come here" on the door. It may be a private business, but it is offering a specific cake making service to the general public or it isn't.

Ro

edit on 7-12-2013 by Rosha because: (no reason given)

It would force vegan bakers to bake with animal products.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

You could marry your car as long as you have liability insurance!

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join