It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Someone’s Been Siphoning Data Through a Huge Security Hole in the Internet

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I do no banking on the internet at all. Any purchasing is done with a low value credit card. Paypal is out now they want to do business from your bank account.
The OP is wise in understanding that the internet cannot be considered confidential in any way. On a bigger scale, the likes of NSA/NCTC cannot be separated from any other crooked enterprise which is also a virtual monopoly.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Like you I dabbled a bit in COBOL back in the early 90's. However I dropped out after a year because there were 2 girls in my class who were struggling in class and they preferred to go the beach instead. Well I had a car.

Bottom line. I also know that anything can be done with programming.

Anyway, I've got a mate in Melbourne who had to write a character reference for me for a court date I had coming up. He sent it to my email address but I never received it.

I rang him again to see if he sent it and he said yes. I asked what the email address was and he read my email address out to me letter for letter.

So I got him to send it again but this time carbon copy it to my mothers email address.

I was at my mums house and 2 minutes later my mum tells me she has received one of my emails.

I looked at her iPad and sure enough it was an email from my friend in Melbourne and in her list of recipients was my email address.

I quickly checked my inbox but nothing.

I printed off the character reference from my mothers iPad, and 3 days later I finally received the email in my inbox.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
and why did my post to Crypto zoo. get re direct too "General Chit Chat" forum?
when i hit "post"???

trust me,,, its the same thing,, re route the packet trains, too the correct computer/station/screen,, and,,,redirect too the great vast void of unlimited z-pools.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Trubeeleever

...I printed off the character reference from my mothers iPad, and 3 days later I finally received the email in my inbox.

Hmmmm, that does seem a little extreme and suspicious. 3 hrs ok, but 3 days? Maybe this happens sometimes but why?

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

Classic man in the middle attack. The only way around it would be to have known routes and not to accept packets from unknown origin/ routes.

Any data that's sent over the internet can be intercepted and relayed to its intended origin.

Quite a contradictory sentence, it seems you can't make up your mind about what man in the middle is

Vpn is the only way to secure your traffic, and then your sill at the mercy of the endpoints security.

No, you can just take down that box where the vpn server is running, you just moved the target, it would be dumb to do, but you can bring up another server with the same certificates if you just take down the one on the original end point, same man in the middle attack, but on a different level, but it would be easier to just hack the server side, as you said, the endpoint may be compromised and then you can't trust anything at all. But this is kind of useless, unless you're going for very specific data going through that server, for the purpose of the OP info, something bigger needs to be compromised.
edit on 7-12-2013 by Kaifan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by pandersway

I can only imagine why. But as a not-so-coincidental twist of fate, letters from my solicitor were taking 7 days to reach my mothers house from Sydney. My mother lives an hour out of Sydney, and regular mail usually takes 24 hours or 2 days at the most.

I later discovered that all snail-mail in Australia is also scanned, recorded and sometimes intercepted and contents read for reasons ? ? ? ? Well who knows, I'm not a terrorist, nor am I a political activist. I post many anti-government sentiments here on ATS, but that is the most extreme I get.

Every email I write now, I automatically assume it is being read by some government scumbag, and if it is of legal value to myself, then it is delayed.

To put it simply, the people who have made this possible are the people who have sold out their own country-men. These are the people who are ANTI-PATRIOTS and are guilty of TREASON.

Intercepting peoples emails is to deny the freedom of speech. Because nobody can speak freely without fear of prosecution even if what you say is in jest and in a private person-to-person email.

Whenever a person feels that what ever they say in so-called privacy to another individual can be monitored by secretive 3rd party, be judged and ultimately be liable to prosecution, then there is no freedom of speech.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   

GArnold
reply to post by pandersway

I saw this on Digg the other day. Without any knowledge.. I am thinking it was China, Russia or Isreal. Clearly America just steals data without the complex run a round. If I had to bet money.. I bet it was Russia. Followed by China. I don't believe it was someone. It was somebody. It was a state security apparatus.
edit on 7-12-2013 by GArnold because: (no reason given)

Exactly.

Everybody is complaining about the NSA because of the whistleblower Snowden. Is the NSA the only one who can do this stuff? Hardly.

There are NO whistleblowers in Russia or China. An afternoon polonium tea awaits them, and they know it.

Russia and China's electronic clandestine intelligence is at least as good in creativity and aggression as the USA's, but don't have quite the economic scale and investment. (China will in a decade though Russia's hackers are probably still the best one on one).

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
It was just my brother doing his job.
It is all on a database, that nobody really looked at until recently.
Kind of like a "Focus Group".

Mostly statistical analysis.
There are a few "inquiries" . 8quieryS

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain,,,The Great and Powerful Oz Has Spoken.

Thumbs up , S&F

top topics

<< 1   >>

join