It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deadliest weapons ever invented- Metal Storm

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Did a search ,came up empty.
These guns were made in 2009...so how come our troops don't have them...they could save a lot of lives.
But wait until you see the fire power behind this weapon dubbed Metal Storm. The Discovery Channel put together a great piece showing just how this amazing weapons operates.
With the ability to fire 16,000 rounds of ammunition each second, the Metal Storm Stacked Projectile is one of the most fearsome military weapons in development.
Metal Storm has created a 36-barreled stacked projectile machine gun, boasting the highest rate of fire in the world. The prototype weapon demonstrated a firing rate of slightly over one million rounds per minute for a 180-round burst.

www.youtube.com...

www.nairaland.com...

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Jump on to Google. Type, Metal Storm ATS.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by nighthawk1954

It almost seems a bit pointless. 1 million rounds a second is going to use a up a lot of ammo. More ammo that a vehicle could carry. Ok so you dont have to do a full second burst but even at lower numbers is there any real advantage of getting off so many rounds at a short space of time. Say you fire 200 rounds and miss, then you have to reload , re-aim and fire another 200 rounds.

edit on 6-12-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

It's an amazing weapon,for sure. But I'm not sure about saving lives. 16,000 rounds per second = 15,999 irresponsible rounds per second

Just my 2 cents

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   

It's a dumb gun. Waste of bullets bought with my taxes.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Another good reason to secede from the United Empire of Murderous Capitalists!

So. How much thought went into this, how much 'research' money, and just how did the phrase 'to provide for the common defense' come to mean THIS, rather than, y'know, food, shelter and education for everyone?

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
A weapon that fires a million rounds per second would be awesome to have against a horde of zombies. Come on, can't say you wouldn't want a gun like that to kill a bunch of Walkers. I must admit, it's far from being the deadliest weapon. The most deadliest unclassified weapon would have to be the TSR Bomb.
edit on 6-12-2013 by TheProphetMark because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Oh good lord... You bring a new twist to this. (It has been covered before..but it's been awhile)

I've seen some versions of this before and it's a 'Game Over' weapon. As in...when you've gotten past all the layers of buck rogers defenses at Area 51 or Fort Knox or CIA at Langley....it's rumored...these little nasties pop up to erase you as if you never existed but for a cloud.

I'd never seen them in the mortar configuration. That's why I'm a little stunned... I never thought.. Oh... My.. Talk about Hogan's Alley like a video game.

You could literally line both sides of a (wide) valley and zero a highway, totally erasing whatever was on that highway from remote and by automated pods (See the youtube)..for miles in both directions. thousands of grenades in seconds, making even Puff the Magic Dragon pause to admire the show below.... (gasp)

I'm not sure I like these for how they're being developed into actual systems.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I thought it was designed for missile defense on warships?

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I look at it this way... I have many friends kids and I call them kids 18 19 20 21 serving in Afghanistan and it is becoming clear they don't want us there as the the letters they receive from their kids....This weapon can be programed... yes maybe a lot of money... but if could save one life it is worth it!

Big news this week about a movie star killed in a firey crash... fine he did a lot of good things for people.
BUT!
Now where on major news channels about the death of 31 soldiers in the past week.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 02:55 AM
link   

First of all, Metal Storm is a weapons SYSTEM, not a weapon in and of itself. It refers to the method of placing the rounds in the barrel, and launching them via electrical signalling, rather than mechanical action. The system has benefits over traditional weapons systems, in that there is one moving part rather than several, meaning less wear and tear damage on the weapon, less replacement of parts.

Also, this million rounds a minute reference... The fire rate is not fixed, and attached to modern computer guidance software, this weapon could be pre-set to fire at an ideal rate for a given target. For instance, a group of enemy gunners in a sand bag machine gun nest are not going to require the same level of penetration as an armoured vehicle, or a fortified facility. Since one of the big selling points of this system, is that multiple rounds impacting on a small area over a short space of time creates a spear of lead, which has a higher penetrative power than one single round over the same space, it makes sense that conserving rounds would be beneficial.

With the Metal Storm system, accuracy is much better also. There are some projectile weapons with high rates of fire, where the first shot is the most accurate, and everything that happens afterward is basically a result of how well the user can ride recoil. That is a crap way to organise the launching of a projectile toward a target. In the case of the Metal Storm adapted pistol for instance, three shots can be fired, before the recoil from the first round starts to make things difficult, which means that those three rounds smash the target, all at once, and with the most devastating force.

Sure, the box gun adaptation is a little ridiculous, and only has some fairly limited applications in terms of its use being in any way justified by circumstance. But the system itself is sound, and would improve accuracy and efficiency, due to the electronic firing mechanism, the lack of moving parts (all that moves is the round after all), and the ability to be connected directly to fire control systems. If you look into it, it actually makes an awful lot more sense than some here are trying to make out.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 03:23 AM
link   

nighthawk1954
Did a search ,came up empty.
These guns were made in 2009...so how come our troops don't have them...they could save a lot of lives.

What makes you think that? Just how could they save lives?

boasting the highest rate of fire in the world.

Is that like a e-penis thing, having the fastest firing gun? Of course that means you need the most ammunition of any weapon someone has to carry around.

What ever happened to aimed single shots?

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 03:43 AM
link   
they had one of these things on CSI;Miami.

pretty cool. people were just a pink cloud.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Flatcoat
I thought it was designed for missile defense on warships?

I can see how this weapon would be ideal for that situation. I had not thought of that.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   

PhoenixOD

It almost seems a bit pointless. 1 million rounds a second is going to use a up a lot of ammo. More ammo that a vehicle could carry. Ok so you dont have to do a full second burst but even at lower numbers is there any real advantage of getting off so many rounds at a short space of time. Say you fire 200 rounds and miss, then you have to reload , re-aim and fire another 200 rounds.

edit on 6-12-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

Edit to add: Ignore the rest of my post, i've just read that it's already been said..too late once again!

The advantage of using such a high rate of fire weapon comes into it's own when installed on larger vehicles such as shipping.

An incoming missile barrage wouldn't stand a chance of hitting a ship equipped with these weapons. What would amount to almost a solid wall of projectiles would prevent any missile from getting close, much less impacting a ship.

Not so practical on an individual infantryman or land rover setup though, although if the weapon was made smaller...much smaller but retained it's ultra high rate of fire, it might have some uses as an individual weapon, for very short burst fire.

But big platforms is what this thing was designed for, and where it will excell.

edit on 7-12-2013 by MysterX because: edit

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
They should call it "Depleted Uranium Storm". Less catchy, more truthful.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan
They should call it "Depleted Uranium Storm". Less catchy, more truthful.

Uranium is a metal. So unless every bullet it ever fired was depleted uranium it's less catchy and less truthful.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 03:41 AM
link   
The Deadliest weapon ever invented.....?

That's surely a nuclear bomb isn't it...?

Rgds

PDUK

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 06:22 AM
link   
You do realise Metal Storm was a Australian company and invention?

Sadly it appears to have become insolvent last year, as they have run out of research money.

No doubt the technology will turn up in a few years in the US and be claimed as the biggest breakthru yada yada....all thru US know how etc.......

Certainly is hard for smaller countries to compete with the almighty $.....

Small sentry gun clip from 8 years ago at an Australian Army test range.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 8-12-2013 by gort51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   

gort51
You do realise Metal Storm was a Australian company and invention?

Sadly it appears to have become insolvent last year, as they have run out of research money.

No doubt the technology will turn up in a few years in the US and be claimed as the biggest breakthru yada yada....all thru US know how etc.......

Certainly is hard for smaller countries to compete with the almighty $.....

Small sentry gun clip from 8 years ago at an Australian Army test range.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 8-12-2013 by gort51 because: (no reason given)

So we have you guys to blame for this abomination?

Meh...nationalism.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join