It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America "The Hated"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Ive come to realize that the world in majority really despises America. Its not something I have concluded recently but awhile back. From France to Arab regimes, to the Palestenians to the UN. Every other comment in the news is a anti-America remark from foriegn leaders to citizens. America has been asked throughout the years to aid in so many situations throughout the world at the expense of American taxpayer money. We fund more to Aids than any other country, we fund more to the UN than any other country, not to mention shelter their residence here in New York, we give more to the red-cross than any other nation, we fund governments almost entirely from Iraq, to Afghanistan to the people of Palestine and the Israeli's.

We have over time given more to the world than any other nation has in history. Yet we are seen as "the problem" in many circumstances. Why is that? Is it that we can only help so much, or is it that we dont help enough? Do we not have the right to protect our citizens any way we see fit, even if it happens to be a mistake in the "initial reasons"? Are we hated because of all the people we free'd throughout history, or is it because of the people we didnt free?Why is it that everyone feels the need to criticize the USA? Why is it that a country so glorious, so proud, so rich has become the centerpiece of world hatred? Is it time for the USA to have a isolationist policy similiar to post WWI? What would happen if we stopped funding world affiars and funded ourselves? What would happen if we didnt involve ourselves in foriegn relations? I have my own thoughts on these matters but I am pretty curious to everyone elses perceptions.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   
This has been covered in other threads. You might want to do a search on that.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Well I wanted to start a new one instead of doing searches endlessly and reading opinions from 60 different topics.
Not to mention if every thread in this place is re-hashed over and over again, if they werent wed have 100 posts that were 20000 pages long.

[edit on 18-11-2004 by Dreamz]

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Forgive me... I've done a boolean search and it seems the topics must indeed be far in the past. Please proceed.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Actually, I am for an isolationist agenda. Many problems within the united states could be adressed with the war money we recently had spent. My biggest concern is for the uninsured/affordable insurance and homelessness. We can topple and rebuild a sovereign nation, yet we ignore our own problems here at home.

Let the rest of the world police itself, and see what they say afterwords.

-ADHDsux4me

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I tend to agree to let the world police itself, but when it gets out of hand who is going to be there to help out again. Its a never ending cycle IMO. We do have problems in our society, no doubt about that and IMO that should be priority number 1. That unfortunately isnt reality though. It just eerks me to no end that people criticize America, yet the 1st time someone needs money or help fixing problems we are the 1st to be called. And then after we do help, we are the ones criticized for being the worlds police or funding the wrong regime.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   
We're hated because of our atrocious policies. Just look at Iraq. We are not there b/c of WMD, we are not there to liberate them; we are there to take away their oil, to fight Israel's enemy and to keep our boot on the neck of OPEC. They know this. The atrocities we commit daily there only burn them alive with righteous anger. Those people did not deserve what we are doing to them. That country is but one example of our shadow wickedness.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreamz
Ive come to realize that the world in majority really despises America.

I really think that's an inaccurate generalization. America commands a lot of genuine respect around the world. It's a part of its current policies that many people around the globe find themsleves in deep diagreement with.

Every other comment in the news is a anti-America remark from foriegn leaders to citizens.

Again, I think it's oversimplification. The new nations of the EU (east european) are extremely pro-American, and that birngs up an important point. The US wants influence in the European affairs, and there is also political competition between Germany, France and the new countries, and of course Britain. It's just complex politics. Bulgaria can say they 100% approve of the US policies because they simply are sucking up to the US. Britain insists on a special relationship with the US.

Most if not all of "Anti American" stuff you refer to is actually anti Bush anyway.

we fund governments almost entirely from Iraq, to Afghanistan to the people of Palestine and the Israeli's.

Iraq: it's a puppet govt and it receives $ from its master
Palestine: its people lives in open air detention areas and the money is probably just embezzled by some corrupt Palestinian officers
Israel: The Israeli govt is not paid by the US directly but receives military aid. That must be stopped.

I just mentioned these because I disagree with that part of your argument.

Do we not have the right to protect our citizens any way we see fit, even if it happens to be a mistake in the "initial reasons"?

"See fit" implies sovereignty or internationally recognized legitimacy over the area where you operate. If you dont' have either, then no, you don't have the right.

Are we hated because of all the people we free'd throughout history, or is it because of the people we didnt free?

I think you are fooling yourself here about that liberation process. Look at OBL, he was funded by the US under pretense of fighting for the Afghani freedom against the Soviets. The US knew full well what this person was.

The nation of Panama was created under Teddy's Roosevelt supervision, and you can also construe it as liberation from Colombia, unless you relaize that in fact the US needed the channel.

The Vietnam war was again a proxy war against the Soviets.

Wherever you look, the US looked after it's own imperial interests in all these "freedom" wars, and while I'm not saying this wrong, you should reassess your perception of the selfless US fighting wars for somebody else's benefit.

Why is it that everyone feels the need to criticize the USA?

I have a guess: because it's policies are unjust?

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   
i say let the other countries pay for aid to africa and such. its not the us's fault that africa is the way it is now, its europes.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   
But we've been hated for a long time, for various reasons. When I lived in Colombia, it was because of so many different things...we stole Panama, we force our views and ideas , hell sometimes, it was just because we we're "gringos. Which some peple say comes from Mexico ...

"It seems that many amateur etymologists believe the term comes from a song sung by American frontiersmen ("Green Grow the Rushes" or possibly "Green Grow the Lilacs") during the Mexican-American War. You can find details of this theory at a page hosted by Clan Sinclair, along with the lyrics to both songs."
ask.yahoo.com...

others say different.........

Anyway We will probably always be hated......

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Can you imagine if Russia and China decided to get together and invade and occupy the United States? Let's say all our military is everywhere but here and the only defense we had is ourselves armed with our own weapons. Can you imagine if they were slaughtering our people every day and telling the world they were saving us from the Bush administration? We all need to put ourselves in the shoes of those lesser nations we have abused. Maybe then we will better understand that they do NOT hate us for our freedoms. What bunk that is.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   
The answer to your question in complex in my view.

First of all, let me say that I don't believe in the "other countries are jealous of America and its lifestyle" theory. At least as far as the western countries are concerned, I don't think that a majority of their inhabitants would want to trade places with Americans. This is not because they despise Americans, but because they actually *like* being Germans, French, British or Canadian.

America has been the greatest power in the world since World War II. It's used its power for good (USAID, emergency relief in countries like Haiti or Bangla Desh, etc.) and for ill (toppling democratically-elected President Arbenz in Guatemala, toppling Salvador Allende in Chile). So with great power comes great responsibility - and even greater scrutiny. It's obvious that the U.S., although it does a lot of good in the world, also wants to push its agenda - like any other country. But right now U.S. foreign policy is slowly taking up all the space. I think other countries are increasingly uneasy with that, especially when that foreign policy means the U.S. can basically strike "pre-emptively" anywhere in the world where its interests are threatened.

I can only speak for myself as a Canadian - but I'll say this: I don't hate America, I know it has done and does good in the world; however, I'm more and more worried to see a trend where America doesn't need the world anymore to police the world. I personally don't want to live in a world where the USA calls the shots for all of us.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyIvan
i say let the other countries pay for aid to africa and such. its not the us's fault that africa is the way it is now, its europes.

I beg to disagree. Remember that pesky slavery issue, where Western African countries were basically robbed of some of their population?

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
America has always been a great nation, what our politicians has done with it, is what is causing so much heated feeling around the world and in our own nation.

[edit on 18-11-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Otts

I beg to disagree. Remember that pesky slavery issue, where Western African countries were basically robbed of some of their population?

Ummm but we didn't start though......if you do research, a lot of slaves were being sold by their own people........and slavery was around A LONG time before the US was even a concept......Egypt comes to mind.........

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita
I really think that's an inaccurate generalization. America commands a lot of genuine respect around the world. It's a part of its current policies that many people around the globe find themsleves in deep diagreement with.

I tend to agree with you here, I do believe alot has to do with our administration currently in office but what people around the world need to do is realize this was our choice and its 4 more years, so why work against us instead of working with us?

Every other comment in the news is a anti-America remark from foriegn leaders to citizens.

Again, I think it's oversimplification. The new nations of the EU (east european) are extremely pro-American, and that birngs up an important point. The US wants influence in the European affairs, and there is also political competition between Germany, France and the new countries, and of course Britain. It's just complex politics. Bulgaria can say they 100% approve of the US policies because they simply are sucking up to the US. Britain insists on a special relationship with the US.

Most if not all of "Anti American" stuff you refer to is actually anti Bush anyway.
I understand the politics of it all, but for nations who are s uppose to be allies, its not the way to solve issues. Anti-American remarks only inflame the citizens, hence Bush victory IMO.

we fund governments almost entirely from Iraq, to Afghanistan to the people of Palestine and the Israeli's.

Iraq: it's a puppet govt and it receives $ from its master
Of course its a puppet, what were the choices right away, elections were not possible and still seem in far light at this point.
Palestine: its people lives in open air detention areas and the money is probably just embezzled by some corrupt Palestinian officersTrue enough, yet its wasted money unless the citizens actually recive the money. They have been funded more than enough to build a solid infrastructure 50x over.
Israel: The Israeli govt is not paid by the US directly but receives military aid. That must be stopped.For the only democracy in the region, I think its our political interest to keep funding them militarily. This could lead to a whole nother' debate though.

I just mentioned these because I disagree with that part of your argument.

Do we not have the right to protect our citizens any way we see fit, even if it happens to be a mistake in the "initial reasons"?

"See fit" implies sovereignty or internationally recognized legitimacy over the area where you operate. If you dont' have either, then no, you don't have the right.What about possible sovereignty issues such as smuggle arms to terrorists for a attack with no ties to a regime? That IMO is enough reason , given the case of Saddam to attack. If the man held up to his words on the sanctions then I would feel differently. Internationally recognized legitimacy IMO is not something the we need or should acquire. Other nations do not have the same interests as we as Americans do.

Are we hated because of all the people we free'd throughout history, or is it because of the people we didnt free?

I think you are fooling yourself here about that liberation process. Look at OBL, he was funded by the US under pretense of fighting for the Afghani freedom against the Soviets. The US knew full well what this person was.

The nation of Panama was created under Teddy's Roosevelt supervision, and you can also construe it as liberation from Colombia, unless you relaize that in fact the US needed the channel.

The Vietnam war was again a proxy war against the Soviets.

Wherever you look, the US looked after it's own imperial interests in all these "freedom" wars, and while I'm not saying this wrong, you should reassess your perception of the selfless US fighting wars for somebody else's benefit.True enough again although not all wars have turned out the way we wouldve liked we always had the secondary idea of freedom in mind, Vietnam etc.

Why is it that everyone feels the need to criticize the USA?

I have a guess: because it's policies are unjust?

Unjust to you and unjust to me are two seperate things. People have differences in opinions and always will, its how you acn correlate the ideas together that moves people forward, not by putting down ones ideas.

EDIT: Exceptionally large quote violation fixed, Dreamz.

[edit on 19-11-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Otts

Last Time I checked Europeans had slaves too.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   
yes, Europe had slaves. I didn't deny that.

That's not the issue. Flyersfan said that the U.S. hadn't contributed to the situation in Africa. I replied that America participated in the slave trade in the 19th century. So it did participate in what happened in Africa.

And please... let's not talk about degrees of fault. I'm not saying the U.S. shares more blame than Europe. I'm saying that the blinkin' continent is dying, the West had a role in it, and has the means to help.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   
AS a tax payer, I truely believe its time that the United States lets the rest of the world fend for themselves. If we were to take all the foreign aid money that has been spent over the last decade and invested it back into our own country. I think we would be better off. We have the technology to build and promote American made goods to other places in the world, which would help with the unemployment issue because this would create jobs, The money being spent to help 3rd world countries could be spent here to help homeless and distrought families get out of poverty and give them the oppertunity to work and become educated. Security for our nation would not be an issue because all our troops would be on our soil and would not be spread abroad. Globally we are positioned on the most strategic contienent in the world, Mexico and Canada will always be our friends and neighbors and with this it would be virtually impossible to ever launch an invasion on the United states. So there you have it, I vote close the dam door, lets start taking care of ourselves and F&%# the rest of the world becaue they dont appreciate what my tax dollars pay for anyway.

Just my thoughts.....

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I think that a large majority of the world is thankful for some of the aid we give to needy countries, and when people say they hate America, they usually hate the government, not the people.

People start to get aggrivated with the U.S. when we bring in our "Don't mess with the U.S." attitude and shove it down people's throats, like when we tell certain countries that they can't do this and that or face the consequences sort of deal. People really hate that.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join