It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why to buy fair trade coffee.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 09:05 AM
link   
CLICK HERE!

The world coffee price has hit a 30 year low and people are starving.

Does Starbucks give a #?

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Hey starbucks isnt even coffee

I would bet 99 percent of you here never tasted the real quality coffee.

So what starbucks do they grow cheep arse comercial strains, refine that it and make it real cheap. Farmers with the good stuff are put out of business. You drink artificial coffee thinking that its real coffee.

Pathetic isn't?

it's like hash in UK.

A guy: I got hash you want some?
Me: it aint hash dambass

Very pathetic.

[Edited on 21-5-2003 by Liberator]

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 01:49 PM
link   
OK, F-D, help me out here. The prices are really low because of a supply glut. Farmers are eating dirt because the price of coffee beans is at an incredible low.

While I hate the price is so low and the farmers aren't making profits, this is simply Eco. 101.

As far as Starbucks is concerned, I don't drink their crap. I'd rather drink coffee from a nearby Chevron station than Starbucks.

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Some of the best coffee you'll ever get is from the street corner coffee/donut vendors here in Manhattan. Great stuff... and $1.00 for a large.

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 08:37 PM
link   
How exactly does going against the elementary principles of supply and demand in the market constitute "fair" trading?

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I think if you check around, you will find out that independent farmers all over the world are in serious hurt. Every once in awhile, I read the local parer's farm news section. Those articles gives me the impression that small farmers in the USA are hurting. Could be a good topic for some reasearch. By the way if you are ever in the midwest - get your coffee from White Castles.

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 10:02 PM
link   
It's a recurrent problem j-flieger: do you subsidise (with all the possible national and international consequences) or do you take a Darwinian approach and let the fittest survive?
It remains a historical fact that "planned" approaches have not had a happy history -collectivisation was a disaster in Communist nations adn the most ambitious Western attempt: the EU's agricultural policy has been pretty much of a disaster too (happily the EU is rich enough to ride the storm).

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 11:47 PM
link   
What we are probably seeing is the end of the small independent farmer. From now on it will be the day of the corporate mega-farm. If you look you can see that the independent farmer in the USA is being squeezed out by the corporate farms owned by the manufactuer's.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

top topics

join