It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Paid Disinfo Members In Our Midst?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   

edit on 13/12/2013 by Sauron because: (no reason given)

(post by cartenz removed for a manners violation)

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by cartenz

I starred you as a former C64 owner as a child
but I feel that your post was a bit harsh, even if your points are valid to your argument.

King

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by kingears

I don't care whether a troll is paid or not, I'm here for the discussion. I have noticed that sometimes rudeness is used instead of discussion, but I put that down to a basic lack of people skills or personality disorder or in need of a straight jacket - I could go on but I hear the nurse approaching…..

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   

ATTENTION!!!!!

Please read before you post:

You are responsible for your own posts., so Go After the Ball, Not the Player!

We expect civility and decorum within all topics.

Terms and Conditions of Use--Please Review

edit on Sun Dec 8 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

marg6043
reply to post by opopanax

Google began in January 1996 as a research project by Larry Page and Sergey Brin when they were both PhD students at Stanford University in Stanford, California.[26]

While conventional search engines ranked results by counting how many times the search terms appeared on the page, the two theorized about a better system that analyzed the relationships between websites.[27] They called this new technology PageRank; it determined a website's relevance by the number of pages, and the importance of those pages, that linked back to the original site.[28][29]

A small search engine called "RankDex" from IDD Information Services designed by Robin Li was, since 1996, already exploring a similar strategy for site-scoring and page ranking.[30] The technology in RankDex would be patented[31] and used later when Li founded Baidu in China.[32][33]

Page and Brin originally nicknamed their new search engine "BackRub", because the system checked backlinks to estimate the importance of a site.[34][35][36] Eventually, they changed the name to Google, originating from a misspelling of the word "googol",[37][38] the number one followed by one hundred zeros, which was picked to signify that the search engine was intended to provide large quantities of information.[39] Originally, Google ran under Stanford University's website, with the domains google.stanford.edu and z.stanford.edu.[40][41]

The domain name for Google was registered on September 15, 1997,[42] and the company was incorporated on September 4, 1998. It was based in a friend's (Susan Wojcicki[26]) garage in Menlo Park, California. Craig Silverstein, a fellow PhD student at Stanford, was hired as the first employee.[26][43][44]

In May 2011, the number of monthly unique visitors to Google surpassed one billion for the first time, an 8.4 percent increase from May 2010 (931 million).[45] In January 2013, Google announced it had earned $50 billion in annual revenue for the year of 2012. This marked the first time the company had reached this feat, topping their 2011 total of $38 billion.[46]

en.wikipedia.org...

They started with the name of PageRank, then BackRub, and then to Googol as a misspelling name of Google, but back in 1996 it was another engine call RanDex with the same type of technology it seems like it was trying to copy the original PageRank from Larry Page and Sergey Brin research project, now like everything else it starts in one way and then metamorphosed into something else but the Google name came after.

Yes, is interesting to find out how research projects starts and become the trends of today.

edit on 8-12-2013 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

Yes, it is interesting how throwing a few scripts around can make you rich/famous/infamous/permabanned

I would like to hear ore of your opinions, do you have a blog or newsletter I could subscribe to?

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

I do not post much. I read a ton of threads and like to get to the end before I comment if I even do. Most of the time what I would have asked or maybe said has usually been addressed and there are some of the most amazing things to be found out by paying attention to what, how and by whom things are written. Some of the best minds around the world contribute to ATS and I don't like to look bad as a narcissist by saying something stupid and realizing it afterwards, so I read and think and watch.

I may not post much but I would be interested if there is a way to display time-on-line.

Anyway...dis-info is pretty easy to recognize if....

Due diligence.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   

RueBakon

I do not post much. I read a ton of threads and like to get to the end before I comment if I even do. Most of the time what I would have asked or maybe said has usually been addressed and there are some of the most amazing things to be found out by paying attention to what, how and by whom things are written. Some of the best minds around the world contribute to ATS and I don't like to look bad as a narcissist by saying something stupid and realizing it afterwards, so I read and think and watch.

I may not post much but I would be interested if there is a way to display time-on-line.

Due diligence.

You seem to average six posts a year, so hello on this rare but nice occasion. Please post more because, look, you can actually write sentences and related arrangements of letters, and it'd be interesting to know what you can share with us and what you've learned from sitting there sipping something and watching us monkeys dance the polka. Nice to meet you, and Merry Everything!
edit on 8-12-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

edit on 8-12-2013 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Aleister

RueBakon

Due diligence.

You seem to average six posts a year, so hello on this rare but nice occasion. Please post more because, look, you can actually write sentences and related arrangements of letters, and it'd be interesting to know what you can share with us and what you've learned from sitting there sipping something and watching us monkeys dance the polka. Nice to meet you, and Merry Everything!
edit on 8-12-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

I second aleisters comment about you posting more

I'm the same. I generally do not post much because any questions or comments I may think of making will 99% of the time, already been covered. That and i feel i lack the intelligence to contribute appropriately sometimes. This is a rare thread that I thought would contribute and benefit members of the site as a whole.

Thank you for your contribution

King
edit on 8/12/2013 by kingears because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

What i noticed after the NSA?GCHQ and Richard Snowden affair the posts seemed to dramatically decline.

For sure there are shills on here.I think the type of person that generally comes on here is by default a critical thinker and so the intelligence services come here to snoop and derail if certain members are touching on the truth that they wish to remain secret.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I've wondered this. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume there are paid agents, either corporate shills, else actual government operatives. It's the most visited CT site in the world, and there's a lot of thought patterns which originate here, and propagate out into society in general.

It's well known that we're in the information age, and the war is for our minds. It's an information war. It makes perfect sense to try and shape the thought patterns of eccentrics on sites like ATS.

There's some evidence that sock-puppets are being used by the military, intelligence agencies, and private security/intelligence companies for this very purpose. Why would anyone think it absolutely couldn't happen on ATS is beyond me. I think it's more reasonable to assume that it's been going on for some time now.

I've been to this site since 2007. There was a time of awesome threads, and great discussions from 2007-2010 or so. Since then, coinciding with information about the use of sock-puppets being used by the above mentioned, the quality of posts seems to have declined here. Many astute members left, for one reason or another. I've witnessed a transformation, and wonder if it was truly organic in nature, or artificially introduced.

I'm not sure.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by webedoomed

same here i have visited since late 2007 but i am sure we are dealing with a.i now and again with some of the daft threads that roll by now and again and how easy would it be for some agency to have 20 + accounts per user .

but the a.i one i would put money on that it is up and running and being tested on these types of sites to guage the reaction

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Hey get better soon

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by geobro

Agreed. I think the sock puppets have been going on for at least a decade, and the AI is in it's childhood.

I tend to think that a lot of public "leaks" are planned, or allowed way in advance.

It's a trick intelligent entities use. You play your victims for curious fools. You realize they will eventually find the truth of the matter if left alone, so throw them a bone that doesn't really thwart your end goals.

Basically you provide information that is several steps/years behind, and make them believe that,

1. they were correct in their general analysis

and

2. that the latest tools are only capable of X.

In reality, they've already moved onto Y, Z, alpha, and omega, and don't much care if you focus on X. It works to their benefit to play that they're only so powerful. An underestimated opponent will conquer.

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join