It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police block Mexico hospital, 6 may have radiation

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I think the actual danger from a dirty bomb is always exaggerated by the news media. I remember watching a documentary about it once and they concluded that it would be very difficult to weaponize radiative material as you would have to get it into a form where it would disperse easily. just attaching it to a bomb doesn't do much at all.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   

PhoenixOD
reply to post by xuenchen

I think the actual danger from a dirty bomb is always exaggerated by the news media. I remember watching a documentary about it once and they concluded that it would be very difficult to weaponize radiative material as you would have to get it into a form where it would disperse easily. just attaching it to a bomb doesn't do much at all.

Yes, I agree However, keep in mind that the purpose of such a device is to spread terror and fear, not to be "effective" at spreading radiation. Think of it this way, how much more panic would ensue if it was reported that the explosion at the Boston Marathon registered above normal radiation levels? Can you imagine the hospitals inundated with hundreds of scared people worried they were exposed to radiation from the blasts? The long-term impact to the insurance companies from the claims of radiation poisoning? The inevitable fraud that would ensue?

Regardless whether it was a small amount or not, it would freak out an entire city, regardless of that city. And, if that city was a transportation hub, what then, it could spread that fear across the globe.

edit on 12/6/2013 by Krakatoa because: Fixed spelling and other fat-finger errors

(post by ATSAlex removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
They got what they deserved. Darwin. If you're so stupid as to ignore a radiation sign, death to you.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   

edit on 12/6/2013 by suz62 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   

All six of the men tested at Pachuca General Hospital were negative for radiation poisoning, Hidalgo state health official Jose Antonio Copca said. They were released around 6:10 p.m. (7:10 p.m. ET), the state's health agency said in a statement.

CNN

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   

FissionSurplus
As long as they don't fall into the hands of somebody who actually understands how to use them in a weapon, the damage will be contained to a small area.

Hi Fission.
Not always true I'm afraid. A few years back a truck (in the uk) travelled many miles carrying its radioactive cargo, it was part a hospital xray machine. It was discovered to have a hole through which a very dangerous xray beam was leaking. I remember it appearing on the news, but it got quickly buried for obvious reasons. Just imagine how many people may have been zapped as it drove through towns and cities.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

LDragonFire

CNN

All six of the men tested at Pachuca General Hospital were negative for radiation poisoning, Hidalgo state health official Jose Antonio Copca said. They were released around 6:10 p.m. (7:10 p.m. ET), the state's health agency said in a statement.

That's a good find !!

Opens the door for a possible cover-up now.

Hard to trust "news" from Mexico.

Hard to trust "news" from anywhere.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   

LDragonFire

CNN

Why did they go to the hospital then ~~

Stuffy nose?

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   

PhoenixOD
I think the actual danger from a dirty bomb is always exaggerated by the news media.

The danger from a dirty bomb is mostly caused by sheeple. There's no real danger. You could setup outdoor showers and decontaminate and move people out of the area over time and very few would die. It's meant to scare. Kind of like other terrorist attacks. Almost no one dies in the grand scheme of things but they fear monger about it on the news forever.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I think they knew what they stole and how to take it apart.

2.bp.blogspot.com...

3.bp.blogspot.com...

2.bp.blogspot.com...

3.bp.blogspot.com...

About 1 a.m. Monday, a man armed with a handgun knocked on the passenger window . When the passenger rolled down his window, the gunman demanded the keys to the vehicle, Morales said.
Both the driver and his assistant were taken to an empty lot where they were bound and told not to move. They heard one of the assailants use a walkie-talkie type device or phone to tell someone, "It's done," Morales said.
edit on 8-12-2013 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 03:17 AM
link   

VoidHawk
A few years back a truck (in the uk) travelled many miles carrying its radioactive cargo, it was part a hospital xray machine. It was discovered to have a hole through which a very dangerous xray beam was leaking.

Well, no. X-ray machines don't leak x-rays or have them in a bottle inside or something. You make all the x-rays you want on the spot with a big HV power supply and a tungsten target. When the machine's not on, there aren't any x-rays in there.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Krakatoa

Regardless whether it was a small amount or not, it would freak out an entire city, regardless of that city. And, if that city was a transportation hub, what then, it could spread that fear across the globe.

Actually, that's true, and cobalt is a GREAT way to do it. If you had some true believers you could sacrifice for the cause, you could turn the pellets to a nice fluffy powder with a cheap ball mill, then spread it around some high-priced area, Manhattan Island is the default target in a lot of exercises. It's tough to scrub off, because it oxidizes to cobaltous oxide which is insoluble in water and tends to get into little crevices and stay there.

In 20 years or so, it would be sort of safe to go back, but it could cause havoc in the meantime. No one would want to go back there for quite a while, and anytime you got a brisk wind going in dry weather, you'd get some back in the air as an aerosol and it would be a danger for lung cancer for 50 years or more.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Depending on the dose there in for a very slow painfull death.

If lucky they may just get out of it permently sterlised.

I have handled alot of scary stuff, CAT 3 microbs like plague and hep C, cynaide, chemo drugs that are insanely toxic. But when dealing with radiation...that has always made me the most nervous.
edit on 8-12-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   

MrLimpet

LDragonFire

CNN

Why did they go to the hospital then ~~

Stuffy nose?

So radiation poisoning is the only reason to goto the hospital?

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Bedlam

VoidHawk
A few years back a truck (in the uk) travelled many miles carrying its radioactive cargo, it was part a hospital xray machine. It was discovered to have a hole through which a very dangerous xray beam was leaking.

Well, no. X-ray machines don't leak x-rays or have them in a bottle inside or something. You make all the x-rays you want on the spot with a big HV power supply and a tungsten target. When the machine's not on, there aren't any x-rays in there.

That makes sense, I was just repeating what they said on the tv news, maybe it was some other kind of machine. What I remember of the report was that the device had a hole in the side and it was leaking. I feel sure they said it was an x-ray machine, but its possible I'm remembering it wrong, or maybe they reported it wrong.

I'd do a search on google but it would probably flag me up as someone of interest

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidWalker

I am actually curious if they knew what the heck it was that they stole? I always thought radioactive waste had an international symbol tacked to the side of it. What were they thinking lol.... assuming it is the culprits to the truck heist.

They thought they were stealing a truck. They didn't give a # about the load. It is possible that it was unmarked. I have heard stories of drivers disguising dangerous loads to avoid scrutiny in some areas. Transporting radioactive waste through suburban streets is not a very popular practice.

The actual container would have been marked, though. So yes they were right idiots.

edit on 8/12/2013 by rnaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by MrLimpet

Why did they go to the hospital then ~~ Stuffy nose?

Because the news said they could be in real trouble. And they could have been.

The police were saying things like '... if they aren't dead already...' etc, etc.

Apparently they got lucky. Or not. Depends on your view of the Mexican justice system, I guess.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by imawlinn

Winner winner chicken dinner! I think they have found those responsible for stealing the truck full of radioactive materials.

That's too funny and most likely true!

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Montana
It is true that we are ALL vulnerable to a radiological attack. There is certainly enough source material available in the world (even more common in the US) to make it a concern.

Out of curiosity, why is it more common in the USA than anywhere else?
Pretty sure anything common in USA is also Common throughout Europe and probably Asia too.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join