It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Milk Prices Could Rise To $8 A Gallon In 2014: Here's Why

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   

buddha
oh I can see this!!!
Milk from US will cost a LOT.

But if they buy from over sea's.

it will be cheep.
so US milk farmers Die out.

No. As I understand it the government is FORCED to buy the milk. It will simply either cause the government to sell the milk for less than they pay for it, or the milk will sit on the shelf and spoil. Tax payers will be paying for it either way.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   

caitlinfae

It's extremely unhealthy for us...it's made for calves, not humans.

Pasturized milk from factory farmed cows fed grains and living in their own 'stuff' is unhealthy.

Not wholesome pasture fed raw milk.

My mother never drank milk - was horribly alergic. I never drank much but it seemed okay. My daughter - horribly alergic, to the point that I couldn't have any dairy products whatsoever while nursing her. My daughter had trouble with the proteins in the milk (i.e. casien (sp)). She did okay with goat milk and cheese. Turns out the quality of the casein in the milk is dependant on the feed of the animal and grain fed cows (now largely fed on GM corn) produce an very inferior protein.

My daughter has never liked milk but has no problem with raw grassfed milk.

Pasturization also kills the very enzymns that you need to properly digest foods. Any pasturized food (heat or radioactive pasturization) kills the enzymes that you need to properly digest and absorb the nutrients in the food.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

Whey protein has become very popular as in the body building supplements industry and health industry, that is why is becoming a hot item and getting expensive. Also is use as an alternative for those that have lactose intolerance.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Excellent news!

Seeing as few people would stand for such a price hike, yet they really aren't going to do much feeling disenfranchised, they'll follow the path of least resistance.

Yep, that means picking up cheaper, higher grade milk from a local farmer.

Honestly? I don't think this will happen. Inflation is already going to hit double digits if not next year then 2015... this would really freak people out to be hit with the double whammy. Imagine instead of $8, it's now 11 or 12. Just not happening.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Actually, when prices spiked a year of so ago, we did some research and found that big corporations were tapping into the Asian market, where bottled water is HUGE, and adding whey protein to the bottled beverages.
Increasing demand and prices....while the supply dwindled in this country.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Time to cut out milk from a few things if such a thing were to happen. I know it's steadily rising where I work at as I keep changing the prices every now and again. I do believe we are at 3.29 or so now or so, though thankfully it goes on sale quite a bit to at least push the price down a bit.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Terrible news. As one who drinks at least two litres of milk every day, sometimes four. Quick solution is of course we all buy a cow, or have community cows. I'd feed it, why not?

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   

sheepslayer247
If they price a gallon of milk at $8......they will go out of business and they know it.

So I would say that we will not see $8 a gallon for milk.

I agree. I have a friend who is already selling milk and is building a dairy. They are selling at what they want to price it at because it's mom and pop. They sell a gallon for 6 bucks GMO and make a huge profit with very little land. If people actually have to compete there's no way in heck milk will go to 8 dollars. They will in fact go bankrupt because people will buy the out of town powdered milk. I say let them.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Gothar

Yes Master Cow,
You are most enlightened and correct.
Here is why:

www.youtube.com...

Hoo Haa ! WeeoooWeeeoooWeeeooo

S&F

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Ramcheck
Terrible news. As one who drinks at least two litres of milk every day, sometimes four. Quick solution is of course we all buy a cow, or have community cows. I'd feed it, why not?

In certain communities, mostly in states that have outlawed raw milk, you can buy a 'cow-share' and get your milk that way - know the farmer.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   

What can I say, the land of opportunity and all for profits over anything else, that's is been happening lately with other food items, like claiming shortage of coffee and chocolate.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

From what I have heard, it's not just whey that is being diverted to Asia.

My butcher told me the same about beef.
There's only so much quality beef being produced in the US.
And a lot of it is contracted out to places like Asia....they've got the money.
I guess too many here want cheap pricers rather than quality.
And, or course, with the foreign contracts, the supply here is diminished, hence the prices are up.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Gothar

So basically all dairy products could follow suite. Get ready for even more expensive ice cream and cheese. I wonder how many less heart attacks we will see as a result?

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
8$ per gallon is not an unreal price projection folks .

Here in Canada , I drink 3.25% , and it is 7.85 per 4 liters , jus over 1 U.S gallon . But it is fresh , no additives or hormones , our milk is the best in the world apparently , so is our price worth it hell yes

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
The inability for our nation's leaders to make decisions is the most frustrating part of all this. There are close to 100 bills sitting on the table, waiting for congress to come together and say yay or nay. However, they would rather bicker among themselves and in turn, nothing gets done. Winter break for congress is only a few weeks away, and the new year will come and go without any progress. These things will happen, and more, when congress re-convenes in January. Just like sequestering. The impact will be felt across the nation.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   

You're also seeing the effect of the Midwestern drought. A lot of producers had to scale back their herds to survive it. So, less American beef is being produced.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   

That is soo true is not funny, manufactured GMO feed stocks coming from California and central US is what you find mostly in the stores, very cheap.

I remember that most oversea countries has banned meat and other food items like milk, due to the way that laws in the US are when it comes to testing animals for diseases like Mad cow, also the problem with the GMO feed and contamination.

But if the US can tap on a small market that will pay higher prices for quality meat products I guess they will make more profits while still making profits feeding crap to the American people.

US manufactured food is no good for over sea countries, but is ok for the American consumer and who is at fault? I guess we have grown to be a nation that wants quantity over quality.

The irony.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

caitlinfae

Philippines
reply to post by Gothar

Actually, a price rise in milk could be a beneficial thing to the health of many Americans who cannot afford it. Commercially processed cows milk, to my knowledge so far, is very unhealthy for humans.

It's extremely unhealthy for us...it's made for calves, not humans. The fact that we've been trained to think it tastes good makes no difference. Try doing without dairy in your diet for a week or two and see the massive difference it makes to your health, especially your intestinal health. It wouldn't be a bad thing at all for it to be unaffordable for a lot of people, from a health perspective anyway. There are many other things that can be used as a much healthier food source for us, like nut milks. The protein casein which is in milk is thought to be a major cancer promoter...and we wonder why there is a cancer epidemic. We've been marketed products that will kill us slowly, and now we're being told that we won't be able to afford the "healthy" stuff...it's a game.

I agree completely. Human milk is for human adolescents to a certain age, and cow milk is for calves until a certain age.

Consumption of trans-specie milk (usually commercially processed) on rare occasions should not be harmful, but should be done sparingly.

In most of Asia the dairy products are so bad I don't even bother. Outside of the big cities here are processed vegetable oil cheeses, powdered, evaporated and condensed milk, UHT milk, and other variants of processed cow "milk" products, which are usually oxidized through the processed rendering it very unhealthy.

I enjoy cow dairy, but seldom get the chance to eat it, or let alone buy it

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join