It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unarmed man charged with shooting bystanders shot by polcie

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   

An unarmed, emotionally disturbed man shot at by the police as he was lurching around traffic near Times Square in September has been charged with assault, on the theory that he was responsible for bullet wounds suffered by two bystanders, according to an indictment unsealed in State Supreme Court in Manhattan on Wednesday.

When he reached into his pants pocket, two officers, who, the police said, thought he was pulling a gun, opened fire, missing Mr. Broadnax, but hitting two nearby women.

Most will ask "where's the taser?"

Here it is:

Finally, a police sergeant knocked Mr. Broadnax down with a Taser.

Video of the incident here: Video

Watch'em dance and hoot and holler and that one cop skip back and forth like it's his birthday.

Article here

Lots has been written on why cops, the NYPD especially, cant seem to hit the broad side of a barn. Possible reasons range from lack of range time, lack of force on force training to the ridiculous trigger pull weight standards set by municipalities. The regulation weight for the NYPD is 12 pounds for Christs sake.

Recruit insecure narcissistic bigots (police personality profiles) , give them broken equipment and reduce their training hours. USA! USA! USA!
edit on 6-12-2013 by SkepticOverlord because: fixed link

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
The original charges are enough. The man was clearly not in the correct state of mind but this didn't warrant opening fire into a crowd of people. The two gun-blazing cops should be charged for reckless endangerment or even assault.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   

freakjive
The original charges are enough. The man was clearly not in the correct state of mind but this didn't warrant opening fire into a crowd of people. The two gun-blazing cops should be charged for reckless endangerment or even assault.

Someone shoots me when Ive done nothing, and had no part of the crime.

I want at-least Assault with a deadly combined with an Attempted Murder charge.

You know what a Citizen would get charged with who did the same in self defense and hit an innocent.

ETA:
Kinda like this.

Florida woman fataly shot

edit on 6-12-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I have to agree with you. They should most certainly be held to the same laws if not even greater laws. I'm so tired of hearing about this kind of BS on a daily basis. There are never any examples made from this poor behavior so they will never change.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

thisguyrighthere

on the theory that he was responsible for bullet wounds suffered by two bystanders

Teflon cops.
No charges will stick on them.
As always.

Edit - the article reminds us of the shooting when officers struck nine bystanders in front of the Empire State Building last year.
With NINE bystanders being shot,
Paul J. Browne, the Police Department’s chief spokesman, said the officers had done nothing wrong. “How would one expect police officers to reasonably react?” he said.

Although that one is still going through the courts, precedent is not on the side of the citizens.

Another New York cops-shooting-bystanders case a few years back when cops fired 25 shots at a suspect in a busy street... and ended up with two injured citizens.
The Police Department were sued initially, but the case got thrown out.

Maybe some cops could give examples of where shooting innocent bystanders actually did result in something like, for example, getting sacked or convicted of negligence.

edit on 6-12-2013 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I want at-least Assault with a deadly combined with an Attempted Murder charge.

Ok, I understand that there should be some sort of compensation for the person hurt. And, if the officer's actions are found to be extremely negligent during the shooting, obviously that officer should be held accountable.

For criminal charges, such as Assault and Attempted Murder, you have to prove the officer's intent. It is clear the officer did not have the intention to assault or murder the bystanders that were hit in the cross fire.

Maybe a criminal charge for gross negligence, if there is one in New York, but assault and attempted murder of the bystanders is a bit ridiculous.

You know what a Citizen would get charged with who did the same in self defense and hit an innocent.

ETA:
Kinda like this.

The woman in the article you quoted was charged with a crime because her actions and intent were deemed to be criminal.

She told police it was "a f--ked up accident" because she thought it was Lane, 39, who was "banging and kicking on her front door," according to the police report obtained by CNN.

"As she opened the door, a shot was fired, hitting her daughter in the upper chest," the police release said. "The 4 month-old was not injured. Ruby Bing died at the scene."

She told police that she "intended to use the firearm to kill her boyfriend, because he stated he was going to come back and kill her," the police report said.

Link

From the article, you can see that someone was banging and kicking on her door and she opened it, thinking it was her boyfriend, and immediately shot that person. It turned out to be her daughter.

Even if it was her boyfriend, whom she had just fought with, until he starts breaking the door down and entering the house, she cannot use her firearm.

And she even went as far as to articulate her intention was to kill her boyfriend.

This is why her actions have no comparison to the police shooting in New York. And it is clear why her actions were deemed criminal.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Teflon cops.
No charges will stick on them.
As always.

Lets get real. I just saw a thread about a cop in Texas being charged with the rape of a woman while he was on duty. The picture in the thread is the cop's ARREST photo.
Link

It turns out, when cops are charged with actions that are clearly criminal the charges do stick.

In a situation such as this one, it is a little more complicated then that.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Americans, what the hell is going on in your country!

Son of a bitch, I understand that the guy might have been a little unstable, but how idiotic and
action-seeking do those policemen have to be in order to open fire in a CROWDED STREET !!!

If this is the new normal, pretty soon you will find yourself living in an Orwellian state...
...Oh but wait, my mistake, you already are...

How sad

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   

has been charged with assault, on the theory that he was responsible for bullet wounds suffered by two bystanders

There is the problem. Blame some else. So he might have had a weapon so he is the reason the officers shoot up the crowd. Everyone in the city might have a weapon or might do a crime, etc, etc. Major CYA in play.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Police open fire because an unarmed man is acting strangely in Manhattan so shoot up a few bystanders and that is considered justified?? I would hate to be walking about in San Francisco if this catches on. If I see any police nearby I am heading somewhere safer.

new topics

top topics

join