It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you think? US National Flag Ordered at Half Staff for Nelson Mandela

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
what is most disturbing to me, is that there are so few men in this world that are so committed to peace, that the world honors them because of their rarity.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

jimmyx
what is most disturbing to me, is that there are so few men in this world that are so committed to peace, that the world honors them because of their rarity.

VERY TRUE. Good point. The world needs more peacemakers.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

LDragonFire
I stand corrected, your right,

Apology accepted.

I have to assume I have been indoctrinated to relate the right wing with racism,

Asking Americans when they feel the flag should be lowered isn't a right/left question.
It's just asking when people think something rises to the level that the national flag should dip.

when people call me names I get pissed and will say things I don't really mean.

Honestly dude ... the only people calling others names on this thread were you and another poster (who called me, and those who agreed with me, bobbleheads.) Everyone else was well behaved.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   

FlyersFan

crazyewok
If American when caught up worrying about abit of fabric on a pole ...

No one is 'caught up worrying' about it. That's really blowing things up out of proportion.
This is a simple question for Americans at ATS ...
When do you think the US National Flag should be dipped to half staff?

If you aren't American ... or if you are American and think it's a stupid question ... then just move along and go to a different thread. No big deal.

So ............... we can't have an opinion cuz we are not American? ok, i'll trot off and let you get on with it, i understand your sentiments and know where you are coming from FF having read over half the comments on here. I wouldn't expect the flag to be flown at half for the likes of Kim Jom Ill, Kim Jom Un and the likes ..... however ......... respect due where respect is due. I'm out ..... its an American only thread apparently

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

FlyersFan

JohnnyCanuck
this thread is nothing but a call for bobbleheads of the same mind.

Grow up. It's a very simple question. You decided to come on here and be all snarky
and insulting over a very simple question. Since you aren't American and don't
understand our culture, it's not a thread for you anyways. Bu-bye.

I do believe I answered the question in more than one of its several layers. And I do believe that I have traveled more widely in America than most of its citizens, so I've got a hunch. Finally...what I do understand is that you are merrily proving my contentions. If you don't get by now...you ain't gonna.

Water's a mite shallow in these parts...'Bu-bye' indeed.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

boymonkey74
I think it is the least he deserves, he changed the face of the planet and for once for the good of all.
I think we all should pay out respects anyway we should.

Have we not payed or are we not going to pay enough respect? It seems that there is an expected amount of respect that should be paid. I'm all find and dandy when it comes to paying said respect but the lowered flag is as stated, symbolism to Americas that we as a country have suffered a huge loss that for almost every american will be unforgettable.

Also just wanted to add: We live in a nation of leaders that (sarcasm) would lower the national flag if any of the top 3 banks collapsed. There is always a PR reason behind things like this, don't just think it was purely about Mandela
edit on 6-12-2013 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

For god's sake it's just a simple mark of respect!

At the end of the day, it's just a bit of material fluttering in the wind!

Why would it not be the right thing to do?

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Kram09

Did you read the comment above your?

Would like to know if you agree, disagree or are bipartisan.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I would just say that lowering the flag is a simple act of courtesy and decency.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
If we think back, Mandela was a pretty big thing back in the 80's and 90's for many citizens of the US. Concerts, boycotts, demonstrations, his situation was a part of most nightly news shows for quite a while. I think there are probably enough citizens with high regards for the man to justify flying the flag low.

Since the flag code allows for it, and I think there are many citizens who would like to see it happen I say take her all the way up and then bring her back down a bit for a day or two.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

For a committed terrorist responsible for genocide of white citizens of SA and ruining once prosperous nation? Sure, why not.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Kram09

Did you bother to read the opening post or did you just get all uptight because I am the one who started the thread? The question is .... when do YOU think it is appropriate to lower the national flag? You didn't answer the question. How about you give it a try ...

When .... what circumstances ... for who ...

edit on 12/6/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Tomorrow it will be at 1/2 staff again for Perl Harbor Day them back full for Sunday. Lets see how SA acts now that he's gone. I bet it gets real ugly real fast.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
The flag is lowered for people of fame, it seems.

Very good people, as demonstrated by the life they led, die every day in this country. I think fame should be the last fact taken into account. Maybe the flag should stay at half mast.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   

FlyersFan
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It was lowered for Ted Kennedy .. a retired US democrat from Massachusetts.

Senator Kennedy died in office. That is why flags were lowered in his honor. It happens more or less automatically in accordance with the Flag Code for sitting members of Congress. While the honor can be conferred upon a retired official, that was not the case with Senator Kennedy.

And trying to parse out what "dignitary" means by insisting it means something else which if that was the intended meaning would have been in the Flag Code instead of dignitary is just foolish. If the code wanted it to apply only to sitting foreign heads of state, it would have said so. It doesn't, so that's obviously not what was intended. The Flag Code was, instead, written specifically to allow the sitting President some discretion. Implying that Mandela was somehow the equal to Princess Diana suggests a deep misunderstanding of Mandela's place in history and the reverence he is held in around the world and in the United States.

The idea that lowering flags to half-staff for Nelson Mandela will open the flood-gates is a bizarre example of a slippery slope fallacy. The fact is, flags have been lowered for foreign dignitary's exactly three times under the Flag Code. For Winston Churchill, Pope John Paul II, and now Nelson Mandela. All three had singular historical impacts that reverberated around the globe. Simply put, no one alive has distinguished themselves in such a manner, so I see little reason to fret about this becoming a common occurrence. It is a modest recognition of foreign leaders whose impact was especially strongly felt here in America, and the standards set for the honor are of the highest order.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   

it's appropriate for things like Sandy Hook and 9/11 and Pearl Harbor, but when we start lowering it for world leaders or former world leaders, no matter how much some folks admire them, then it'll be lowered all the time and the 'half staff' will lose it's real meaning.

What is it's real meaning?

Someone who made a real difference in this world has passed on

I don't want to live in a country that can't show respect for anyone that isn't American - that can't feel loss or feel the pain of others and then demonstrate that respect and shared grief in some small, simple symbolic way

It's a truly great country (and a sign of a secure nation) that can display these things - in my humble opinion

Rest in peace Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   

name2come
Senator Kennedy died in office. That is why flags were lowered in his honor.

I understand what the LAW says. I"m not talking about that.
I"m asking what YOU think ... when should it be lowered and when shouldnt' it be?

Do you agree with lowering it for Ted Kennedy? John Paul II? Nelson Mandela?
The Christmas Tsunami victims? Sandy Hook? Etc??

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

As a rule, no. But as with any rule there are exceptions.

Nelson Mandela would be one, in my opinion.

As has been mentioned, he, along with Desmond Tutu, were instrumental in destroying Apartheid in South Africa.

I've no real issue with this at all.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law.

I don't see murderous Marxist terrorists on that list. We gave the man a ticker tape parade. Enough already.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Can't wait for the backlash when Queen Liz dies and your flag is lowered half way

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join