It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you think? US National Flag Ordered at Half Staff for Nelson Mandela

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

spacedog1973

thesaneone

LDragonFire
reply to post by macman

Is your ideological disbelieve that racism no longer exists all you have?

So far I'm right about this thread, it is predictably leaning in the ideological way I thought it would go.

Racism only exists because people like you use it in any and all arguments that you don't agree with.

How so?

That is one of the most stupid things I've seen posted here.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   

JohnnyCanuck

Logarock
We have the right to reserve a symbolic honor to our own and not turn it into part of our foreign policy pandering.

As to microcosms. I might point out that a vast knowledge or regard for what goes on in the rest of the world is not a condition generally attributed to the average American...God love them.

Its a myth though. Largely. Average Joe maybe and yes it is embarrassing when its seen.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

LDragonFire
Excuse me, but this thread was started because a black man died and a black man has ordered flags to be flown at half mass.

Excuse me, but YOU are the only person interjecting race into the question.

In almost every group of people you can count on at least 15% to be racist, and your group feels like racism no longer exists? Its a logical conclusion.

1 - That's an arbitrary number pulled out of the air by you.
2 - 'MY GROUP" .. do you even know what that is? Answer .. NO.
3 - NO ONE said racism doesn't exist.
4 - Logical conclusion - you are stuck on race. This thread wasn't about race.

VERY SIMPLE QUESTION .... When should the US Flag be lowered to Half Staff??
NOTHING in that even REMOTELY suggests race. To claim it does ... that's absurd.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

You don't consider Nelson Mandela a foreign dignitary?

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   

JohnnyCanuck
this thread is nothing but a call for bobbleheads of the same mind.

Grow up. It's a very simple question. You decided to come on here and be all snarky
and insulting over a very simple question. Since you aren't American and don't
understand our culture, it's not a thread for you anyways. Bu-bye.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

LDragonFire
Is your ideological disbelieve that racism no longer exists all you have?

Actually, your posts prove it does.

So far I'm right about this thread,

Only in your little mind.
Again .. there is NOTHING racist about the question or the responses .. except yours.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   

I disagree, I have not called anyone names, but I do think this thread is racially motivated.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

LDragonFire
You don't consider Nelson Mandela a foreign dignitary?

He was a retired foreign politician. He was president from May 10, 1994 – June 14, 1999.
He was a civil rights leader for South Africa.

And I didn't ask if the flag should be lowered 'according to the law'.
I asked 'when do YOU think it should be lowered'. BIG DIFFERENCE.

The question is ... is this nation in mourning over his death?
Should it be lowered for him? Should it have been lowered for Pope John Paul II? (it was)
Should it have been lowered for the Christmas Tsunami victims? (it was)

It's very simple. Not a darn thing racist about any of it.
And it's not a 'bunch of bobbleheads' who say it shouldn't be lowered.
That's freak' stupid.
It's Americans expressing their view on when this country should be 'officially in mourning'.

Gawd ....

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
In amongst the bickering and muck throwing several members actually tried to answer the question raised....... If we can remember that far back.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Yes it should be lowered.

link   

LDragonFire

I disagree, I have not called anyone names, but I do think this thread is racially motivated.

Why don't you race-bait somewhere else? The adults are having a conversation.

link   

LDragonFire

Right there .. you just called people racist. You called me racist.
1 - You are dead wrong.
2 - If you knew the racial makeup of my family you'd feel stupid even suggesting racism.
3 - I challenge you to find ANYTHING I said on this thread that is racist. Triple dog dare you.
Good luck with that.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
It's a seriously petty issue to rabble about considering the economy is crumbling away IMO. The government is also not too concerned with what we think anyway. Two monster snowstorms that we have to name (because we're naming all the freak weather now) while on the South side it's 70+ degrees on December 6th - I guess b/itching about a flag is the little stuff we feel with have any control over now days while the sun goes nuts along with all humans lol.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   

I stand corrected, your right, I shouldn't have said that about your motivation for posting this thread.

I have to assume I have been indoctrinated to relate the right wing with racism, and when people call me names I get pissed and will say things I don't really mean.
edit on 6-12-2013 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Floydshayvious
It's a seriously petty issue to rabble about considering....

No one is rabbling ... well, except for two rude posters interjecting insults ...

It's just a simple question for discussion on a rainy (soon to be snowy) afternoon. We are capable of discussing many different things at the same time. When should America lower it's flag to half staff? Not when LEGALLY .. but when do you feel the flag should be lowered.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Given that it's relatively widely known that the CIA assisted in Mandela's arrest in the '60's, it may be an expression of guilt. But doubt it.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   

If the administration wants to lower the flag because they want to respect a dead guy with such status is their choice at the moment. Hell if you want to know I think the flag should have stayed low since 2001 - lot's of reasons to keep it that way in between the red versus blue nonsense and monster weather lol.

I don't know how low it actually goes though.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that people would find a reason to not like it.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   

buster2010
For the people saying that it is inappropriate for the flag to be lowered for Mandela may want to check up on the flag codes here in the states.

Flag Code

In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law.

Deny ignorance don't embrace it.

oh c'mon, buster...you know as well as I do, that "ignorance" is widely accepted on ATS...that's why the very motto "deny ignorance" is prominently splashed across it's various pages. the mere fact that it is there, is the owners way of saying "question everything" instead of trusting what others say.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   

SkepticOverlord
Given that it's relatively widely known that the CIA assisted in Mandela's arrest in the '60's, it may be an expression of guilt. But doubt it.

THAT would make a great conspiracy thread ... the CIA/Mandela in the 1960s.

You might be on to something ... not 'an expression of guilt' ... but more like covering their butts and trying to make it look like 'awww, we are like everyone else and are so sad he died, BTW don't look at what is going on behind the CIA curtain' ....

Nothing that happens in DC is ever at face value.
There's always an agenda.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

You do realize the question wasn't 'when does the law say the flag should be lowered' ... but instead the question was 'when do YOU think it should be lowered'. You do realize that, right? No? Deny ignorance. Try reading the opening post again and then get back to us ...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join