It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Ancient City Is Discovered Underwater. What They Found Will Change History Forever

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   

geo1066
reply to post by CosmicDude

I read your link. That is an awesome find. Something just didn't sit with me quite right though. You know that old saying "..if it looks to good to be true.."? Maybe my lack of knowledge, but I would think that all of those artifacts being underwater for 1500+ years would have some sort of 'Mother Nature' growing on them.

The bird's eye view of the statues and what appears to be a section of wall on the barge deck. I'm assuming the wall failed at some point, so how did they retrieve that large of a section without breaking the mortar joints? Very clean mortar joints I might add.

The gylphs on that wall underwater. It looks like a scholar had just chiseled them out yesterday.

Also, the gold pan, gold was worth as much then, as it is now. Were they in a hurry to leave and couldn't return?

Your link looks to be a good source for information but it all looks too staged to me.

One last thing while I'm being so critical, I could have very well missed it but "Where's the '..History Changing..' part that's mentioned in the topic's title?

It could be that the artifacts were covered in sand and gravel, and that they simply used vacuum equipment to either blow or suck the sediment away. For stuff to grow there was also need to be the right mix of temperature and nutrients in the ocean along with steady currents.

If there had been an earthquake and tsunami, it could have been that the sea receded along with the sound of heavy stones in the bay being dragged backwards. That would have caused panic, with the belief that Poseidon was angry. Then everyone would have just started running to the hills, leaving everything behind. If that is the case, then there should be a debris field going across the sea.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   

angkory13
reply to post by 1Providence1

I did a preliminary search around Easter Island, and in fact there is strange things on the floor. Kind of bubbles,
with perfectly rounded bases, got my attention. But there is more,i'll look it in deep. I wish Google give us more resolution in the near future. If satellite imagery can spot a knife in the ground, why Google give us so poor resolution

edit on 7-12-2013 by angkory13 because: (no reason given)

That's what I said, but it appears google is shot by air not space.

You would have to have a lot of money or be a big shot to use a satellite.

Haven't you ever seen the google street view car drive around, they do same thing with airplane.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Hell f#ing yeah, man! This is why I come to ATS. To remind me why life is so good, despite so much daily evidence to the contrary. Right on. I'll be keepin my eye on this discovery, hopefully for many years to come!
edit on 8/12/2013 by TheAnarchist because: ~

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Klassified
True enough.
Homer was also prone to writing fiction. Yet we found out that the city of Troy was not a myth as once believed. Who knows if Atlantis is anything more than a myth itself. But the possibility is always there that it wasn't.

Oh I agree there is a chance that Atlantis or (more likely) something resembling Atlantis exists. It's only in the last century I guess that we've had the ability to even investigate these claims. As I said though, the two claims are quite a distance apart ...

Troy is confirmed by references in both Egyptian and Hittite sources, and several figures close to the time never doubted its existence where as Atlantis always seems to have had its detractors. Ironically, I think ancient cities that actually existed were at the centre of more myths and stories than ones that didn't. It makes sense when you think about it: New York is far more in use than say Middle Earth despite the popularity of Middle Earth as a location in fiction! So even the mythology surrounding Troy actually appears to go against Atlantis as an actual location. There are also piles of niggling things, such as Plato's characters insisting that the story of Atlantis is true ... historians rarely say 'everything I'm about to tell you is true' because they don't have to.

The one thing Atlantis maybe has going for it is the length of time involved. It's not impossible that it existed somewhere between 9000 and 1500BCE. It's not even impossible that they had exotic metal alloys and developed tools and better sailing thousands of years earlier than other civilizations. It's not even impossible that the Atlanteans extended as far as Europe with their military.

All of it put together is just really unlikely, and if any of it is based on truth I imagine it would be much like early Jewish history and the 'actual' Atlantis would be nothing as described.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by six67seven

Would you like a cookie? Who cares. I just saw it now so your previous post is moot.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by westo

There are a few great ones around about Alexandria and other such wonderful finds (also some incredibly awful ones)

www.youtube.com...

That one has bits about Alexandria, amongst other things.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Pinke

Well said.

I've long had the suspicion, there was once a civilization on earth that was like the fabled Atlantis. One that came along at the right time and place. One that was ahead of every other on the planet at the time, and might very well be responsible for the myths and legends we have today in many cultures. Atlantis and Lemuria being among them. It's for that reason I see Atlantis as more of an idea than a place.

That's not to say it didn't exist, not at all, but in my mind the word Atlantis defines a memory that has been passed down through humans for many generations. A memory of a people that were legendary, and known over the whole earth. A memory so ancient we've forgotten any real particulars about them, but bits and pieces of their story permeate our history, writings, and even our modern civilization.

I also suspect we will probably find the ruins and remnants of them some time in the future. They are the missing pieces of the puzzle, if I'm right.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   

I still dont get how its gonna change history forever....

my understanding is that it was discovered and identified back in 2000/2001

why is it only being talked about now?

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Wow, nice find. There's so much missing from ancient cultures, I think a lot of artifacts from history have been locked up in the Vatican or Smithsonian, et al. I love new finds!

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by combatmaster

They only started physically excavating the site this year. Prior to this, it was mostly surveying. Now they've got pretty things that earn them a bunch of money

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by combatmaster

That is what I think everyone is missing. I even remember reading something about this in the middle 00s.... but am not sure where. If anything this is a good experiment to look at peoples reaction to something being repackaged... whilst people keep pointing this fact out on every other page in the thread.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by windslayer

....and I am not sure how true that even is.... I seem to remember the pics that accompanied the story from years back as well.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
This is a wonderful find! I wonder what else they'll uncover. News like this always excites me

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join