It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Ancient City Is Discovered Underwater. What They Found Will Change History Forever

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   

the2ofusr1
reply to post by Revolution9

Hey thanks for that info ...Can you imagine a # 8 earthquake wow ...I though I read in one of the previous links that there were eye witness accounts of the sea going dry and then the wave hit ...

Yes, I read of that. Exactly the same stories as we've heard in recent times. Some things don't change, particularly when nature's destructive powers are unleashed; there's nothing any human can do today to stop it, as Fukushima has proved.

I hope they make sure they get their history degrees before they make decisions like where to site nuclear reactors

If that Smithsonian Professor is right this city met its end because of bad planning. Yet if we are to accept his hypothesis (and that's all it still is) that means it must have survived the tsunami that struck before the time frame he gives to its destruction by sinking due to sediment. Hmmm, I see a hole in that!

The enigma that points to his theory being true is the dating of the coins. Has he misdated the coins? Could it be that it was destroyed earlier by the tsunami powered by the 365AD Crete Earthquake?

They discovered it by accident, looking for the wrecks of Napoleon's boats that Nelson sank in the Nile Delta during a sea battle. Could these coins be related to another era; ship wrecks, etc?

I have read the accounts of the tsunami that DID destroy many places on the Egyptian coast. It went a huge distance inland and carried many ships literally miles inland. Must have been one huge shift in the plate. Yet somehow our sunken city went to its destruction some time later. Gold coins have been found there dating to as late as the 7th or 8th century AD! I know humans well enough to think that unless they left in a hurry they would not be leaving gold behind.

Never any simple answers to anything is there!

edit on 6-12-2013 by Revolution9 because: typos, etc.

edit on 6-12-2013 by Revolution9 because: typo.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
"Oh! come on. its just rocks!"
I expect that from the mars rover watchers.

I hope we do find out more.
before the goverment get to it...

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

jaffo
But but but...I thought there was a "conspiracy of knowledge" afoot?! I mean, if THEY are "hiding the truth about ancient Egypt from us" then why would this EVER have been brought to our attention? Gee, maybe because there is no conspiracy and as scientists and archaeologists find new things, they adjust their understanding accordingly? Yes, I lol'd...

I suppose hauling up giant statues might have been a little hard to hide. When an inscription is found which changes our understanding of what is true, it takes 10 years for them to tell us...why is that.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by geo1066

I'll say, I understand your feelings.

When I looked at some of the included pictures on this thread's 1st page (several posts above your 1st page post), I had a strong feeling that the items appeared to be 'staged'. The obviously Egyptian statue, with it's head and shoulders visible on the sea floor, seemed to be in an unexpected position. I am absolutely no expert, I'm not even an amateur on the issue, it's just the first impression I felt.

The large stone cartouche(?), with the hieroglyphic symbols and apparent Egyptian images, looks to be in a position that doesn't seem particularly hidden. I was/am under the assumption that an object that has been underwater for 1,500+ years would have a significantly larger amount of common salt-water sediments deposited on and around it.

I saw the large stone cartouche(?) being hoisted above the water's surface. It appeared to be in immaculate condition, especially when compared to other antiquated underwater finds. That large carved stone has to be one of the finest information containing artifacts ever discovered and, in relation to other similar discoveries, that alone should incite a much more intense review centered around the veracity of the discovery claims.

Since I'm so green in relation to the specific topic and antiquated underwater artifacts in general, I thought my impression of the images and objects was just way off. Then I saw the 'Aladdin Lamp'.

Are they just calling this the Aladdin lamp for impact effect, or are they saying this is 'the' actual lamp?

Regardless of whether they are using it as a purely descriptive name or if they are claiming it to be the exact lamp, the way it is presented in the image seems to be very unlikely. It seems like it is staged, something like you may see in a movie.

I am going to trust that this is real, at-least until I learn otherwise. Climbing on-board the discoveries authenticity, this has to be one of the most incredible discoveries I've ever heard of.

Those who discovered this site must be some of the luckiest people ever! It's almost like this site chose them to discover it.

The images show that the water is not too deep for scuba dives and the way the objects are in plain view - with little to no camouflage - it's not like it would be virtually invisible to an amateur diver, or even a tourist diver. Judging by the clarity of water and the apparent depth of the find, I could imagine that even a snorkel diver could have spotted the items - especially since most all divers are focused on seeing things on the ocean/sea floor.

(Before I get slapped by someone saying, "The 'Aladdin Lamp' is just a reference to the lamp style from the Disney Cartoon", let me just add this one thing;

The story of Aladdin is an old Arabic story, with unknown origins. Its first appearance in print was in The Book of One Thousand and One Nights - a compendium of Arabic, Persian and Indian myths and legends, and the same book that gave us Ali Baba and Sinbad. The name 'Aladdin' is actually 'Ala ad-Din', and the story probably came from Syria.

The version of Aladdin that was written down in 1709 is largely the one that we know today, although there are a few key differences.
)

I know it sounds like I don't trust the authenticity of the find, but I do, until there is confirmable reason for dis-trust. I just feel like, based on what's shown in the images and the OP's article, this has to be one of the most incredible and pristine above or below water ancient civilization site discoveries in history.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Little late to the party, aren't we?

I posted this back in April

www.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Fantastic find. Thank you for posting this. But how exactly is this going to change history?

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

six67seven
Little late to the party, aren't we?

I posted this back in April

www.abovetopsecret.com

He already said that he searched for it and didn't see it before he posted it. the search function leaves a lot to be desired.

This happens a lot on ATS. It is a busy site. People miss stuff.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Just letting the dude know, since he said "not sure if this has been posted yet."

Now he can be sure. I'm all for refresher courses.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Hmm,

Really nice find...

Wonder what they will find next that is not supposed to exist ?

The Ark of the Covenant ?

Ooooh that would be sweet....

I just lurve Archaeology.

Don't you ?

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

six67seven
reply to post by nixie_nox

Just letting the dude know, since he said "not sure if this has been posted yet."

Now he can be sure. I'm all for refresher courses.

Well done you for finding it back then in April.

It's sad that it got forgotten, but I am glad this thread is here because I missed your thread. I had quite a think about this.

Well I congratulate you both on fine threads. I flagged and starred your thread, too!

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   

whatnext21
I would love to see a map of where this was discovered. I think the question is, whatText caused this to go to the bottom of the sea.

I don't think that's the case, I think it's more likely the Catholic church had the articles dumped there...

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Something just seems off with this story. Sorry guys the conspiracy theories have taken over every thing now days. Ok so here it is. First a picture with its caption at the bottom.

images.latinospost.com...

The caption at the bottom.

French Marine archaeologist Frank Goddio explains text on the stele of Heracleion on a barge in an Alexandria naval base June 7, 2001. Statues, sunken ships, gold coins and jewelry are among the submerged treasures that Goddio has uncovered in the ancient submerged city of Heracleion off the coast of Alexandria.

The article it came from.

www.latinospost.com...

So "Alexandria naval base June 7, 2001"?

www.transcom.mil...

NAPLES, Italy (USTCNS) --- Military Sealift Command's ocean-going tug and salvage ship USNS Mohawk-along with divers from Mobile Diving and Salvage Unit Two-completed a dive exercise off Bulgaria Navy in June.

The exercise took place off the port city of Varna, May 30 to June 7, and included cross training in diving and salvage, diving capabilities, diving medicine, and emergency procedures.

U.S. Ambassador to Bulgaria Dick Miles, who recognized the ship and crewmembers in a personal message to Vice Adm. Greg Johnson, commander of the U.S. Navy's Sixth Fleet, praised the ship and its embarked divers for a job well done

It was a busy month for Mohawk, as the ship also completed a dive exercise off Alexandria, Egypt, June 20-21. (FROM MILITARY SEALIFT COMMAND - EUROPE PUBLIC AFFAIRS).

So is this some sort of propaganda? Why wait 12 years to have the photos and videos go on the internet? Why did it line up with the dates the US military was doing training exercises all over in the same place? Why were the artifacts taken to a Naval Yard to be photographed?
edit on 6-12-2013 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I may just be completely out of touch with how erosion works, but I would think those artifacts would be heavily eroded or is there not enough movement at that depth? I honestly have no clue, it's just a question that came to mind.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
yes i saw this images years ago... wts going on ?

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Revolution9
reply to post by CosmicDude

Just some more enlightenment on the geological side of the mystery. It is still being discussed and analysed. Here is an interesting article on Geotimes;

Geotimes

"The epicenter of the quake that caused the tsunami is still uncertain. Stanley, who will give a presentation at the AGU meeting, believes the earthquake formed on the opposite seashore, closer to Turkey or Crete, with the wave traveling 800 kilometers across the Mediterranean. He questions the idea that such an earthquake caused the subsidence of the ancient cities in the Bay of Aboukir".

It sounds similar to the east coast of Japan in some ways. There was a huge earthquake underwater very close to Crete. There are some first hand accounts by eyewitnesses of the 365 AD doom that happened on many shores of The Mediterranean. Fascinating reading.

Also in this article we discover that;

"Gold Islamic and Byzantine coins found in the bay point to the legendary cities surviving past the seventh and into the eighth century. Using the Egyptian and Arabic measurements of the height of the Nile River, Stanley zeroed in on A.D. 741-742 as a time of flooding when “something failed.” "

and;

"Although he has not dismissed an earthquake as the cause, he argues that the Canopic branch of the Nile River was switching back and forth during that time. Flooding in the delta could have just as easily caused the slumping failure of the land with the sediments becoming heavily water-laden and physically unstable, he says. “They really didn’t have much of a foundation. It was an accident waiting to happen.”"

artcicle by Christina Reed on Daniel Stanley's observations.

edit on 6-12-2013 by Revolution9 because: punctuation.

edit on 6-12-2013 by Revolution9 because: typo.

Thanks for this info
...I haven`t mentioned it on ATS yet but I`m a geologist although not working as one at the moment, so I value all kind of geological information

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by six67seven

I did try to use search forum feature but it wasn`t and still isn`t working for me. Not sure why !? ... So, as you say this is now a refresh.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

There is a lamp but when I cal it Alladin`s Lamp, is just me joking. Sorry for the confusion.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Farage is full of rubbish. His party's policies are a lot like the BNP. He does not pay his tax as he has a small family fortune (talking millions) tied up in all sorts of tricks and he clearly has nothing but contempt for the working class, as he seems to think posing with a pint and a fag will trick us into think he's "one of us". Disgusting little man. He's a country toff posing as a local lad.

edit on 6-12-2013 by Scope and a Beam because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Scope and a Beam

Farage is full of rubbish. His party's policies are a lot like the BNP. He does not pay his tax as he has a small family fortune (talking millions) tied up in all sorts of tricks and he clearly has nothing but contempt for the working class, as he seems to think posing with a pint and a fag will trick us into think he's "one of us". Disgusting little man. He's a country toff posing as a local lad.

edit on 6-12-2013 by Scope and a Beam because: (no reason given)

What the hell does this have to do with underwater cities? I guess I missed something somewhere??

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
What's strange for a city supposedly killed by Earth Quakes is the amount of metal left behind. Easily transportable metal objects are everywhere (including it seems Gold!!!). This city obviously sunk by some kind of earth quake or else it would not be under water today. However: Was some kind of dangerous gas released, as it sank, that killed the inhabitants? Or did disease go crazy during the sinking period, and therefore frighten people away from collecting the brass-gold left behind?

Either way: (as is often with Egypt's history) we're not being told something (your guess is as good as mine on whether that's down to ignorance, or the protection of old outdated theories, or some grander conspiracy).

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join