It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Ancient City Is Discovered Underwater. What They Found Will Change History Forever

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I am trying to find out how deep the water is. Amazing find and sure does lead credence to Atlantis being real as Heracleion sank due to a cataclysm not unlike that infamous city...

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Check also this news source: www.telegraph.co.uk...

For centuries it was thought to be a legend, a city of extraordinary wealth mentioned by Herodotus, visited by Helen of Troy and Paris, her lover, but apparently buried under the sea.

The city, also called Thonis, disappeared beneath the Mediterranean around 1,200 years ago and was found during a survey of the Egyptian shore at the beginning of the last decade.

Now its life at the heart of trade routes in classical times are becoming clear, with researchers forming the view that the city was the main customs hub through which all trade from Greece and elsewhere in the Mediterranean entered Egypt.

So this is in the Mediterranean entered Egypt.

They have discovered the remains of more than 64 ships buried in the thick clay and sand that now covers the sea bed. Gold coins and weights made from bronze and stone have also been found, hinting at the trade that went on.

Giant 16 foot statues have been uncovered and brought to the surface while archaeologists have found hundreds of smaller statues of minor gods on the sea floor.
....WOW, just WOW !!!

“The site has amazing preservation

Submerged under 150 feet of water, the site sits in what is now the Bay of Aboukir. In the 8th Century BC, when the city is thought to have been built, it would have sat at the mouth of the River Nile delta as it opened up into the Mediterranean.

Scientists still have little idea what caused the city to slip into the water nearly 1,000 years later, but it is thought that gradual sea level rise combined with a sudden collapse of the unstable sediment the city was built on caused the area to drop by around 12 feet.

Everything is well explained here.

edit on 6-12-2013 by CosmicDude because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by westo

along with one of the Seven Wonders of the World, the Pharos, the 440-foot-high lighthouse that guided ships safely into the Great Harbour for nearly two millennia.

What a spectacular find.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Excellent information. I hadn't seen these pictures before but have heard a little about the discovery.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
This is beyond cool.... I can't wait to see all the artifacts they find!

S&F

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Incredible I cant wait to see what else is uncovered there

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Rosinitiate
Can someone on here translate what it says?

It is an ancient fast food menu

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

The first picture looks like the stone has not aged a bit bing underwater for so long, but it is trully a good find OP.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Klassified
reply to post by geo1066

Check out Westo's links above. The Smithsonian has a piece written on it.

Thanks 'Klassified'. With the negative attitude I had earlier on this find, you got that cleared up for me.

-geo

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Coolest thing is this is a city it was thought to be a legend, so, it`s just a matter of time they find other legendary cities, like.....Atlantis for example

...And if it`s also under clay sediments can be well conserved as well

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Obviously natural formations.

Like the "natural" foundations and steps off Japan. I'll bet egyptologists are so pissed right now. (If you don't know, they HATE new discoveries)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
It truly is astonishing that a whole city can crumble and fall into the sea and become so well preserved at least what in my opinion is important historical and cultural artifacts. When I think cataclysm that throws or forces a city to sink I think total obliteration, obviously this is not the case. It would be interesting to see of course outside of the artifacts found if they can piece together how this calamity happened and make a digital remake of how this event may have happened. This would be great because it would help us look for similar patterns off of coastlines around water ways in the ancient world.

RE: TRUTHSEEKERMIKE

Yeah I bet they are pretty livid or at least Hawass I wonder how long its going to take to make these artifacts go to Egypt so they can be misinterpreted or just buried
edit on 6-12-2013 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
This is amazing thank you for your find and your post i hope this thread stays updated as more light is shed on the history of these Ruins.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   

geo1066

Klassified
reply to post by geo1066

Check out Westo's links above. The Smithsonian has a piece written on it.

Thanks 'Klassified'. With the negative attitude I had earlier on this find, you got that cleared up for me.

-geo

It's understandable. Some things are too good to be true. Like flying saucers at the bottom of the Baltic Sea. lol.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Change history forever. That's an interesting concept.

It seems like it should be impossible to change history, but it's a known that history is probably inaccurate enough that we might be well served to disregard it.

There's a theory that sometime between 11 and 1500 years ago, someone effed up history so badly for their own selfish purposes that we may actually be living in the early 1800's right now. It might not actually be 2013.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   

xcarnagex
This is amazing thank you for your find and your post i hope this thread stays updated as more light is shed on the history of these Ruins.

WOW maybe these were the more intellegent Egyptians.
No Pyramid ?
More intellegent because of the fact that they didn't use Huge Rocks
that would be almost impossible to move to assemble a Pyramid.
or Maybe the egyptians with the Pyramids were just SQUATTERS.
That moved in and took over the land that someone else had already
established.

Who Knows

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Mon1k3r
Change history forever. That's an interesting concept.

It seems like it should be impossible to change history, but it's a known that history is probably inaccurate enough that we might be well served to disregard it.

There's a theory that sometime between 11 and 1500 years ago, someone effed up history so badly for their own selfish purposes that we may actually be living in the early 1800's right now. It might not actually be 2013.

Are you talking about Anatoly Fomenko's theory?

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by CosmicDude

Great! Thanks for letting us know about this.

I just wanted to add that it appears they have found quite an amount of gold coinage. If there are a lot of treasures there then I think it is more than likely that it was quite a sudden event because the dwellers would have taken these if they had time to escape. I wonder if they found remains of the city dwellers themselves? That would be the obvious clue. It was not that long ago, being only 1800 odd years ago that it sunk.

Something tells me there is more to it than just a gradual sinking with rising sea levels. It had only been built a thousand years before it sank, a new town in Egypt's long antiquity(like Milton Keynes in UK haha). Would they have built it just a thousand years before it sunk in such a high risk area?

edit on 6-12-2013 by Revolution9 because: typo.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by CosmicDude

Here the team retrieves the statue of the god Hapi

The god Hapi is smiling, I wonder if we got the word Happy from this God's name and worship, so much of what we say and are today comes from this ancient history, it is very important to learn of our mysterious past as it will tell us a lot about who we are today.
What myths will turn out to be real, I wish information was released to us when they get it but they hold on to the secrecy for decades.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

edit on 6-12-2013 by unexxed because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join