It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Say Hello to the RQ-180

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: darksidius

Looks similar to Northrop's design if it was a subscale demonstrator. I don't think I would park something like that there though...
edit on 23-2-2016 by Bfirez because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Am I wrong to say that thanks to all the cool new rapid-prototyping toys that the big three are playing with, there are just that many more (some)things that we don't know about?

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

So many more. Many will never go anywhere and only fly as models or demonstrators, some will become other things, others will grow up into full fledged systems.
edit on 2/23/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   
More chatter about Edwards South Base, on another ATS thread:

ATS: Edwards South Base

A link from same forum, courtesy of gariac:

Data.gov: Test Support Facility (South Base)
edit on 24-2-2016 by TAGBOARD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: TAGBOARD

Pretty sure this is in prep for the LRSB's arrival and testing phase.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

My current estimate is that if there's currently significant activity at Edwards AFB south complex, it's primarily to support something that's not LRS-B, but perhaps for another portion of the LRS FoS.

Northrop just won the contract - not sure there's much to house at a flight ops facility, except a demonstrator (or two such as LoBo's). F-22 (ATF) and F-35 (JSF) took years to stand up CTFs.

So, my guess is it's something else.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 09:07 AM
link   

possibly.

there is also a lot more going on at edwards south than just prepping for the lrsb these days.

as of lately I've been seeing something noteworthy flying overhead coming from Edwards and heading out over the pacific on the average of once a month. usually very early in the morning. each time, except for one where ive seen the same vehicle(s) on two recent occasiones, it's been something different and noteworthy each time.

so there are a few interesting things flying out of south base in the last few months. more than just the lrsb.

I can say that one is very pretty and bad ass looking, bigger than I initially thought. the other may have something to do with something mentioned in the shield thread that's probably a lot farther along than thought. to be honest I think over the last few years edwards has been sitting on more than a few well kept (justifiably) secrets.

if you live near los angeles, look up and have some scrutinizing eyes. you never know what you could see next.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Dear Santa, please get Bass a decent camera so us poor souls over the other side of pond can see some juicy stuff !!
P.S If it is flying over your house then they are not that bothered about it being top secret anymore

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: nelloh62

I would say they mind. which is why I don't post about the recent things seen flying out of there much anymore.

the pretty one however, i personally feel another member saw a year ago flying around the same time and conditions, but elsewhere than los angeles. So who knows on that one.

as for me, I'm a retard when it comes to cameras. (thumbs usually in the way in half my shots, things like that) I wouldn't photograph or video the things even if I could. unless ....someone gives me a phone call, and says, "no really we wouldn't mind. it's cool, we wanna make putin mess his pants, so heres what were going to do. were going to fly it over your house tomorrow...." I'm thinking it's not a noble nor wise thing to do.

... or I could just be too lazy.

my interest have always been in the science and technology behind the aircraft, and im quickly growing out of even that

But to be honest its never been my interest to sneak photos of the technological advantages my nation may have onto a public forum. its the least i can do considering my past over enthusiasm with posts on this topic that have put me in an awkward social standing on ats with the aviation forum and probably elsewhere.

edit on 25-2-2016 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   

You may be right, but this was my understanding: Northrop is ramping up to start building the bombers at Palm, the testing program performed at S. base since the bomber will most likely have to be at a facility (Edwards in general) that can handle a testing program of that size. S. base is the most secure facility in the Edwards complex and makes sense for the early development of the bomber. Once the initial development, proof of concepts and testing phases are done then move the program to other parts of Edwards for maturing the platform and building them in mass on its way to IOC.
edit on 25-2-2016 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   
My apologies, good sir. I never meant to put you in an awkward scenario. I, for one, have always enjoyed your posts, and long may you stay around on this forum.

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
a reply to: nelloh62

I would say they mind. which is why I don't post about the recent things seen flying out of there much anymore.

the pretty one however, i personally feel another member saw a year ago flying around the same time and conditions, but elsewhere than los angeles. So who knows on that one.

as for me, I'm a retard when it comes to cameras. (thumbs usually in the way in half my shots, things like that) I wouldn't photograph or video the things even if I could. unless ....someone gives me a phone call, and says, "no really we wouldn't mind. it's cool, we wanna make putin mess his pants, so heres what were going to do. were going to fly it over your house tomorrow...." I'm thinking it's not a noble nor wise thing to do.

... or I could just be too lazy.

my interest have always been in the science and technology behind the aircraft, and im quickly growing out of even that

But to be honest its never been my interest to sneak photos of the technological advantages my nation may have onto a public forum. its the least i can do considering my past over enthusiasm with posts on this topic that have put me in an awkward social standing on ats with the aviation forum and probably elsewhere.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   

I agree with your assessment, my only difference in point is that the facility, which is apparently slated for LRS-B (not a far stretch since B-2 was operated there during early phases), may not be ramping up just yet for an LRS-B EMD program. So, with activity happening seemingly too soon, perhaps it is for some other activity in the mean time.
edit on 25-2-2016 by TAGBOARD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   

They were supposed to have been flying last year. If they had stayed on schedule, the EMD aircraft would have been in the air by last summer, and out in the open by fall.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 02:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Did the Northrop birds supposed white knuckle landing hurt the timetable, or more so budget related?

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Bfirez

Mid term elections, other issues mostly.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Perhaps an overnight arrival of a (former) black program, at Edwards AFB starting March 16?

Dreamland Resort: Edwards South Base
edit on 7-3-2016 by TAGBOARD because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Sorry for resurrecting the dead...Interesting the Edwards callsign is same as the Project name for the CBAR..
Came across this old link (and good writeup) about the position of the Rq-180..
Rq180
Im thinking shes filling the F117 shoes now..Although will she keep up with the Avionics in the F35 or did one come from the other?

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

Umm. Lockheed wasn't silent. The writer seems to have forgotten the P-175 Polecat:

en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

And the author is describing pretty much what Kratos is being paid to develop...

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join