It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12-4-13 Congressional Panel On Extraterrestrial Life, House Space Committeey

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
So the House panel did a 90 minute hearing on the search for "biosignatures" so-called exobiology in the universe and beyond. The speakers suggested that within 10 years or in that range we are on the verge of making this discovery of life in the universe.

This was actually a pretty interesting watch. I like the idea of the star shade technology.

Your thoughts.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   

CigaretteMan
So the House panel did a 90 minute hearing on the search for "biosignatures" so-called exobiology in the universe and beyond. The speakers suggested that within 10 years or in that range we are on the verge of making this discovery of life in the universe.

This was actually a pretty interesting watch. I like the idea of the star shade technology.

Your thoughts.

Yes, I knew this was coming up and it was some of the basis for the "What If" scenario I posted on this forum:

Astronomers Detect First 'Clear Signs of Civilization' Beyond Earth - How will you react?

Because we're not too far off. If you recall, my story takes place in 2019. This is due to several big instruments going online in the years before and after then. Both on the ground and in space.

If any nearby civilizations exist we should know very soon. Certainly within most of our lifetimes if we're under the age of say 65-70.

In academic circles it's pretty much accepted that life is likely to be ubiquitous in the galaxy and universe.

The question of whether we are alone is one mostly for the average person today, many in the sciences pretty much suspect our galaxy is populated by other civilizations. It's just a question of how densely populated it is and what the distribution of them might be in our neck of the woods

That's one reason I chose my major. Beyond that I'm interested in people.

One of my areas of interest is the societal reaction to such a discovery. It's one of the reasons I hang out on this forum to be honest. I'm curious as to all of the ideas about aliens that people who frequent a conspiracy forum might have.

Also, this is not the first time this year that the House touched on the subject. On May 9, 2013, the House subcommittees on Space and Research held a joint hearing titled, "Exoplanet Discoveries: Have We Found Other Earths?" which you can see below:

edit on 6-12-2013 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 03:47 AM
link   

JadeStar

CigaretteMan

Your thoughts.

Yes, I knew this was coming up and it was some of the basis for the "What If" scenario I posted on this forum:

Astronomers Detect First 'Clear Signs of Civilization' Beyond Earth - How will you react?

Because we're not too far off. If you recall, my story takes place in 2019. This is due to several big instruments going online in the years before and after then. Both on the ground and in space.

If any nearby civilizations exist we should know very soon. Certainly within most of our lifetimes if we're under the age of say 65-70.

In academic circles it's pretty much accepted that life is likely to be ubiquitous in the galaxy and universe.

The question of whether we are alone is one mostly for the average person today, many in the sciences pretty much suspect our galaxy is populated by other civilizations. It's just a question of how densely populated it is and what the distribution of them might be in our neck of the woods

That's one reason I chose my major. Beyond that I'm interested in people.

One of my areas of interest is the societal reaction to such a discovery. It's one of the reasons I hang out on this forum to be honest. I'm curious as to all of the ideas about aliens that people who frequent a conspiracy forum might have.

Also, this is not the first time this year that the House touched on the subject. On May 9, 2013, the House subcommittees on Space and Research held a joint hearing titled, "Exoplanet Discoveries: Have We Found Other Earths?" which you can see below:

Any chancw of a megastructure search with the James Webb?
edit: Actually, if there is anything to Persinger's space-time distortion stuff, the Jupiter-Io flux tube would be interesting to watch. Oddly enough, Juno seems to be carrying a bunch of the sensors used in Bigelow's wormhole detecting field stations. O_o
edit on 12013f3104America/Chicago9 by 1ofthe9 because: (no reason given)

new topics

join