It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sun-summer begins. Enjoy it 'cause the Sun-winter is near and it's going to suck

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   

ketsuko
reply to post by tgidkp

. They look dark because they are incredibly hot.

Wrong. Sunspots are cooler by a large margin than the rest of the surrounding surface area.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
i will have drunk myself to death by then and will be burning in the fires of hell so have fun kids and remember if it's cold tuck your shirt over it

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   

geobro
i will have drunk myself to death by then and will be burning in the fires of hell so have fun kids and remember if it's cold tuck your shirt over it

HAHAHAHAHAHA and don't forget the string vest.

Love the snow and ice, and will happily swap it all for an igloo.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Astr0

Eh, my bad. You're right. They're special because of their increased magnetic activity and that they spit out the CMEs.

Try to learn a little about everything so you can try to follow what's going on everywhere, and you're bound to make mistakes. Thanks for catching that.

Life would be so much simpler if I just tuned out and watched the Kardashians all day.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

ketsuko
reply to post by Astr0

Eh, my bad. You're right. They're special because of their increased magnetic activity and that they spit out the CMEs.

Try to learn a little about everything so you can try to follow what's going on everywhere, and you're bound to make mistakes. Thanks for catching that.

Life would be so much simpler if I just tuned out and watched the Kardashians all day.

No man is an island, and some times the tide catches even the best of us unawares.

As for tuning out and watch television? the horrors man. Resist it at al costs.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Sunspots look cooler in visible spectrum but if you look at it in UV/IR you'll see it glowing.
Also the CME depends on it.
Here's a couple of links to read about it:
www.crh.noaa.gov...
wattsupwiththat.com... e-and-the-global-temperature-change-anomaly/

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   

PapagiorgioCZ
Sunspots look cooler in visible spectrum but if you look at it in UV/IR you'll see it glowing.
Also the CME depends on it.
Here's a couple of links to read about it:
www.crh.noaa.gov...
wattsupwiththat.com... e-and-the-global-temperature-change-anomaly/

No, sunspots ARE cooler than the surrounds - that's proven absolute. That they emit a differing type of radiation to a greater extent to their surroundings is another matter altogether. Cooler they are always will be.

Great thread though, and i'd LOVE to know the sunspot and pole activity for winter 2008 and 2009 as they were absolute Baltic freezing for us here in the UK.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Right. This seems to explain it:

The bright regions on the Sun that surround sunspots are called faculae. Although sunspots reduce the amount of energy radiated from the Sun, the faculae associated with them increase the radiated energy even more, so that overall, the total amount of energy emitted by the Sun increases during periods of high sunspot activity.

more

I think that decrease in solar magnetism itself can in some way cool down our planet (or it's core). How?
If the moving magnetic field cuts a stationery conductor like a block of aluminium there will be eddy currents in the block and this will generate heat in the block. And the Earth has iron core.

BTW we have M-class flare and geomagnetic STORM now.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   

eriktheawful

PapagiorgioCZ
Not a doomsday but it won't be nice when it slowly hits the fan with all other stuff on the edge right?

But that's just it: an Ice Age doesn't happen in a blink of an eye.

It's not the same as a large asteroid unspotted suddenly hitting us. Or a super volcano erupting suddenly with little to no warning. Or a massive earthquake......or a tornado.

If the climate is shifting into a Ice Age, it will take time. Even if it is simply a short 50 year minimum happening, it still takes time to enter that phase.

Time to prepare. Time to move. Time to get ready for it. IF it happens.

It's a slow process, and unlike someone from the 1600's, we'll see it coming much faster. We also have many more resources to call up on than they did, and much more technology to keep warm, safe, and preserve food. We even have the ability to grow things when it get's too cold for food to normally grow.

Worst I can expect? A more temperate climate.......and a end to the damn fire ants! Hooray!

Just my opinion here but,

I think you are being a little too optimistic.

Look at Dallas. One little ice storm and the city shuts down. Power outages across multiple states. This is just from two days of ice and snow.

Look what happened when the link/EBT went down for a day, poor people were flipping out.

Do we really have the resources to feed 350 million people if a super serious winter storm took out most of the grid for an extended time?

Look at Katrina, it took 5 days to chopper in some food and water.

We are not prepared.

By the way. It was 70 degrees 3 days ago. Now it is 19 degrees.

It seems you don't travel just a little north much. Because it sucks outside and there isn't crap growing outside because the ground is covered in 10 inches of snow.

Just saying.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

The real problem would be if there was a shift in growing seasons. For example, the corn crop relies on a narrow range of specific conditions, including soil. How if the climate and seasons were to shift a bit south leaving the optimal soil areas for corn too far north for best corn growth?

Other crops could have similar implications. Certainly the Canadian parts of the grain belt would be severely impacted by shortened growing seasons.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

I agree.

I live in the middle of farm country here.

There is a pretty specific balance of crop rotation and growing seasons.

It wouldnt take long to completely throw the system out of balance.

edit on 7-12-2013 by liejunkie01 because: spelling and grammar

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

Yes, it's most likely because of unusual upper atmosphere shrinkage
Scientists baffled by unusual upper atmosphere shrinkage

It almost looks like there's similar process going on as a creation of coma on comets.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Can anyone explain why there's supposed to be less sunspots etc, whilst solar maximum occures in the moment of a flip when solar magnetism is on it's lowest? With that logic there should be rather constant solar maximum in such cycle.
Do you see?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join