It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious glowing squid like creature in Bristol harbour

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

www.youtube.com...

I don't know if this is bunk or not but it looks interesting. Probably a student hoax but have a look and see what you think.
edit on 5-12-2013 by Horus12 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-12-2013 by Gemwolf because: Fixed video embed

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Horus12

Here's your video,

Most likely a Squid and bacterium in harmony. They can have a blue glow, but the size here is very big, which is unusual as a piece of photography for the colour and size combined.

Here's one example from Japan, the Squid here are tiny 'fireflies' but don't go nuclear yet

edit on 5-12-2013 by smurfy because: Video.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Jellies easily reach this proportion in the big harbour, the size doesn't surprise me...but I have never seen one glowing, now that is cool to see up on the surface.

I have little doubt it's real and explainable, but hey that's just not a common thing to happen on the surface.

Lots of bio luminescence on video's very cool example thank for showing this I appreciate it.

Cheers!

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Can bio-luminescent animals turn on and off like that?

Looks like a prank to me, to be honest, but when it comes to water, stranger things live in there... much stranger than I could imagine.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Possibly. If it is a squid I'd imagine it might work the same as changing colors (basically opening and closing a very small pocket of colored or iluminiscent cells), but I think this "squid" is way too bright.

It is simply amazing what some of those animals can do. Not a squid, but close enough I guess:

www.youtube.com...

edit on 5-12-2013 by Sirrurg because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Treespeaker
Jellies easily reach this proportion in the big harbour, the size doesn't surprise me...but I have never seen one glowing, now that is cool to see up on the surface.

I have little doubt it's real and explainable, but hey that's just not a common thing to happen on the surface.

Lots of bio luminescence on video's very cool example thank for showing this I appreciate it.

Cheers!

Going with Jellyfish, they don't always just float they progress, so you have a point.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

Yes, and I have actually seen the big ones and masses numbering hundreds following the wake of ferries and ships, they seem to be drawn to the turbulence of slow moving vessels...I suppose not unlike a large variety of sea life ; the vibration, droning sound and active "current" mistakenly seems to draw them like an artificial spawning ground or "something".

I found it very interesting to watch the population blooms from year to year, we have one of the deepest harbours on the east coast in Halifax and see all manner of sea life in colder climates.

I have sailed on old sail driven boats to full power and ferries and watched similar things amazing how some life seems to be draw to us and try to communicate with us... I think we fail sometimes to see what monumental effort is exhausted sometimes by the: but just for/by things we do.

I find all manner of life here amazing, and anything folks do to mimic or understand it equally neat and cool. I must be a fossil.

Cheers to ya !

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Sirrurg

Oh I agree with the cuttlefish comparison. You wont find anyone more fascinated than me by these amazing creatures.

makes me sad to see people consider them mere food. they are intelligent and magical.

good point.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Bioluminescent phytoplanton:

glow beach

Maybe that squid just ate a bunch of these...

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

Thanks.. I don't why but I get that error every time I link a youtube video.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Bristol harbour is several miles inland, and is effectively cut off from the tidal River Avon by lock gates which keep the water level constant despite a 30ft tidal range in the nearby creeks. The water is at best slightly brackish and not a likely habitat for squid, cuttlefish or other marine life. About the most exciting thing you'll find in the water in those parts is a supermarket trolley.

I suspect this has student prank written all over it - though it's quite a good one!

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Could be a USO?

Doubt it though.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by SummerLightning

Agree that it looks like prank but last night we just had storms and floods all over the UK, the river Tent even broke down part of its huge banks when it flooded not too far from me. Don't know Bristol at all but would it be possible for a tidal surge to have flooded the gates and the storm to have washed up something that is usually in much deeper water?

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   
You guys should go SCUBA diving at night. You have no idea what you can see ... if you can overcome your fear of dark water. Muahahaha!!

Seriously though ... night dives ... they're unforgettable.

OBTW, Higher Def Video can be found here. It's real. Look to the right side of the lighted portion and you can see the fins moving.
edit on 6122013 by Snarl because: OBTW

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Has now been De-bunked as a stunt by the "Watch" TV channel to publicise the upcoming show "The Happenings"....

That is all...

PA

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Yes they can turn on and off like that! It is truly a beautiful creature. Some people are saying it was dead so I guess that's my question is can they flash like that when dead?

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

VoidWalker

Yes they can turn on and off like that! It is truly a beautiful creature. Some people are saying it was dead so I guess that's my question is can they flash like that when dead?

Has now been De-bunked as a stunt by the "Watch" TV channel to publicise the upcoming show "The Happenings"....

That is all...

PA

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by PerfectAnomoly

That sucks I was so excited about this. Dang it! I love new life forms and what not and now I am let down again. lol

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Horus12

You were right in your OP, hoax

An 'alien' creature filmed swimming in Bristol harbour has been revealed as a hoax by television producers who created it for a new series about illusions.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join