It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Navy Launches UAV from Submerged Submarine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
phys.org...

The U.S. Naval Research Laboratory (NRL) with funding from SwampWorks at the Office of Naval Research (ONR) and the Department of Defense Rapid Reaction Technology Office (DoD/RRTO) demonstrated the launch of an all-electric, fuel cell-powered, unmanned aerial system (UAS) from a submerged submarine. From concept to fleet demonstration, this idea took less than six years to produce results at significant cost savings when compared to traditional programs often taking decades to produce results.

Read more at: phys.org...

Getting closer to expanding the "eyes" of the sub fleet. Very exciting for the Navy.

The XFC (eXperimental Fuel Cell) has scissor-wings. Allowing it to be very compact, fitting into a submarine's torpedo tube. It has six hours endurance.

edit on 5-12-2013 by _Del_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by _Del_

Awesome, it never ceases to amaze me how the military can find new ways to waste taxpayer money!

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jaws1975

I don't know. It looks like a pretty useful tool to me. We probably should have used that money to bail out banks or something...

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by _Del_

How about investing in education, we are 36th in the world in math.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
That thing is messed up look'n......cool but messed up. I wonder how well it flies?

Seven hour electric run time?......that's impressive. I would bet that the fuel cell tech developed for this would be useful for a great number of other projects.

www.nrl.navy.mil...

edit on 5-12-2013 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given) /editby]

edit on 5-12-2013 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jaws1975

I'm all for school vouchers and overhauling the education system, too. But this thread is about how we've spent money making a uav able to be launched from a submersed submarine for the purpose of ISR multiplying the effectiveness of our sub fleet.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   

jaws1975
reply to post by _Del_

How about investing in education, we are 36th in the world in math.

I bet math comes in handy in developing it. That means people learning math will have a job, that means people will learn math so they can be employed.

Investing in our education and you didn't even know it.

new topics

top topics

join