It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rare Blood Disease Strikes Mideast Soldiers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Hmm, Depleted Uranium anyone?

Enjoy the link:
Rare Blood Infection Surfaces in Injured U.S. Soldiers

-ADHDsux4me

mod edit: shortened link with BB code

[edit on 18-11-2004 by Spectre]

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADHDsux4me
Hmm, Depleted Uranium anyone?

What does DU have to do with it? I am very curious to see you expand on that idea now that you have thrown it out there.

A. baumannii has been running around hospitals for a long time, causing pneumonia and other complications. This article seems to be more of an indictment of infection-control procedures in military hospitals than anything else, although the bacteria has actually been shown to have body lice as a vector, too. Unsanitary conditions along the line are the culprit here. The disturbing aspect of this organism is the fact that it is becoming drug resistant.

[edit on 18-11-2004 by Spectre]

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Merely conjecture and conspiracy on my part, just doing my job as a particpant in the forum

-ADHDsux4me

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spectre

What does DU have to do with it? I am very curious to see you expand on that idea now that you have thrown it out there.

...although the bacteria has actually been shown to have body lice as a vector, too. Unsanitary conditions along the line are the culprit here. The disturbing aspect of this organism is the fact that it is becoming drug resistant.

Hey Spectre - need to jump in here. This little bug may be one of the very many that have mutated to break the laws of biology as we know it. ...Even E. coli is now known to be transmitted in the air.

Most modern diseases - "new" diseases and new forms of old diseases - result from mutations triggered by "multifactorial" exposures, meaning several factors actively contribute to the mutation. Radiation is certainly one of the factors, along with heavy metals, chemicals and more.

To say "unsanitary conditions" must be the cause of this mini-epidemic simply scapegoats our military medical services, and does not acknowledge the real (and scary) changes occurring in our planet's microbial world.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Sounds like the beginning of another "Gulf War Syndrome", I feel for the soldiers there now
I'm still trying to fight the VA and the Govt agencies as I wuz there the During the first Gulf War, and I'm sure you have all read the thread that I had contacted cancer for no apparent reason....ie....no family history...under age 50 (34 at the time). What's going on over there? Bring our guys home. Those people have been fighting for thousands of years...let them continue and work out their own problems...there should be no more killing....let it go...

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 03:57 AM
link   
The problem here is the war situation. Soldiers in this environment simply do not have the luxury of just being "off sick" like the rest of us.

The recommended treatment is just to let nature take its course, hardly practical when fighting a war.

Occasional strains are resistant to ALL antibiotics currently available, including second-line aminoglycosides, such as amikacin, and extended spectrum cephalosporins. Recommended therapy is- when possible and prudent- to withhold antibiotics and allow the patient to recover.

There are many factors here. Unsanitary conditions certainly will not help, but then nor will having to carry on fighting, possibly taking unsuitable antibiotics in an effort to fight the disease, but in reality, only helping the organism to build up its drug resistance.

From here Link
Mod Edit: Reduced the size of the link

[edit on 11/19/04 by FredT]

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by iwouldificould

The problem here is the war situation.

Occasional strains are resistant to ALL antibiotics currently available, including second-line aminoglycosides, such as amikacin, and extended spectrum cephalosporins. Recommended therapy is- when possible and prudent- to withhold antibiotics and allow the patient to recover.

There are many factors here. ... having to carry on fighting, possibly taking unsuitable antibiotics in an effort to fight the disease, but in reality, only helping the organism to build up its drug resistance.

Unfortunately - it's not just the war. Microbes are mutating out of control all over the planet now. ...I posted a list of *some* of the bugs with medical references and got my wrist slapped - see under "Why did Kerry concede?"

As far as this "A. baumannii" goes

I

There have also been recent reports of more virulent strains circulating in France.

(From your link above)

...The thing is, each new combination of "factors" creates a new strain. ohjoy.

new topics

top topics

join