It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Amtrak Begins Random ID Checks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Since the start of November, Amtrak conductors have been randomly checking the IDs of travelers in hopes of preventing terrorist attacks on the railway systems. Amtrak says they're not trying to determine a persons identity, but rather making sure that the ticket holder is the person listed on the ticket.

www.cnn.com
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Amtrak conductors have begun random checks of passengers' IDs as a precaution against terrorist attacks.

The onboard checks, which started at the beginning of November, are part of a broader program to improve security, Amtrak spokesman Cliff Black said.

"It is a ticket verification program, which is not intended to determine a person's identity, but to make sure the person who's traveling with the ticket is the person whose name is on the ticket," Black said.

The checks have not resulted in any arrests, he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Amtrak is also requiring all persons buying tickets to show an I.D. as well as tagging all baggage with their home address.

This comes from a federal directive issued in May, to prevent terrorist attacks on the rail systems. Amtrak has been searching baggage and trains randomly since then.

I like the idea, the authorities need to know who is traveling on the rail systems as well as on airlines and buses. Tighter security might mean longer lines and more time, but I'm willing to accept that if it means safer travel.

[edit on 18-11-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Having travelled extensively on Amtrack (particularly the BWI to NYP route), I can safely say that the ID checking has been minimal (I have never been ID, nor have I ever seen anyone else being ID'ed on the rail). While I hope Amtrack is making efforts to tighten security, It is DEFINITELY not there yet.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I have gone clear across the US on Amtrak 3 times, and only once, did a border patrol board the train in El Paso and asked 2 people to see ID's.

With all the stops and people boarding, i dont think they have accomplised a way to check anyone yet.

new topics

join