It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians Beware Of Idols

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by 2WitnessesArrived

Anything can be an idol. Think about it: a cross, a book, a statue, an alter. The designation of a particular thing as an idol is usually from another religion's point of view.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by the2ofusr1

Of course!

Catholics are 1.2 billion strong which makes up the majority of Christians. Ever found a catholic church without a statue of Mary or the crucifix?

Source

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   

3NL1GHT3N3D1

What do most Christians think of when they think of Jesus?

Jesus is on the job... away at work

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by usertwelve

So they may make up the majority but they do not constitute all ..just saying your sourse is wiki which says "It is inevitably partial and generally based on claims by the denominations themselves. The numbers should therefore be considered approximate and taken with a grain of salt." Also add to that the many house churches who don't fall into the umbrella of denominational churches and you may just have to use a whole box of salt ....peace

edit on 5-12-2013 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   

You asked:

So do you have the data that supports the most?

I provided you the data that supports the MOST as you asked.

Then you say:

So they may make up the majority but they do not constitute all

Is this really what you wanted to say based on your original question? You have time to edit I believe.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Religion? Idols? I agree. False GOD get behind me, for my sight is clear.

I hereby invoke the Prince of Darkness,
The great Dragon of the bottomless pit
Who is the Bringer of Light
And Lord of the Earth.

Hear me, o mighty God of Hell!
Come forth from the black Abyss,
Come forth from the ends of the Earth,
Come forth from the night time sky!
Great Tiamat, Apophis, Ahriman, Typhon!
Leviathan, Azazel, Belial, Samael!
Satan, Lucifer, SET!

My Lord and Master, come forth from Hell
And greet me as Your servant and friend.
Join me as I conduct this service in Your honour
Out of love and thankfulness for You.

Amen!

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by usertwelve

It's still hard to say one way or another I guess ...I doesn't matter to me personality .I don't buy into the kingdom cult doctrines and figure that it's The Lord who is the one trying to uphold each believer . He will judge them in the end and know who the true believers are ...

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   

2WitnessesArrived
reply to post by windword

Well brother or sister, Jesus Christ is The Word Of God but yes in the previous post I was referencing The Word Of God to the Bible. But no the Bible is not an idol because it is something that God wants us to read and the bible isn't something carnal that benefits the flesh but it benefits the spirit and is a device to help us grow in the Lord and helps people to build their spiritual foundation which is something beneficial to the Temple Of God which is our bodies.
edit on 5-12-2013 by 2WitnessesArrived because: (no reason given)

God's relationship with everyone is not entirely dependent on the Bible! (relative)

Some sects in Buddhism believe that the Palov Canon itself can not make one achieve enlightenment. The Palov Canon is merely a tool for enlightenment.

That being said, a knife, which is a tool, has the ability to cut food for you... But it also has the ability to cut you.
edit on 5-12-2013 by DelayedChristmas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   

1 Corinthians 3:17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy ; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are .

“The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to DESTROY: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.” John 10:10 (KJV)

Beware the very idols within the Bible claiming to be holy and desiring worship.

“Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them; And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.” Matthew 4: 8-9

...the devil is all about the worship in jealousy at his altar of worldly authority.
edit on 5-12-2013 by PrimeLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I'm really uncertain here. I think the question has been indirectly asked, but not directly answered, "What is an idol?" How can you tell if something's an idol or not.

If it's an object which is worshiped, then I don't think there are many idols, at least not in North America. Even in the example used, the Catholic Church, there are no idols under that definition.

So would someone please clarify this for me?

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   

the2ofusr1

www.youtube.com...

wow! that is weird!

nebuchadnezzar and the forced bowing, and the Babylonian square!

freaky!

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I look at all religion as idolatry...

I think of religion as the girl in single white female who moved in, and tried to pretend to be the other girl and take over her life.

I see religion that way, as the counterfeit, trying to put itself in Gods place.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 04:05 AM
link   
An idol is a "graven"(made into) image. Idolatry is anything that is worship in substitution to God.The bible is an idol to many that believe it is "the word of God". and extrapolate that to the gospel of John 1:1..in the beginning was the "word" and the word was with God and the word "was" God.

John was not writing of the scriptures as "the word",that isn't what John meant at all.God is not words in a book.Yahoshua is the "living word" of God.Yahoshua did not compel anyone (including the disciples) to "study" the scriptures to "know" the creator God.His stance on it is clear. When he told the pharisees ."you search the scripture thinking that IN them you have life yet you fail to come to me whom they are written of that I would save (deliver) you.

The religious Jews clearly worshipped a false idol believing the Torah(and the Talmud and, and...) was the "word of God" yet very few of them ever "heard" from the creator God.Yahoshua said "hearing"(not physical ears) is the only way to "know" the fathers will ...not studying scripture.

Yahoshua asked the disciples "who do the people say I am" they said John the baptist or a prophet ..then he said who do "you" say I am.Peter said you are the christ (the anointed one) the Son of God.Yahoshua said blessed are you Simon because flesh and blood (nor the scriptures) DID NOT reveal it to you but my Father who is in the heavens (your heavens)....then he said what has been twisted into the foundation of Christianity..

...And I say also to you, That you are Peter, and upon this rock [revelation from the Father] I will build my church; and the gates of hades shall not prevail against it.

He wasn't' saying "Peter" was the "head rock"(Simon means little stone) of the church (he definitely wasn't in his time because there was no "church" as we know today). Church means ecclesia ..the called out ones.The rock that the "called out ones" are "built on is revelation...hearing from the Father.He was expounding on Matthew7 about a house built on rock.It was a metaphor of salvation is a continual process where man "hears" (communes) with the creator God.

When he said the gates(what something is entered through) of hades will not stand against it he was saying "death" does not "end" the process of salvation.Hades(poorly translated as hell) means the grave, the realm of the dead, the realm of imperception.

This scripture is the foundation for the Christian religion all built on a false premise and in effect and irony of what Yahoshua said.The "church of Christianity" didn't "hear" revelation from the father as Peter did or they would not have formed a religion called Christianity.Yahoshua never said to do that yet from a few verses a religion was born....that is idolatry.

Idolatry isn't about graven images of Jesus on a cross or religious iconography..it is false worship of God.Christianity is an idolatrous religion.They do not believe in the creator God..they believe in Christianity.The God of Christianity is a false idol made up by the traditions of men just as Judaism is. Unfortunately no one who believes in Christianity (or any religion -religion) know they believe in a false God.This is the main symptom of idolatry.Their God is the only God and they are the only ones that worship the True God.

It is the nature of man to worship "a" God falsely. All of mankind was born religious.They believe in "My God"..which is themselves. A new born baby worships only one thing... themselves.Their whole world revolves around them...idolatry..believing in a false God.Some things change very little.

edit on 6-12-2013 by Rex282 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SisyphusRide

What I find peculiar in todays world is how the black cube shows up in the video games the kids are playing . I was a bit suprised to see that number square in the video as well .I had first seen it a year ago on a thread but it didn't have the designation it got in the vid ,but the 666 was interesting .....peace

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Aliensun

Anything can be an idol. Think about it: a cross, a book, a statue, an alter. The designation of a particular thing as an idol is usually from another religion's point of view.

or Lady Gaga or ones self... atheism has the "ones self" issue

we're working on it, patience is a virtue.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Rex282

I agree with everything you said, except for this part.

A new born baby worships only one thing... themselves.Their whole world revolves around them...idolatry..believing in a false God.Some things change very little.

A baby doesn't know any better, it is not doing something evil by believing it is the center of the universe, it is only going off of what it sees and experiences. If you think about it, we are all the center of the universe from our own perspectives, everything does revolve around us because we are stuck within our own perspective of the image we see.

Babies and children understand the image (Son) that they see, adults do not because the world has polluted their souls. This is why James says not to be polluted by the world, you should stay innocent like a child, which is why Jesus says we must become like little children, we must think as they do.

Knowing yourself is where the answer is. Once you know yourself, you know God and that God is in everyone else as well. This was what Jesus meant by the kingdom being in our midst, we are the Son (image) of God because we have the image that we see, the light of vision.
edit on 6-12-2013 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join