It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan Wants To Turn The Moon Into A Giant Power Plant

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Japan Wants To Turn The Moon Into A Giant Power Plant

Shimizu Corporation, a Japanese architecture and engineering firm, has a plan to effectively turn the moon into a giant solar power plant, reports Inhabitat.

It proposes building a massive collection of solar panels (a "Luna Ring") 6,800 miles long by 12 miles wide on the moon's surface. That's certainly a heavy-duty construction job for human beings, so Shimizu plans to get the work done with robots, only involving humans in supervisory roles.

Once complete, this hypothetical plant could continuously send energy to "receiving stations" around the globe by way of lasers and microwave transmission. This idea gets around two major hurdles for solar power, as there is no weather or darkness to curb electricity production on the moon. If operating in ship-shape, Shimizu says it could continuously send 13,000 terawatts of power back to Earth. By comparison, the total installed electricity generation summer capacity in the United States was 1,050.9 gigawatts.

It's big thinking that we're skeptical will ever see fruition, but we like where Shimizu's coming from. It believes that "virtually inexhaustible, non-polluting solar energy is the ultimate source of green energy that brings prosperity to nature as well as our lives. Shimizu Corporation proposes the Luna Ring for the infinite coexistence of mankind and the Earth."

Although I respectfully disagree with the last paragraph it would be neat to see this idea become a reality. The hurdles and costs of constructing, placing and maintaining the panels on the moon far outweigh the potential benefits, not to mention all the unknowns, for instance how will the panels be shielded from the constant solar flare bombardment?! Personally I still believe, as some of you might know, that nuclear energy is the savior to the energy crisis, but I support any endeavors like this to find alternatives to the problems we face today.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   

"Shimizu Corporation proposes the Luna Ring for the infinite coexistence of mankind and the Earth."

Once more the Japanese Empire will rule the galaxy and we shall have peace ...

edit on 5-12-2013 by Blowback because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Clairaudience

laser transmission my work but wouldn't microwaves be stopped by earths natural defenses or is moon inside of them van allen belts ozone layer , earths magenetic field and such

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
After Fukushima, it seems like the moon is an all around safer place than Japan.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   

proteus33

laser transmission my work but wouldn't microwaves be stopped by earths natural defenses or is moon inside of them van allen belts ozone layer , earths magenetic field and such

no ,,the Moons orbit never reaches inside that of the van allen belts &/or ozone layer
& yes ,the earths magenetic feild will deflect some of the energy towards the poles & KaBOOM !!

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Somehow I don't feel safe knowing that I could be crispy crittered via giat terrawatt microwaves from the moon..

or freakin lazerz.

sure nothing could go wrong. right?

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Helious
After Fukushima, it seems like the moon is an all around safer place than Japan.

Even if one considers that the entire surface of the moon is radioactive, I still tend to agree with you.

This is an interesting post OP.

I give you a S & F for the find and the effort.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Blowback

"Shimizu Corporation proposes the Luna Ring for the infinite coexistence of mankind and the Earth."

Once more the Japanese Empire will rule the galaxy and we shall have peace ...

It is not possible for me to pass your comment without starring your post.

This is a great scene from episode IV, IMHO.

Could all the geeks and nerds of this site please help me in heaping many stars on this mighty fine post?

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Its already a power plant. Does it not already move the tides.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Yes, it's a good subject to discuss, I mentioned this in another thread a few days ago. There was a thread here about this in 2010 but it stalled for some reason. Hopefully this ine will prevail a while longer.

One of the first questions brought up before was the problem of meteorites upsetting the whole system, but lack of info left not much in the way of answers.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 5-12-2013 by smurfy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Last I heard, neither microwaves nor lasers were considered very efficient transmission medium over a great distance.
I guess we could always fall back on a very long extension cord.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
There is absolutely no reason why japan of all people should be allowed to build ANY type of power plant on the moon after their fukushima debacle. With our luck they would build it RIGHT next to a crater, only to have it tip over and make the moon glow in the night

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Don't let naysayers fool you. Tesla knew this was possible. He transmitted electricity over the air successfully and safely. He walked around in it. He gave us most of the things we enjoy today and never got credit for it. The high tech weapons you will see used openly soon came from tesla. His research was stolen and spread to companies to develop after his death.

This is the kind of thinking we need in this world. Do we really think we can continue to rape our planet and survive. China is awake, over two billion and counting and all wanting more stuff. Seen bejing lately, neither has anyone else lol, smog so bad can't see in front of your face lol.

Out of the box thinking like this could save us. Germany is going all hydrogen energy, another smart move. Why won't we, greed....... Lol

The Bot

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Are we sure this Shimizu Corporation isn't ran by Dr. Evil?

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by proteus33

proteus33

As far as I understand it highly depends on the weather conditions of the receiving end of the transmission, humidity and wet weather conditions would definitely attenuate the transmission. Radiation could cause interference in the transmission process but would not affect what is being transmitted.
edit on December2013201305-0600fCST03America/Chicago15 by Clairaudience because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

Helious

Getting to the moon has cost more lives than the Fukushima incident which has a current death toll of zero.
But since Fukushima is not the subject matter I would like to ask any contributors after this post to refrain from any remarks to the Fukushima incident. Thank you.
edit on December2013201305-0600fCST03America/Chicago15 by Clairaudience because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

grey580
Somehow I don't feel safe knowing that I could be crispy crittered via giat terrawatt microwaves from the moon..

or freakin lazerz.

sure nothing could go wrong. right?

I think you might be a bit misinformed about the consequences of MPT:

The common reaction to microwave transmission is one of concern, as microwaves are generally perceived by the public as dangerous forms of radiation - stemming from the fact that they are used in microwave ovens. While high power microwaves can be painful and dangerous as in the United States Military's Active Denial System, MPT systems are generally proposed to have only low intensity at the rectenna.

Though this would be extremely safe as the power levels would be about equal to the leakage from a microwave oven, and only slightly more than a cell phone, the relatively diffuse microwave beam necessitates a large receiving antenna area for a significant amount of energy to be transmitted.

Research has involved exposing multiple generations of animals to microwave radiation of this or higher intensity, and no health issues have been found.

link

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

By far the best comment in here. Sweet, simple & thought provoking.
edit on December2013201305-0600fCST04America/Chicago16 by Clairaudience because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
My question is....are there moonquakes? If so, I won't trust Japan to stop radioactive leaks up there....

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   

proteus33

The magnetosphere would not affect microwaves. But I am curious as to why this thread story keeps popping up, maybe it's because the Tech is changing all the time. Remember the MASER/maser?
Last year, some guy/s followed up on some old Japanese research that said a compound called pentacene could be stabilised to make a MASER as in, Microwave Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation, to rival a LASER and it apparently worked. Some guy in Nature magazine wrote an article on it, and called it a Microwave LASER, which it is not, and which caused a lot of grumbles. There are masers though that use other wavelengths, but they are not a MASER.
So, the given article here is about the use of LASERS and Microwaves, while MASERS are not mentioned. Anyway here is the Shimizu plan on video,

edit on 5-12-2013 by smurfy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join