It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN authorizes military action by African and French troops in the Central African Republic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Today the UN Security Council authorized military force in central Africa sending over a thousand French troops to assist Afriacan troops combating Muslim & Christian extremists who are fighting and massacring each other & displacing tens of thousands of people who fear for their lives. A tragic murder of Muslim women & children by Christian extremists has prompted disgust by US. So far the death toll is over 100.

www.bangkokpost.com...

The UN resolution, which envoys say is certain to be passed unanimously, also orders an arms embargo against the huge, impoverished nation where chaos has reigned since rebels forced the president to flee in March.

Muslim and Christian groups are fighting each other and tens of thousands of people have taken refuge in churches and mosques fearing sectarian attacks, according to aid workers.

The draft resolution highlights the "total breakdown in law and order" in the state which, it adds, risks "degenerating into a countrywide religious and ethnic divide, with the potential to spiral into an uncontrollable situation."

The council will give an African force a 12-month mandate to restore order in the former French colony. French troops will have permission to use "all necessary measures" to support the African contingent.

There are about 2,500 troops in the African-led International Support Mission in the Central African Republic (MISCA) that will eventually reach 3,600 and on December 19 become an African Union force.

France has 600 troops there and plans to increase this to 1,200.

edit on 5-12-2013 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
And not a single F was given by ATS, but what the hell, here's an update.

Thousands seek refuge at Central African airport

BANGUI, Central African Republic (AP) — Thousands of Christian civilians sought refuge at an airport guarded by French soldiers Friday, fleeing from the mostly Muslim ex-rebels with machetes and guns who rule the country a day after the worst violence to hit the chaotic capital in nine months.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Sadly ATS never gives a crap about real humanitarian issues... Sri Lanka, Sudan... you name it, ATS never gave a crap, But Obama's BC or some stupid YT video about some BS alien.... 800 pages.

But this has escalated now, watching some footage earlier of French troops in Bangui, and the militia there.
Some shocking stories and footage coming out.
People holed up at a monastery and all sorts.

Just awful.

But I hope the French can at least stop some of the bloodshed

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I have been following this as well. I think the problem for people is they see so much of this out of Africa they expect it at this point. Having spent some time on that continent for the most part it is pretty peaceful but when it gets ugly it gets ugly. Weak govenments with weak militaries that are pretty much just militias means another force is capable of not only causing trouble but taking over. And with tons of cheap Russian/Chinese small arms these guys can not stand up to a real military force but, are just fine at killing each other and the poor people stuck in the middle. I see the US is offering air tranport for troops and supplies. I guess Burundi has troops for the US to move now. This is also good for the French who otherwise would have to load up certain elements of its supply line on ships.
edit on 9-12-2013 by MrSpad because: (no reason given)

top topics

join