It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Storm of the decade hits Northern Europe

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Well the wind is blowing pretty hard here in Groningen (The metropolitan city of the North of the Netherlands) and it rains like crazy. But this wind isn't half as hard as the winds and storm we had back like a month or 6 weeks ago. That one was much more intense. And here we are pretty much close to the center of the storm at this moment. This morning some faster winds but still noting scary!

The only thing that worries me a bit is the high tides at the coastal area (20 km's away from here). the local news is reporting about it:

www.dvhn.nl...

You can use google translate.

Same here but with some more info:

www.dvhn.nl...

They say it is CODE RED, that is pretty high same as last time, but maybe the worst still has to come here, and I still have to go out and do some shopping LOL!

(post by Britguy removed for a manners violation)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   

spartacus699
we got 3 ft of snow and -30c right now. And if you dont' have 4x4 you're not going anywhere. And they cry about a little rain oh boo hoo, get real.

Don't be so childish.

3ft of snow and it being a bit chilly is not comparable to sustained 100mph winds - For the record, Scotland gets that much snow every year too and they get on with it, often laughing at us "poncy English" whining about the 6 inches we had.

All you've done with that post is make yourself out to a bit of a prat.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
A freakish giant thunder storm just broke out here over the city of Groningen. Right after the first big thunder strike it was police and fire truck sires all over here. Now just now a big second thunder strike hit something close by!

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   

judus
I am in the middle of it

I have seen worse!

We're having relatively normal and real winters again (hopefully), and people flip out like it's the end of the world.

I shudder to think what the US will do with what looks to be the first real winter in years. Everyone gets used to the Indian summers, coupled with the B.S. global warming talk and before ya know it....they've assumed winter is on a perm. vacation. Errr.... Surprise, eh? Nature didn't get the memo about how it's supposed to be warmer. lol....

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by roundpyramid

I'm in Zaanstad n-h but not a single thunder strike here.. And there's hardly any rain at all. A lot of wind though, but as said before, nothing compared to the previous storm.
And hey, all the trees that would go down in a storm already went down that time, so not too worried here.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by roundpyramid

Take care, hope you are all safe. It's left Scotland, pretty much. We just have snow here now.
It was really bad as it went past, hope there's not too much damage near you.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Asktheanimals
Better to err on the side of safety people.
PEople were downplaying Hurricane Sandy when they should have been getting ready instead.
Get prescriptions filled, buy convenience foods, Candles, batteries, fuel, tie down loose furniture outside, bring all your pets in early.
Stay safe and stay put.
Curl up with a friend and a good book.

Since I was in the middle of Sandy, I will add to Asktheanimals post.....if you can afford it, buy a small generator, fuel for the generator, extension cords also. If you have a trampoline, or something large capable of blowing away, use large rocks to hold the items down. Try to cut down any hanging or loose branches close to your home.......good luck!!!!!

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   

spartacus699
have you ever tried english food? They need to learn how to cook! No wonder Jamie Oliver and Gordon Ramsy moved to the US. They couldn't be caught dead there.

Haha, nice try at trolling, but epic fail and making yourself look even dafter, but both went to the US because of the shocking food to be found there!

Jamie spent months trying to gets schools to serve healthy food, to be met with stonewalled resistance and Gordon goes around showing your restaurateurs and hoteliers how to run a proper business....

Jamie lives in Essex too, not the US and Gordon lives in Battersea, London....

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
The wind seems to have really picked up here in Hertfordshire in the last 15 minutes or so. I thought it was supposed to be easing down this afternoon, not increasing! Glad I moved the car earlier away from any trees.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Winds over 75mph up here in York, so over hurricane strength (although gusting rather than permanent). Quite a bit of disruption and minor damage (trees over, roofs damaged, etc) but at the end of the day, it is just very strong wind.

Of far more concern is the combination of tidal surge with high tides to low lying areas of the East Coast - only time will tell how that will go! Again though, this has been predicted countless times over the previous 30 years or so and none of those have turned out too bad so we will just have to wait and see........

And to our friends in Holland, i am not so sure the worst has got to you yet!

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Indeed, the Dutch are particularly at risk from Storm surges, owing to the huge amount of reclaimed land and sub-sea level area's. In London, they've had to raise the Thames Barrier to protect the capital and large swathes of Essex have been evacuated ahead of the expected surge.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Indeed, but we have some defence.

They have closed all the large waterways with special constructed structures. (hugh!)

Here you can see them:

Closing "nieuwe waterweg"

Oosterschelde & others:

edit on 5-12-2013 by EartOccupant because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-12-2013 by EartOccupant because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

spartacus699
have you ever tried english food? They need to learn how to cook! No wonder Jamie Oliver and Gordon Ramsy moved to the US. They couldn't be caught dead there.

What is wrong with you Spartacus, have you been on your home made brew again?

Ok, might not be a big issue where you live but the countries that may/are being affected by this storm are pretty small scale compared to where you probably live so the damage and effects are increased somewhat.

I often enjoy reading some of your posts but in this thread you have pushed it a little far methinks?

Let us all know when your hangover has gone.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Hmmm, my fiance is flying from Stockholm to Helsinki today and he didn't mention this. Perhaps it's not as bad up there. When I think Northern Europe I think Norway, Sweden, Finland lol

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Malynn

Nah, that's more Scandinavia really - the storms path is down the North Sea, off the Scots/English coast, towards Holland/Germany. Miles away from either Sweden or Finland.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by EartOccupant

Impressive
I did know you guys are good on flood defence (you have to be) but this is going to be a hefty surge, so I hope you guys ride it out - I love the Netherlands

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Malynn
Hmmm, my fiance is flying from Stockholm to Helsinki today and he didn't mention this. Perhaps it's not as bad up there. When I think Northern Europe I think Norway, Sweden, Finland lol

The storm hasn't yet arrived here in Finland, its expected to hit around Friday. The wind is not expected to be very strong, but they have predicted heavy snowing. That snow will most likely melt during next week as warm front arrives.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Aye, it's been windy, and sadly at least 2 people have died in Britain as a consequence - but the winds haven't been any worse than we see most years. The real issue is the storm surge, especially down the North Sea with some predicting it could be the highest surge since the 1953 disaster in which many hundreds of people died. Hopefully much better defences and, of course, better communication and warnings means the next 24 hours won't be nearly so bad as that fateful January night.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join