It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My 11 y.o. son called me a liar...sadly, he was right.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Or perhaps the better strategy would to have not bought into the commercial holiday to begin with?

I understand its all fun and such... but there comes a point when your resulting conversation happens.

I ask you... What do you tell them about Jesus and God?
Do you let that fairy tale continue on or are you blunt about that?

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Sovaka

Hey Sov. I came from the old family in the 60's. I am with the Jesus and birth of Christ thing. Santa an all. Result 7 kids and a couple of Grandkids, none of whom are religious like me. But each Christmas Santa would come and place gifts under the tree to commemorate the birth of Jesus (nods head) and the bringing and giving of gifts..

If the children and grandchildren choose to follow whatever beliefs later in life they will always have a gift from me and my wife (non believer). The way it works is at least after birthdays and holidays there is one day when we can sit, be nice, laugh, eat and give each other a present. I am reminded of the birth of Jesus and have told them at one time or another. But its their choice.

Now Santa...eldest child is 11. Hey it was fun. 'Leave Santa a nip of 'Cougar' and some crisps.' Next morning there was gifts under the tree. I am corrupt. Lets say Santa gets a nip here every Christmas regardless of beliefs or not. Merry Christmas friend,,,

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   

The GUT
So, I was this "enlightened" dad who decided to be "truthful" about the Santa Claus myth. What do I hear from my grown-up children today: "How come you blew our belief in Santa?!!"

No lie. Go figure.

Children love magic and imagination. My daughter is in the midst of this Elf on the Shelf craze! She wakes up at 7am to search for the little guy and tells everyone about it at school. She is in grade 2.
...finding new places and new mischief for the little guy to get into is getting harder though!

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   
My daughter never bought into Santa Claus and would get really freaked out when she'd see him in the malls. Some old guy that sneaks into homes?? toys or not ... she wanted no part of it. BUT she believed in the Easter Bunny for a while and the tooth fairy for a long time.

She figured out on her own that it was all just 'fun' and there weren't any adjustment problems.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
My parents just told me one day and I said, "I know." And I left it at that. I'm not sure I have ever believed in Santa Claus.
edit on 5-12-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I knew it was all a put on when I was four. My uncle came over to play Santa Claus and despite the white beard and pillow it took my but a second to realize it was him. I kept my mouth shut though as I did not want the presents to dry up.

Greedy at four........ Guess it is human nature lol.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
In my case, I began to suspect that xmas. That morning, first thing I did was check the cookie jar to see if the cookies were replaced that I had left out, (and they were). I asked my parents about it and they responded that so many kids leave them out for Santa, that sometimes he is just too full when he gets here. And instead of wasting them, he puts them back for you to eat.

Then, I was assured and found out late on the following xmas eve when I was about 10 or 11 I guess. I heard shuffling downstairs, thinking it was Santa, I snuck out of my bed upstairs. I crawled to the top of the stairs and peered down. I saw my parents placing the presents under the tree. I went back to bed, and waited for the morning.

That morning, after opening the presents, I went up to my mom and thanked her and dad for the gifts....all of them (even the ones marked "Santa"). Surprised, they looked at each other and told me that Santa was really an idea, a feeling of unselfish giving. And, now that I knew the real truth, I was becoming a man. It was my responsibility to keep this thought to myself, since that is part of the unselfish aspect of the idea.

To this day, some 30+ years later, I still think that was the best way to have it described to me as a child. Santa was real, and existed in your heart. You are now Santa, and are also responsible for perpetuating the idea of unselfish giving.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by MagesticEsoteric

If they only knew what we lie about...this is peanuts...how many of us lie about when we started drinking, smoking, having sex and of course speeding...we tell all our kids certain things not to be mean or to screw them up but to enjoy what little childhood they have and to simply point them in the best direction..I would not knock a parent for going either way..your kid, raise him how you see fit...my kid is 8 now and questioning the legitimacy of Santa...he's growing up...he has a lifetime or learning some hard lessons about truth..

Wait till he figures out the republican/democrat scam...
edit on 5-12-2013 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-12-2013 by chrismarco because: new-knew...damn it!

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Krakatoa

That morning, after opening the presents, I went up to my mom and thanked her and dad for the gifts....all of them (even the ones marked "Santa"). Surprised, they looked at each other and told me that Santa was really an idea, a feeling of unselfish giving. And, now that I knew the real truth, I was becoming a man. It was my responsibility to keep this thought to myself, since that is part of the unselfish aspect of the idea.

To this day, some 30+ years later, I still think that was the best way to have it described to me as a child. Santa was real, and existed in your heart. You are now Santa, and are also responsible for perpetuating the idea of unselfish giving.

that was so sweet my teeth are staring to ache...well said

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
My son is 8 this year and has asked me for the first time if Santa is real. I asked him what he thought. He thought for a minute and said yes he's real. I'm going to let it play as long as he will let it. There are enough hard truths in life that I really do want to let him believe in childhood magic a bit longer. I guess it also helps that we have family in North Pole, and he has talked with Santa often, and at different times of the year. He has seen the reindeer with his own eyes and had the lady behind the counter explain the workshop underground. I'm going to be sad for the both of us when it's over.

I guess it's as much of a lie as telling a child that we are all the same, or withholding from them the negativities in life that we have to deal with as parents. Granted Santa is a bit more elaborate than doctor bills taking precedence over birthday gifts, but its the same concept. Their innocence is too sweet and enjoyable to want to take it away.

OP, your son loves you regardless, and he will continue to trust you, although he may hold this over your head for a bit because he can. Kids are funny like that.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Krakatoa

amazing job of parenting your folks did in that instance.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by Krakatoa

amazing job of parenting your folks did in that instance.

Thanks, I thought so too. Fortunately, I was the youngest, so I got the benefit of their prior experience in v1.0, v1.1, v1.2, and I got to hear v2.0 (new and improved)

PS: And for those here that think it was "too sweet", I related a true story from my childhood. I'm sorry if yours was not as good, and didn't have good parents. I do feel lucky for that, every time I think of them being gone. To me, as long as I remember them, they are still here, within me, and I am an extension of their lives.

edit on 12/5/2013 by Krakatoa because: Fixed spelling and other fat-finger errors

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I don't remember much, about when my boys learned the truth, except that my older son really liked keeping the secret with me from his brother. I do remember that after they knew the truth, they would get so mad at me, because I still refused to put ANY of their presents under the tree, until they were sleeping. Really sleeping.

So guess who still does that to them? And it still drives them crazy!

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by MagesticEsoteric

But you didn't lie. Santa Claus is real.

He was a Saint and they put him in prison for his Faith in Jesus Christ. He also punch Arius in the face when Arius denied The Divinity of Jesus Christ

top topics

<< 1   >>

join