It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

St Nicholas; 4th century BADASS!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Most people are familiar with the red and white clad merry old elf who delivers presents to all the kiddies on Christmas. A Few know that he was really a 4th century Catholic bishop who dropped gold coins in the windows of the needy late at night. Very few know that in his time he was known for something else; delivering a mean left hook to another bishop at an ecumenical council. It wasn't until much later in history that he became known for all the stuff we're familiar with today, back in his own time he was just the badass who punched out Arius at the council.

It all started when Arius started preaching, saying that Jesus was not divine and was just a regular person who was maybe just possessed by the spirit of Christ. Arius gathered a following but, other bishops had a more orthodox understanding of Jesus' divinity. The Church was breaking into factions and in 325, Constantine called a council in Nicaea to debate the matter and finally figure out which side was right.

When Arius got up to make his case, Nicholas didn't take it too well.

During the First Ecumenical Council of Nicea (AD 325), Arius was called upon to defend his position on the inferiority of Christ. Saint Nicholas just couldn’t listen to all of Arius’ nonsense and so he stood up and laid in to Arius with his fist.

The Emperor Constantine and the bishops present at the Council were alarmed by Nicholas’ act of violence against Arius. They immediately stripped Nicholas of his office as a bishop by confiscating the two items that marked out a man as a Christian bishop: Nicholas’ personal copy of the Gospels and his pallium (the vestment worn by all bishops in the East).

St Peter's List

Things weren't looking good for ole' St Nick right then but, that night in his prison cell he received a couple of very special visitors.

However, after Nicholas was deposed, the Lord Jesus Christ and the Blessed Virgin Mary visited Nicholas who was being held in a prison cell for his fist-fight with the heretic.

Our Lord Jesus Christ asked Saint Nicholas, “Why are you here?” Nicholas responded, “Because I love you, my Lord and my God.”

Christ then presented Nicholas with his copy of the Gospels. Next, the Blessed Virgin vested Nicholas with his episcopal pallium, thus restoring him to his rank as a bishop.

After receiving such a hearty endorsement from the Big Man Himself, the emperor and the bishops at the council had no choice but to reinstate Nicholas as a bishop in full good standing at the council. After that, Arius and his new teachings didn't stand a chance; the divinity of Christ won out.

So remember; St Nick may be keeping that list of who's naughty and who's nice but, he also keeps a list of those who really piss him off.

If you thought getting a lump of coal in your stocking for Christmas was bad, you don't know the half of it. So remember folks, if you want to keep your teeth for Christmas day, whatever you do, DO NOT deny the divinity of Christ. St Nick is watching after all...

edit on 12/4/13 by FortAnthem because:

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Dear FortAnthem,

Absolutely wonderful! One star and flag? That's nothing. ATS hero of the week!! (Uh, heroine?) Just talking about that earlier today. Hooray!! Head over heels, I'm dancing! (Of course, I haven't had my meds, so I might be a bit hyper.)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Yeah, he was a good guy. And a badass. Which is awesome.

Do you want a list of more badasses (yes, even biblical-types like Judah Maccabee)?

Look at this site Badass of the Week, but beware, it reeks of macho!

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 05:38 AM
link   
LOLOLOLOL

S&F for the information and wish I could give you another one for the pics

Nice work (insert thumbs up smiley)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

I got most of the pics from the link, although I did make the "Jesus approves" one myself for this thread.

Here's one more.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   

So remember folks, if you want to keep your teeth for Christmas day, whatever you do, DO NOT deny the divinity of Christ. St Nick is watching after all…

That's a risk I'm willing to take

Awesome post Fort Anthem

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Happy St Nicholas day!

I found this neat poem based on "The Night Before Christmas" that describes the events at the council. The first part is the lead-up and background story. I'll cut strait to the good part.

Speeches were given, but nothing was clear,
Then Arius rose, for all to hear,
Jesus was prophet, not God, not divine,
A great man to know, admiration was fine.

But God was one thing, not two and not three,
And that was the way it always should be.
So Arius continued defending his view,
In a room full of people not sure what to do.

Then in the back there arose such a clatter,
Everyone turned to see what was the matter.
A skinny old Greek almost flew ‘cross the room,
His strides, they were certain. His face, did it fume.

He reached Arius quick, and reached him fist-first,
And Arius went down as one of the worst.
Above him stood Nicholas, from whom many had fled,
And Arius knew then he had something to dread.

For truth conquerors all, and while consensus is fine,
Some things, they will never change with the times.
Yes Christ was a good man, yes he was nice,
But He was and is God, for He is the Christ.

So as you lay down, all snug in your bed,
Know that Jesus is God, above all else said.
And if you say less, and you change with the new,
Know that St. Nicholas may come for you too.

Traditium

You can read the full poem at the link.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Great thread, never knew anything about the man I was named after until now. Sounds like a cool guy.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

A good reason not to teach your children about Santa Claus, if you are not a Christian. Christmas is not about Jesus Christ or Santa Claus, it is about celebrating Charity, Giving to others just like Thanksgiving is about Appreciation.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Merry Christmas ATS!

Here's to hoping everyone wakes up with all their teeth in the morning.

new topics

top topics

join