It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Positive Look at Cops.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I want to believe cops are good, I'm old enough to have been able to grow up in a time where we could look at cops and say they were the heroes, that's what we were taught and that's how they acted. It wasn't all that long ago really since I'm referring to the 80's and 90's.

I would love nothing more than to be able to go back to that and see cops as the good guys, we've just had so many incidents of crooked cops however that I don't see how it's possible without widespread systemic changes. The only cop I see as a good guy these days is Dorner because he actually stood up and exposed corruption where he could (he did some other things too, but maybe that's justice given the bias in the courts).

Personally I've been pulled over and beaten on the side of the road by cops for no reason, and I've had them invade my home in the middle of the night, murder my pet and smash/confiscate my stuff, threaten to kill me, and damage my home only to leave when they found nothing illegal. I can't see them as the good guys anymore and i hold what's becoming an increasingly popular opinion that in the current culture good cops can't exist because they help cover up the actions of the bad ones. I used to have tremendous respect for cops, they have to deal with a lot of undesirable people day in and day out while risking their lives. I held that respect for them because they represented the best of society, and they had increased authority to go along with it. Until massive reforms happen however I can't feel that way anymore.

I don't like feeling that way about cops, I don't know what sane person would but that's the reputation they've created for themselves. I've lived in my current small town for 11 years now, crime is low enough that I have never felt the need to lock my front door to stay safe. I lock it now not to keep criminals out but to give me a couple more seconds if the police come back.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TorqueyThePig

Thanks for the rant. It's gotta be tough some days, but I hope others remind you why you signed up for the job. And take some small satisfaction that some...even if they are Canadian...will open a thread like this to say thanks. That goes out to all the LEOs aboard.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I had a gang of cops kick my front door in. Without a warrant. Because 5 of my friends and I were having a bbq and listening to music outside on a Friday night at 9pm. After they stormed my house and put everyone on the curb, they said a nehbor called and said we were having a party. And there were some shadey ppl that used to live in that house. No one for arrested and they let us continue our party. But my front door was unusable after that.
One time a while back, I got into an accident with a on duty dhs agent. It was clearly his fault but the officer that arrived was a friend of his. So, naturally, on the police report it said that I admitted fault.
I hate cops. They have never helped me... And there are two of the ways they have hurt.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I'm almost 60 and have seen cops change from descent fellows to paramilitary thugs hell-bent on criminalizing the public--especially in small towns. They hand out $100 fines for jaywalking routinely, especially if you don't look like you can afford it. They go after pot smokers like they were terrorists---Today, I view cops as terrorists because I know too many good,law-abiding people who have terrorized by them.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   

whatnext21

Nor will a cop catch me going over the speed limit and I hope you are behind me cause I will go 5 under just for you!

Don't go too slow, they'll pull you over for that to.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   

That was a really strange example of a "great act" by a law enforcement officer. Some law enforcement officers do great things and far too many more do messed up things.

My question is do you "truly" no any great cops? Understand what I am asking here and what it entails. Now the rub. I defy you to show me an example of a great law enforcement officer who has seen corruption within his or her department, has stood up and brought attention to that and still has a job - It doesn't happen, there is a brotherhood of the badge and it is serious business.

See a great law enforcement officer is opposed to all criminality in the very nature of the job he or she performs, not just the criminal acts that allow them to keep their job.

Often times its not the basic street troop its the leadership, and if your leadership is crooked what hope is there for the dept under their charge.

Mike Byrd, Mississippi Sheriff, Indicted On 31 Charges

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Cops - great if they are friends with you, if they aren't they will like anyone with some authority abuse it for personal interest.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Just a question that will get ignored by the haters, but it is fact

There are over 750 THOUSAND Active Law Enforcement Officers in the US

Many here use the words MOST COPS are doing bad things

51% ?????

60% ????

Let us say 10% for argument sake.. So 75 THOUSAND bad cops

SOMEONE....................ANYONE................... Show me 75 THOUSAND YouTube Videos in ONE year of bad cops

Bet ya can't...

Of course it wont stop you from posting lies and hyperbole, but it at least PROVES WHAT YOU ARE

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

I'd rather we had 75,000 good "peace officers" but that's not gonna happen is it?

read this example from a gentleman in the field and note his examples and the distinction between PO and LEO.

I mentioned this in a response I made, I am assuming this is why this question was posted. Let me give some of my personal history, I have been employed as a deputy with one of the largest sheriff’s depts in the U.S. since 1986. During my training and probation, we were always referred to as public servants and peace officers. I began to notice gradual changes in the mid 1990s, the US vs THEM mentality became more and more prevalent. Ruby Ridge and Waco resulted in training from the FBI that implied people who spoke out for freedom and the Constitution, were radicals and potentially, extremists. Things became much worse after OKC. I began seeing a militarization within the department that I had never seen before. We were no longer public servants, we had become law enforcers. The constant use of the word “Civilians” to describe the public had become the norm. As a former MP reservist, I was shocked at how my military like we were becoming. PASGT helmets (Kevlar) AR15s, encrypted radios systems and a massive influx of returning vets amongst our ranks who sadly displayed PTSD symptoms yet passed all of our psych tests and background investigations. I took two oaths to protect and defend the Constitution yet constantly heard things like, “I have no problem telling a lie under oath, I’m just putting someone away that hadnt been caught until now.” I am retiring soon and what I see scares me. In almost 30 years, I have witnessed a group of good hearted public servants morph into an enforcement arm of the county and I am glad I am leaving. Leaving with a heavy heart for sure but I know I am not alone, I am an “Oath Keeper,” and as long as there are like minded men like us, things can always change.

edit on 5-12-2013 by WWJFKD because: to add

Sir Robert Peel’s Nine Principles
1. The basic mission for which the police exist is to prevent crime and disorder.
2. The ability of the police to perform their duties is dependent upon public approval of police actions.
3. Police must secure the willing co-operation of the public in voluntary observance of the law to be able to secure and maintain the respect of the public.
4. The degree of co-operation of the public that can be secured diminishes proportionately to the necessity of the use of physical force.
5. Police seek and preserve public favour not by catering to public opinion but by constantly demonstrating absolute impartial service to the law.
6. Police use physical force to the extent necessary to secure observance of the law or to restore order only when the exercise of persuasion, advice, and warning is found to be insufficient.
7. Police, at all times, should maintain a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence.
8. Police should always direct their action strictly towards their functions and never appear to usurp the powers of the judiciary. 9. The test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder, not the visible evidence of police action in dealing with it.

edit on 5-12-2013 by WWJFKD because: and then some

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Semper,

I am going to give a classic example since I live in the D, or ( Detroit )

As many of you already know Detroit is one of the worst places, in the world for crime, and is only paralleled to third world countries. I am not going to post stats, but there are places in the City of Detroit that have been lawless for decades.

Detroit was also run by a bunch of corrupt politicians since the 70's and the police force has dwindled since then to an almost skeleton crew now, but things are changing.

Shall I say that again "Skeleton Crew".

Detroit is almost lawless and there are many many people in Detroit that would love to see an increase in LEO's, but even though they have a new mayor the damage has already been done.

In order to get people to want to live in the city again, and have decent schools, neighborhoods, and the ability to feel safe the police force will have to be stepped up again.

Most people have zero idea of what lawlessness looks or feels like, unless they live, or have lived near, or in the City of Detroit.

Cops are A-holes when they are not needed, but I can tell you this, Detroit needs a whole army of those A-holes to help stabilize the current situation.

Personally since Detroit's bankruptcy and the state take over Detroit may get the much needed money for extra LEO's, but it will take years to stabilize a city current void of adequate officers.

Peace,

RT

edit on 5-12-2013 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-12-2013 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   

semperfortis
Just a question that will get ignored by the haters, but it is fact

There are over 750 THOUSAND Active Law Enforcement Officers in the US

Many here use the words MOST COPS are doing bad things

51% ?????

60% ????

Let us say 10% for argument sake.. So 75 THOUSAND bad cops

SOMEONE....................ANYONE................... Show me 75 THOUSAND YouTube Videos in ONE year of bad cops

Bet ya can't...

Of course it wont stop you from posting lies and hyperbole, but it at least PROVES WHAT YOU ARE

First of all not everything is video taped, it's the same problem as white collar crime which is an epidemic in the country. We don't know the real extent of how bad it is, the fact that police departments try their best to not publicize these incidents makes reporting the true figures even more difficult.

Second of all. Every police officer who knows of wrongdoing by another cop in their jurisdiction but doesn't alert the public is guilty by proxy. I know we have massive double standards against whistleblowers in this country and that coming forward isn't easy, but cops that are heroes like they're supposed to be are supposed to be able to handle the tasks that aren't easy. By failing to stand up, they empower the bad ones and become complicit in it. It's just like if a manager at a food processing plant knows of toxins being put into the food because it's a cheaper alternative, we expect that person to come forward. It's no different for the police or any other profession.

The fact that cops aren't doing this is all the proof that's needed to know that a huge percentage of them are bad.

Realtruth
I am going to give a classic example since I live in the D, or ( Detroit )

As many of you already know Detroit is one of the worst places, in the world for crime, and is only paralleled to third world countries. I am not going to post stats, but there are places in the City of Detroit that have been lawless for decades.

I always love hearing stories of Detroit. I have only been there one time and it was a year ago. I was traveling by bus, missed a connection and had to spend 22 hours in the Detroit Greyhound bus station. It was not a pleasant experience. The people at the desk flat out told me when I asked if there was any place in walking distance to get some food (their bus station has one vending machine and no atm) and they said it wasn't safe to walk around, this was in broad daylight, at noon actually. If I wanted to eat I would have to get a taxi. When the taxi drove me around I saw sections of sidewalks blocked off because the buildings were crumbling and falling concrete was a concern.

It's a real shame to see what has happened to one of the former greatest cities in the world. I support the idea of law enforcement, Detroit is proof that we need it. But I don't support what it has morphed into.
edit on 5-12-2013 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Hey neformore and semperfortis

For Moderators you guys sure are taking a very aggressive and condescending approach to all the anti police responses on here. I guess you've also decided that none of the members of ATS could ever face down a man with a gun(neformore), however I would bet that some of them have in fact done this. Very interesting how much disdain you have for ATS members, considering you're moderators. I doubt that many policemen armed with handguns or maybe a shotgun would face down men with automatic weapons.

People who have had bad experiences with policemen are perhaps far more passionate than someone that one time had a slightly positive experience with a cop.
"Remember that time the cop didn't beat us? That was great, he was such a hero."

Try telling some WWII era Jews that the Nazis weren't all bad, just some. Let's have a thread about the random acts of kindness that the Nazis performed. See, when a guy with a gun, club and badge goes bad he has the potential to really mess peoples lives up. People are understandably a little stuck on that point.
edit on 5-12-2013 by hammanderr because: grammar

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   

I like good cops.

I hate bad cops.

Good cops are in the minority, bad cops are in majority.

That is all.
edit on 5-12-2013 by mekhanics because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   

TorqueyThePig
reply to post by thepolish1

I will be participating in "shop with a cop" in my city in a couple of weeks. I can't wait to see the smile on the children's faces!

I'm really glad to hear someone one else will have just as much enjoyment as the kids. Brings a tear to my eye. I'm gonna go just to see all the kids. Thank you.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Were still getting examples of how "not bad" they are. I asked for an example of a truly great "one" I set the guidelines and my parameters are reasonable. I am still waiting.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Contact the two victims in these stories and explain how not all cops are bad.

Cop arrests and rapes woman, 19 years old.www.khou.com...

Man beaten to death by cops in front of witnesses.www.dailymail.co.uk...

I know that not every run in with the police goes this way, I know. The thing is, when it goes bad, it can go really bad and if you defend yourself you're "resisting."

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   

hammanderr

Contact the two victims in these stories and explain how not all cops are bad.

Cop arrests and rapes woman, 19 years old.www.khou.com...

Man beaten to death by cops in front of witnesses.www.dailymail.co.uk...

I know that not every run in with the police goes this way, I know. The thing is, when it goes bad, it can go really bad and if you defend yourself you're "resisting."

This is why I strongly feel there need to be significantly higher penalties on cops when they break the law and their authority as a cop is involved. You cannot legally resist. If that woman shot her would be rapist she would be gunned down as a cop killer, or atleast thrown in prison. If the man being beaten to death did anything to try and stop it, he would be hit with, prosecuted on, and eventually found guilty of resisting arrest and assaulting an officer.

When you're not legally allowed to defend yourself from an officer there need to be extremely high penalties on them for abusing authority.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Aazadan

You hit it on the head. The tragedy of a person being taken advantage of by a system that forces us to be victims. It's very frustrating. We have been sold on the idea that being a "cop killer" is somehow a super crime. If a cop is raping a woman in the back seat of his patrol car, in that moment he'd fall within the legal parameters of a justified killing.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   

So if you don't see 75,000 videos of cops doing bad things then it must all be untrue? Have you seen 75,000 videos of anyone in the financial district doing anything shady? Does that mean it doesn't happen?

I know there are good cops, but then there's of course the power abusing terrorists we all love to hate. The thing I hate the most is this statement here -----> "They're just doing their jobs". Soooo just because someones doing a job, they are not expected to act like a decent human being? If doing a job excused people from the actions they take, there would've never been a trial at Nuremberg, I mean hey they were just doing their job. I just wanna know why that phrase excuses people from being jerks at best, and kidnappers, rapists, murderers at worst.
edit on 5-12-2013 by Bundy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Here's a link to an old thread from here on ATS. The OP states:

This is video shot by Jason Burmas at the location of Albany Airport. I watched, amazed at the courage of one Sherriff as he took a stand to protect the rights of the two brave people Ashley Jessica and Jason Bermas who embarked on a mission to apprise travelers and educate people about opting out of dangerous body scanners and filming of intrusive pat downs. Awesome, just awesome!

Deputy Sherriff Protects 1ST Amendment At Albany Airport

The video is embedded here for easier reference:

This is an example of a police officer that did the right thing, when the wrong thing (harassing the citizens) would have been a lot easier. HE knew the law, and followed it as it should be, without his power going to his head.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join