It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Positive Look at Cops.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

No, I was serious. What's the point? I only see icons there. Doesn't make a point.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I said in my ORIGINAL post that I have seen some good ones, yes, but I MOSTLY see pricks and revenue hogs for BS "offenses."

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   

intrepid

No, I was serious. What's the point? I only see icons there. Doesn't make a point.

i believe the poster mentioned having PC problems and you may have missed it due to focusing only on the negative in your thread. take a breath my friend and focus on the good you originally intended to. no offense btw just and observation.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   

TDawgRex

I see what you are getting at. And have experienced it myself. But one bad cop doesn't make the rest all bad. It's just thhat they get the press. If it bleeds, it leads.

Most of the LEO's, Firefighters, EMS and Military I know all complain about corruption within the ranks. Many of them have put their careers on the line exposing it. They just don't the press, because it looks bad.

No one saying all cops are bad , but even 5 % bad cops are a lot of bad cops.You know bad person with authority and power can turn very ugly for someone. I have seen personally cops without a reason going on a power trip that turned very ugly for the opposite side.Cops should do tests , checkings, controls very often, even examinig their past.They should get better wages though.

edit on 4-12-2013 by xavi1000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by OceanSpray

I was replying to:

winofiend
reply to post by intrepid

Plenty of people lose their liveW������E ������������Z7
������������\�
������w
�����`����x�Q3B���NdZ��E�q8H@����
��(�e�P4X�(�GYP�0�� that they get ignored for their loss?

I am not sure what you're trying to do here. Yes there are good cops. There are also good garbage men.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

I have no idea what is going on I typed a page worth of reply and then it turns into crap.

Both of my posts did. I hope this doesnt.

My point was I don't see the need to praise the cops for doing what they are paid to do, over any other person who does a dangerous job that they willingly choose to do.

Praise them when they go above their duty, sure. I do.

But that also requires the thing you are complaining about in the OP. the people who bag the cops when they get caught doing bad.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   

intrepid
reply to post by thepolish1

BB code and I aren't friends. Just saying.

You lost me my man........what is BB code????

Is it like.......Intrepid, what's your 20? We have a 10-50 PI and a possible 10-0.....Please Tx.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

To be truthful, it's up to the LEO's themselves to clean the department. When others get involved it only murkys the waters.

But I also think that they should do away with Police Unions as well as they seem to be the ones who cover up the actions of the bad ones. Once a bad cop is exposed, no amount of jaw jacking from the unions is gonna help. Usually it makes things worse in the publics eye.

But in this case of the OP's post, we don't know all the specific details. Cop cars are virtual info hubs these days. Maybe he thought he could get there before anyone was hurt and in his zeal to do such was killed in the line of duty.

Let's be truthful...LEO's, Firefighters, EMS and most Military are adreniline freaks at first and it takes time to temper that reaction.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   

intrepid
reply to post by OceanSpray

I was replying to:

winofiend

Plenty of people lose their liveW������E ������������Z7
������������\�
������w
�����`����x�Q3B���NdZ��E�q8H@����
��(�e�P4X�(�GYP�0�� that they get ignored for their loss?

I am not sure what you're trying to do here. Yes there are good cops. There are also good garbage men.

yes and prior to that you responded to winofields origianl post, " When the cops are just doing theW"

your reply

Meaning?

What's your point?

3rd line.

then the next post had problems as well and i responded to your response. i'm sorry that sounds funny the way i worded it.

in any case i think we all need a positive thread on anybody and cops are just like everybody else so it's all good. i like your intent with it.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   

This is my feeling.

People in certain positions have a duty to act in specific situations. A nurse that sees you collapse has a "duty to act". A manager that sees a wet floor with no sign has the same duty to act. Failing to act in such situations can make your criminally and civilly liable, personally, should a victim file due to your failure to act.

This means that a police officer, being duty bound, would be criminally and civilly liable for not doing their job. There is nothing heroic about fulfilling a duty, unless one does so while marching into certain death doing it. Firefighters come to mind here...and I love picking up the check anytime a firefighter dines in the same establishment as me. Cops....not so much.

I once mentioned this to a cop I knew, about how they should find ways to soften their image by engaging the public. He responded with something alog the lines of, "We have to be on guard, we can't be kissing babies and shaking hands. Cops have died!" How do you not roll your eyes at that. It is essentially him saying, "We can't be nice to the sheep we are there to guard", or its how he came across to me.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Somebody has to do the job of the cops. More People would abuse the laws if there were no cops. I am glad that there are people that would take these jobs. I never complain about the cops here, now the FBI and Homeland Security, that is a different story. Most of those guys got a well paying job and don't help most of us. They are looking for the big bust most of the time, the one that gives them glory.

The local cops have to respond to little things like a drunk swerving all over the road or a domestic dispute....none of these are glorious. They have to respond to complaints of kids trying to break into houses or ripping off their grandparents medicines to sell. This is no glorious either. It takes a special kind of person to make a good cop, one who cares about the decent people in the community and will put up with a lot of crap from the ones who don't like them. Usually the ones who don't like the cops believe that what they are doing is right when in fact it is wrong. If you are speeding, you can get a ticket. If you act like a jerk, expect to get harassed.

They are doing a job that most people would not want to do. A necessary job, more necessary than the president of a bank or a scientist...with much less pay.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I wonder how many of those who are very much apposed to LEOs are also apposed to Civilians owning firearms for self defense?

Opens a can of worms and slowly backs away....
edit on 4-12-2013 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   

SLAYER69
I wonder how many of those who are very much apposed to LEOs are also apposed to Civilians owning firearms for self defense?

please take the corner Sir and place the cone on your head.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I'll probably cross a line here. But in my experience with LEO's is that the rural ones (Small town, County and State police) are usually pretty decent folks. But I have run across a few city LEO's that feel like they are on the battlefield after time. With really strict rules of engagement. (Which should be there)

Who here can say without a doubt that their job has not burned them out and they became cynical? Very few I would bet.

Couple that with internal politics and someone with a weak mindset and you have a possible disaster in the making.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

xavi1000
Cops should do tests , checkings, controls very often, even examinig their past.They should get better wages though.

I recall a campus cop that, try as he might, could not pass the psych profile for either city or provincial cops. Last I heard, he ended up a deputy sheriff in a southern state. Don't know how he worked it, but I thought it a mite chilling.

Not that I dispute any bad-news cop stories, but any grief I have ever received was totally proportional to my own attitude. That has served me both ways.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I fail to see how a cop goes hog wild to a suspicion of a drunk driver call that everyone knows is a public hazard but in the process becomes the public hazard by speeding, causing a collision and killing himself in the process..... Not even close to heroic!!!!
This pedestal has a really shaky set of legs! He actually put the public in more risk that his alleged drunk driver because he ACTUALLY was the one who caused a dangerous situation that resulted in his own death.....

I feel that it's irony at its best.

My heart and prayers go out to his family

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   

SLAYER69

I own a small arsenal of my own. and don't dial 911.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by agentblue

I fail to see how a cop goes hog wild to a suspicion of a drunk driver call that everyone knows is a public hazard but in the process becomes the public hazard by speeding, causing a collision and killing himself in the process..... Not even close to heroic!!!!

I can't find a source to support your hog wild claim. All that is known is that he hit another vehicle and was ejected from his car, causing the severe head injuries that led to his death. Everything is under investigation.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I only call 911 to ask for information, normally by accident, okay, mainly if I'd been drinking.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

out in the country, 911 takes forever. The deputy on duty is usually on the other side of the county. And our counties in west Texas are rather large geographically speaking.

I love living this way. The less law we have around, the better off life seems to be.

ETA: in my hometown area, we have a police force that is mostly reviled. We also have the county sheriff and his deputies. The sheriff's office is typically well respected and acts like policemen should act. I hire officers 3 days a week for security in my place of business. They have a little security company that 1 of them is elected to "run" each year. We only employ deputies. No PD allowed. They creep out the customers and the staff both, and tend to overstep their boundaries a little too much (there are rules they are supposed to follow since they aren't acting as police).
edit on 4-12-2013 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join