It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Positive Look at Cops.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Krakatoa

I have found from my experience that sheriffs deputies are cut above when it comes to working with everyday citizens, in comparison to your average city PD, which 9 times out of 10 seem like they would just assume taze you in the face as look at you.

It may have something to do with how often PD are expected to respond to calls, where deputies are county wide.So it may be that PD are simply over worked. I know it can happen.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Heres my states memorial website.

Nebraska Law Enforcement Memorial

And here's a local story from awhile back.

Hastings Honors Heroic Officers

Great idea for a thread BTW.

I guess it just seems to me, that yes, when power is abused by LEOs it is an outrage. But, its not like there is an article written or a story produced every time an officer does good. But, you better believe there's a story when they do wrong.

So I commend you on this thread. Some may say that 'doing good' is just their job. But that doesn't mean they have to do it. And that damn sure doesn't mean they don't deserve some sort of merit when they do.
edit on 5-12-2013 by Chickensalad because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   

cops do good work because every society polices itself and self-policing is a requisite for culture and civilization. first responders can do good. police are paid to serve and protect. so we assume some must fall into doing good or be good people.

unfortunately, when police treat citizens as enemy [via training, federal funding, asinine indoctrination, and general ugly-culture], then societal purpose is not fulfilled and the act of policing becomes bullish and ugly.

the fact policing is culturally necessary and anyone can make it look righteous isn't the point. when it becomes so disgustingly thuggish that it deserves extraordinary attention, we need to police our police state, not praise small heroes fulfilling simple roles.

the murders, abuse of laws and the endoctrinated culture of general thuggishness have gone far enough. little time to praise good warriors.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by hammanderr

For Moderators you guys sure are taking a very aggressive and condescending approach to all the anti police responses on here.

Yep

ONE TIME

In all the ridiculous, childish, anti-cop threads in this hater forum, ONE TIME we stood up

And you begrudge us that????????

WOW

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I can see where both sides are coming from.

It's Police duty to uphold the law set by the Government and/ or state (depending on your country).

Respectively - I can understand why people have so much negative emotion towards the police.

I don't hate the Police -in my hour of need, I wouldn't have any hesitation of calling them, I have in the past. However, I despise those who abuse their power. With Nelson Mandala having passed away - may he rest in peace - South Africa's former and current politics have come back to light, and those dark years during the fight for freedom, we see what can happen when the Police and the Government abuse a simple human right we should all have - Democracy.

Corrupt, violent, hateful Police should be prosecuted, whereas those whom protect and serve with a passion, I believe personally should be commended.

Stay safe friends.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Intrepid .. I can't thank you enough for making this thread. Along with drone paranoia and some ridiculous predictions in the prediction forum cop bashing in my pet hate on here

Just for the record I know that not every cop is bad but it seems whenever you see a cop related story on here it's always about bashing the LEOs

Now my father was an officer in the UK (I know policing is different here than the US) for over 20 years a career that started in the mid 80s just after I was born into this great lovely world.

My father along with my mother (bless her may she RIP) raised me and my tie older brothers to treat everyone equally, manners and respect. My father always used common sense and his brain as an officer and often out thought his superiors.

I'll get to the point .. Going back a few years there was a protest at stanstead airport, it was a peaceful protest. Now a respectable broadsheet news paper printed a picture of the protest, the picture was of a protestor sitting down with a cop and his raised boot hovering just above the protestor. Now at a quick glance or to somebody who didn't know the situation, looking at the picture it looked as the copper was about to stamp on the protestor.

Now what drives me mad is it seems that a bad news report about an officer gets more attention than an officer saving a life. I work with police on a daily basis and yes on a few occasions the officers have been right idiots but the majority of the time the officers are just like me and you. They do their hours and go home to a different life.

There are plenty of stories out there praising officers it's just seems everyone concentrates on the bad ones. Suppose it has to be bad news to make the news.

That's my thoughts anyway and one other thing. For those that can not spare the slight respect for officers next time you or your loved ones are getting threatened, assaulted ( or worse ), the next time you are burgled, had your car stolen or your child is missing don't bother calling the police. If you are ready the slate off those who are trying to help people they don't know then don't waste their time do it by yourself

One last thing, US people may not know this. A year or so ago two female officers in Manchester England attended a call of a burglary in progress . Little did the officers know it was a hoax call, a trap, a trap which lead to their deaths. Upon arriving they were attacked by a guy with a gun and a grenade
Also another story again not sure if Americans know about it. Raoul Moat, this guy went on a mad one shooting anyone who stopped him. An officer came across Raoul Moat and before the officer could react he was blasted with a shot gun. The officer survived but lost his eye site he could no longer see his wife or his kids in the end the officer committed suicide

Now just reading those two incidents I dare anyone to prove to me that every cop is corrupt and only interested in beating people because this is all I ever read on ats

It's just a shame that a few selected officers tends to make everyone believe all police are bad

Rant over say what you like about my reply I just feel sorry for the narrow minded people on here

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Viesczy

semperfortis

Well I'm a big bad cop

While some of my time was taken up by public beating, money laundering and accepting bribes..

MOST of my time was spent doing..

1. Slowly patrolling neighborhoods looking at your homes to make sure all is well
2. Changing tires
3. Treating and holding injured and dead people until loved ones and EMS arrives
4. Finding lost children
5. Changing light bulbs
6. Slowing speeders down before they kill someone I have to hold again
7. Running toward a gun fight
8. Running toward a fist fight
9. Running into a riot
10. Telling families their loved ones have died

Yeah yeah I know.. I get paid for it and it is my job..

But you are WRONG.. Yep.. W..R..O..N..G...

It is NOT a job, it is a life calling

A calling? Okay, give back all your salary, do it on your own time, and do it hiding your identity.

'Til then you are doing a job, and attempting to glorify your job.

Derek

Didn't Zimmerman try that approach.... Yeah, not a very smart idea.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Liquesence

How is this a positive look at cops?

Cops respond to calls all the time, and many of those calls are to get "criminals" off the street. But because this cops ended up wrecking and dying (peace and comfort be to his family) this is a 'positive cop" story? He was doing his job. How is doing one's job a cause for celebration/reflection?

I see the news all the time where a cop is in a wreck or something and the news devotes such time attention to the story as if one of the greatest people or public servants in the entire Land has been lost, or hurt, or needed a band aid because of a stumped toe. What makes their death/injury/hardship more honorable than any ordinary citizen?

It's this media sponsored BS that helps perpetuate the "superhero cops who do no wrong and take down the horrible criminals" BS and further aids, in large part, their untouchability.

"Cop got hurt doing his job trying to protect the weak masses from the big bad criminal. Please, City of _______, take moment of silence for this courageous holder of the badge keeping your children safe."

Vomit.

And how much is this "Full Police Funeral" going to cost...taxpayers?

ETA:

I have seen some cops do some good things, yes. Mostly I see them harass and write tickets in order to collect revenue for BS, because there are too many cops and they get bored, so they have to "find" things to do/"laws" to enforce.
edit on 4-12-2013 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

Punks thinking like you do, are the ones to call the police first, before they even try to act big and bad toward aggression..

Trust me, I know some who about shat themselves when I finally had enough.

Having the nads to serve your community isn't for everyone... Doesn't seem like you would care though? Look at the cop vs citizen ratio - that's a lot of people for one person to help at any given call...

edit on 6-12-2013 by ChuckNasty because: typos

edit on 6-12-2013 by ChuckNasty because: underline

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   

WWJFKD
I defy you to show me an example of a great law enforcement officer who has seen corruption within his or her department, has stood up and brought attention to that and still has a job - It doesn't happen, there is a brotherhood of the badge and it is serious business.

Okay. I'll take the bait. Frank Serpico.

Would it make you feel all better if I told you about my service as well? It was a thankless job ... but, you're welcome.

Coming from a guy who's moniker stands for "What Would JFK Do?" ... I'd ask, what would JFK say about your posting in this thread? He wouldn't ask me what I could do for my country ... he'd probably pat me on the back for what I 'did' for mine. What have you done for yours?

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   

semperfortis

For Moderators you guys sure are taking a very aggressive and condescending approach to all the anti police responses on here.

Yep

ONE TIME

In all the ridiculous, childish, anti-cop threads in this hater forum, ONE TIME we stood up

WOW

Yes, I do. Why try to prevent people from airing their grievances? "childish anti cop threads "? Perhaps there's been a few too many and some that are undeserved. But realize that it has become a very serious issue in many minds. We're a culture that values personal freedom highly, a few thuggish cops can make that ideal feel far fetched.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Snarl

WWJFKD
I defy you to show me an example of a great law enforcement officer who has seen corruption within his or her department, has stood up and brought attention to that and still has a job - It doesn't happen, there is a brotherhood of the badge and it is serious business.

Okay. I'll take the bait. Frank Serpico.

Would it make you feel all better if I told you about my service as well? It was a thankless job ... but, you're welcome.

Coming from a guy who's moniker stands for "What Would JFK Do?" ... I'd ask, what would JFK say about your posting in this thread? He wouldn't ask me what I could do for my country ... he'd probably pat me on the back for what I 'did' for mine. What have you done for yours?

Thought it stood for what would Jesus F'n Krist do?? He'd set these sinners on fire and send them to hell! And Not assume that any cop would get fired for raising a BS flag..

If we classify everyone of a certain job/color/religion as all acting the same, therefore they are all equally guilty - is dumb.

...gonna get a warning for the WWJFKD and manners right?

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   

hammanderr

semperfortis

Yep

ONE TIME

WOW

Yes, I do. Why try to prevent people from airing their grievances? "childish anti cop threads "? Perhaps there's been a few too many and some that are undeserved. But realize that it has become a very serious issue in many minds. We're a culture that values personal freedom highly, a few thuggish cops can make that ideal feel far fetched.

..prevent? Don't see anyone being prevented. Just see people expressing how they feel..

Why do you want to prevent people that think that way?? Your opening few lines conflict with your last line.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   

hammanderr

semperfortis

Yep

ONE TIME

WOW

I agree with both statements despite my long reply a little further up the page I can see the two sides of the argument. What really bugs me is a lot of people read the stories about a bad LEO they jump on the 'every cop is bad' band wagon

Yes I agree that officers who step out of line by doing something g they shouldn't be doing then those issues have to be bought to light and people made aware. But what bugs me is just once story appears then all the cop haters appear just two throw there thoughts on them. All because maybe they got a fine for speeding or something stupid

I bet most people who have slated the cops probably have never had any involvement or spoke to any officers in person. I suppose one reason for hating is maybe because that person does something illegal and if caught would be arrested .. And we can't be having that now can we. I do something illegal every night if I get arrested so be it I've broke the law

What is so ****ing annoying is that there are so many people that read about ONE officer doing something then automatically the rest of the officers in the same police force are exactly the same. I mean how simple do you have to be to believe that.

Let me share another story where I can involvement with police. Walking with friends down the road a speeding police car pulled up next to us blue lights the lot. The officers introduced themselves and told us why they stopped us (me and two friends). We fitted the description of three people trying to break into a car. Knowing full well we hadn't done anything we accepted to be searched, at the time I had a half rolled 'cigarette' (not really a cig but I can't say what it was due to t&c's). The officer smelt it and asked quite nicely who had it and could they show it to them. Caught red handed and knew I was getting searched I reached in my pocket and pulled out the 'cig' and placed it on the floor. I was then asked if I had any more 'stuff' on me which I did a tiny amount in a herbal grinder. Again I showed the police placed it on the floor. The police told us there was a witness going to be driven past to see if we were the same guys that were trying to steal a car. Witness went past confirmed it was NOT us. The policed thanked us for our time and after a brief talk about the stuff in my pocket I was allowed to go, as I walked off one of the officers reminded me that my herbal grinder was on the floor and I had forgotten it. During this time I was not put in cuffs or in a police car I was not physically assaulted.

So yeh go on believe every cop is bad

Edit: I'm half tempted when I get home to make a thread about the good stuff cops have done
edit on 6-12-2013 by ThePeaceMaker because: Added text

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   

hammanderr
reply to post by neformore

Hey neformore and semperfortis

As opposed to... the aggressive and condescending approach from the people claiming that ALL cops are bad?

I guess you've also decided that none of the members of ATS could ever face down a man with a gun(neformore), however I would bet that some of them have in fact done this.

No. I've not decided that none of them can do it. I have - however - observed the human condition for all of my life on this planet so far and I can say with some considerable certainty that faced with mortal danger 95% of people will either watch and do nothing or panic and run hoping that someone else will step up and protect them.

Very interesting how much disdain you have for ATS members, considering you're moderators. I doubt that many policemen armed with handguns or maybe a shotgun would face down men with automatic weapons.

I have nothing but respect for ATS members, which is why I'm here and do what I do. I do have a problem with people who tar everyone with the same brush, when in actual fact its simply a small minority that cause issues. For example.

All modern day muslims are not terrorists. Some of them are
All Irish Catholics are not terrorists. Some of the have been and still are
All Germans were not Nazi's in WW2. Some of them were

However in this forum, people see fit to say "All cops are bad" and simply, they aren't. If pointing out that logical fallacy is me being disrepectful, then the meaning of the term has changed - and as I come from the country that invented the language I'm fairly sure it hasn't.

People who have had bad experiences with policemen are perhaps far more passionate than someone that one time had a slightly positive experience with a cop.

Yep. Thats human nature. But to tar everyone with the same brush is uncalled for and unfair.

This...

"Remember that time the cop didn't beat us? That was great, he was such a hero."

Try telling some WWII era Jews that the Nazis weren't all bad, just some. Let's have a thread about the random acts of kindness that the Nazis performed. See, when a guy with a gun, club and badge goes bad he has the potential to really mess peoples lives up. People are understandably a little stuck on that point.

....is a strawman argument. Yes, a bad cop has the potential to ruin someones life. That doesn't mean that all cops do it, all the time - as has been pointed out many times previously in this thread the good massively outweighs the bad - its just that the good stuff goes unnoticed.

99.5% of cops do a damn good job. People piss and moan most of the time when they get busted or get a ticket because they broke the rules and are embarrased about it, and try to justify their actions by blaming others. The 0.5% who may be rotten to the core deserve everything they get coming to them, but that does not mean all cops are bad, and deserve the ire and attitude displayed by the vocal keyboard warriors in this, and other threads, on the forum.

edit on 6/12/13 by neformore because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

Mmmm... Excuse me, but did LEO's not choose their profession? I would assume that police take an oath to serve and protect the public, not their fellow comrades in blue. Seems to me that, for the most part, coppers have lost that concept.

A few OTHER citizens have challenging jobs with less than satisfactory outcomes. We choose to persevere without completely #ing up innocent peoples lives. YOU continually make it your mission to subjugate your fellow law abiding citizens in the most arrogant and intimidatory ways possible. No wonder people despise you.

At an alarming rate, the police have become Americas largest gang, and getting worse by the day.

Shame on you.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   

neformore

Until you need them because something heinous has happened to you or a loved one of yours?

Then what?

Then what? Then they show up half an hour after you or your loved one has already been assaulted, raped, murdered, robbed.....

Or in my case they show up three days later, to the wrong house. And after you go out to talk to them they blame you for giving a wrong address and even threaten you for "falsifying".

That's exactly what I needed. Really helped a bunch.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

So that makes all of them bad does it?

Did you take it further and file a complaint? Or did you just decide they were all bad and not bother having them investigate your problem?

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   

neformore

As opposed to... the aggressive and condescending approach from the people claiming that ALL cops are bad?

Nef, i think it should be obvious to a thinker such as yourself that two wrongs do not make a right. Nor does one wrong justify another.

Surely you have to recognize that the power a policeman has makes each negative interaction extremely damaging. And that just 1 or 2 bad interactions can sour someone for life. I have had my own bad interactions, where my son was left wandering the road when the officer refused to check the bus stop after school ("You're lying....you don't have kids").

A policeman is allowed to use force on you if you don't comply. Your recourse is to file a complaint later, and hope for the best. Because doing anything else can get you killed.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   

On the whole coppers in the UK are a good bunch of folks...not the raving psychopaths you have now in the US (unfortunate since the measures to vet prospective police officers were pretty much trashed you have anyone becoming a copper).

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   

We recently had a police officer die here in my town trying to stop a gentlemen from killing himself. The cops in my town are nothing short of well known well armed very nice citizens. We are a small town and we as a community stick together. It truly is heartbreaking when a life is lost in any situation. I feel that it is worse when they are civil servants. Just like all humans a few bad apples tend to ruin for the rest. Not all police officers are pigs. I thank all the good officers for their service!

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join