It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Positive Look at Cops.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
This isn't going to be popular with some here. We are used to police abusing their authority. Bastards. Seems like it's all we ever hear now. Actually check it. Easy to find "bad cop" content on Google. "Cops doing amazing things"? It's there but you have to amend your search as it seems like EVERYONE is on the "get the cops" bandwagon. I'm taking a different tack with this. Check it:

A full police funeral is set to be held next week for a Toronto officer who died from injuries he suffered in a crash over the weekend.

Const. John Zivcic was responding to an emergency call about an impaired driver late Saturday afternoon when his vehicle collided with another car in the city's west end.

He was rushed to hospital and had several operations over the weekend, but he ultimately died of his injuries early Monday afternoon, surrounded by family.

toronto.ctvnews.ca...

Now I'm sure there will be the initial knee jerk from those that hate the police and say, "Dude shouldn't have been speeding." Why was he? Emergency call about a drunk driver. His intent was to get a hazard off the streets and he lost his life. For the public.

I would like anyone that wishes to post "news" stories, online, not hearsay, of the good work that cops do. There's plenty of negative threads for those that still want to crap on cops. Feel free to add them.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I know quite a few cops and the ones I know are pretty good guys/gals. They are doing their job. They can't give the breaks they used to give to some people, the people they warn wind up causing some problems and the cops get in trouble for letting them off with a warning. This is a problem with the people, they abused the good nature of the system and all of a sudden the cops are giving everyone tickets.

There aren't that many bad cops around here. When they are new on the force, they give more tickets and are a little gun ho. but that is the same with any new person on a job. They usually settle down after a while. There are a few cops around here that are overpowering and a little too violent but it isn't that big of a problem here. If you treat them with the respect they deserve they usually don't bother you. There are some people out there that defy authority and I'll warn them...treat the officers with respect and they will not bother you. If you think you got away with something, think again...the whole police force has your number and if you even fart in public you will get in trouble.

I get along with the police, they are doing the job they are paid to do. I always did what I was paid to do. I tried to stay away from jobs that broke the law, that way I did not get on the wrong side of the bars.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I saw a county sheriff stop four lanes of traffic to save a teeny kitten once. It's not a huge thing, but I was touched by it. We saw the cars pass over it, flipping head over tail, over and and over again before he finally got it.

Another time, I was stuck on the side of a really busy highway, with two small children, with a flat tire and a dead battery. Two county sheriffs showed up and stayed with me until my father in law arrived and directed traffic until I was mobile again.

Those don't sound like big things, but they were big to me at the time. I haven't really had much interaction with law enforcement, but the interaction I have had, has never really been negative.
edit on 12/4/2013 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Well I'm a big bad cop

While some of my time was taken up by public beating, money laundering and accepting bribes..

MOST of my time was spent doing..

1. Slowly patrolling neighborhoods looking at your homes to make sure all is well
2. Changing tires
3. Treating and holding injured and dead people until loved ones and EMS arrives
4. Finding lost children
5. Changing light bulbs
6. Slowing speeders down before they kill someone I have to hold again
7. Running toward a gun fight
8. Running toward a fist fight
9. Running into a riot
10. Telling families their loved ones have died

Yeah yeah I know.. I get paid for it and it is my job..

But you are WRONG.. Yep.. W..R..O..N..G...

It is NOT a job, it is a life calling

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

I hear ya.

Thanks for posting this thread.

I've seen some horrible LEOs in my lifetime and conversely I've seen a few very selfless individuals. I once as a child witnessed a brownstone fire in the nearby neighborhood one evening. I saw a Police officer come running out of the fully engulfed building carrying an infant and literally dragging a toddler out by the arm. It was a cold evening and you could see smoke coming off him and the toddler in tow as they suffered severe burns making their exit.

For the Record my eldest Nephew is in law enforcement back in Cali.

edit on 4-12-2013 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   

How is this a positive look at cops?

Cops respond to calls all the time, and many of those calls are to get "criminals" off the street. But because this cops ended up wrecking and dying (peace and comfort be to his family) this is a 'positive cop" story? He was doing his job. How is doing one's job a cause for celebration/reflection?

I see the news all the time where a cop is in a wreck or something and the news devotes such time attention to the story as if one of the greatest people or public servants in the entire Land has been lost, or hurt, or needed a band aid because of a stumped toe. What makes their death/injury/hardship more honorable than any ordinary citizen?

It's this media sponsored BS that helps perpetuate the "superhero cops who do no wrong and take down the horrible criminals" BS and further aids, in large part, their untouchability.

"Cop got hurt doing his job trying to protect the weak masses from the big bad criminal. Please, City of _______, take moment of silence for this courageous holder of the badge keeping your children safe."

Vomit.

And how much is this "Full Police Funeral" going to cost...taxpayers?

ETA:

I have seen some cops do some good things, yes. Mostly I see them harass and write tickets in order to collect revenue for BS, because there are too many cops and they get bored, so they have to "find" things to do/"laws" to enforce.
edit on 4-12-2013 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Liquesence

I've seen your contribution on the board. We ALL know what you think. My one question is, do you understand English?

intrepid
There's plenty of negative threads for those that still want to crap on cops. Feel free to add them.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I can speak from personal experience, I know almost all of the cops in our town, and yes, you have the ones that would give their mother a ticket, or are, for lack of better words......pricks.

But the ones I know personally, are some of the most down to earth and sincere people I know. As a matter of fact, every year at X-mas, there is this thing called "Shop with a Cop"

Donations are made by local businesses, and some of the less fortunate kids get a little money, and they get to walk around the store with a local cop and buy their X-mas presents.

Or the other day, I had one tell me, he had to go in a store, when he came out, there was a 4 year old bending down where it said Sheriff on the truck, and his dad was taking a pic with his phone. So, he proceeded to ask the kid what he was doing by his truck, and he let the kid inside the truck to check everything out, and he gave the kid a Junior Deputy badge. I guess the kid was in seventh heaven.

So see, not all cops are bad. And I added a few more for the good guys.

Star and flag for you for seeing the good in people my friend. Thank you, and I'm sure the good guys do to.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   

semperfortis

Well I'm a big bad cop

While some of my time was taken up by public beating, money laundering and accepting bribes..

MOST of my time was spent doing..

1. Slowly patrolling neighborhoods looking at your homes to make sure all is well
2. Changing tires
3. Treating and holding injured and dead people until loved ones and EMS arrives
4. Finding lost children
5. Changing light bulbs
6. Slowing speeders down before they kill someone I have to hold again
7. Running toward a gun fight
8. Running toward a fist fight
9. Running into a riot
10. Telling families their loved ones have died

Yeah yeah I know.. I get paid for it and it is my job..

But you are WRONG.. Yep.. W..R..O..N..G...

It is NOT a job, it is a life calling

A calling? Okay, give back all your salary, do it on your own time, and do it hiding your identity.

'Til then you are doing a job, and attempting to glorify your job.

Derek

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   

intrepid
reply to post by Liquesence

I've seen your contribution on the board. We ALL know what you think. My one question is, do you understand English?

intrepid
There's plenty of negative threads for those that still want to crap on cops. Feel free to add them.

Wow man, you really need to re-evaluate what having cops around means to you.
That or else, you need to quit doing things TO involve the cops. I can't say I pity you, cuz you do it to yourself apparently.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Good, yeah that's it. They pull you over and give you a ticket that is bogus and cause you to attend traffic court to fight for your rights cause the ticket would cost you 2 points and increase your insurance for about 5 years. Then lie on their statement to make you barter a deal to reduce the ticket down to no points but the fine stays. Cops word against yours, lose, lose.

If you wanna be a good cop go after the truly dangerous citizens and leave the ones alone who are not guilty of the fairy tail ticket and just trying to make it day to day and work to pay your wage. I know, I know it is all about revenue.

You'll never get me for turning on a green light again, if it looks like it's going to turn yellow, I will stop and let the unsuspecting person behind me hit me, win win.

Nor will a cop catch me going over the speed limit and I hope you are behind me cause I will go 5 under just for you!

As for heroism and recognition for such, they chose to be a cop, good or bad situations, it is their duty, that is what they trained and are paid for.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by thepolish1

You have a problem with an even playing field? These guys are shat on daily here. One thread to show the humanity of cops is too much?

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by whatnext21

You got a ticket? Life sucks. I've gotten my share too. Guess what? I didn't whine about it. I deserved the ticket(s).

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Viesczy

Yep...

See everyone

NOT A CLUE

LMAO LMAO

Obviously a person that has never done a selfless act in his life.. Oh he will say he has like every other keyboard commando, but HA HA HA HA

Yeah right

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Two of my cousins are cops, father and son.

I've run into good cops and bad cops. There was the guy in Illinois who helped us when our cars bolts sheared off and we nearly lost a wheel. He took my son and I to a hotel and neighboring small town and went back to help my husband with the car. He gave us all kinds of advice and help.

Then, there were the cops who tailgated us on a back highway and pushed us up over the speed limit so they could pull us over. They were laughing at us as they gave us the ticket.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   

My brother is a Federal Marshal.

He's a good guy.

He's also my little brother.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   

intrepid

You have a problem with an even playing field? These guys are shat on daily here. One thread to show the humanity of cops is too much?

Then maybe move the thread from the board set up about police beating people down.

The icon for this board is a cop beating someone down, why would anyone expect there to be anything positive about cops on this board?

Derek

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   

I am not complaining, the ticket was bogus and he got away with it. That was my second ticket in 40 years of driving. And that was not nice to say.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   

edit on 4-12-2013 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Viesczy

intrepid

Then maybe move the thread from the board set up about police beating people down.

The icon for this board is a cop beating someone down, why would anyone expect there to be anything positive about cops on this board?

Derek

I'm an innovator man. Maybe we can get this forum from, "Screw all police" to where it should be.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join