It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illinois high school requires parents to self-identify as liberal or conservative

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

We're looking at a school in our area that is a hybrid. The kids spend three days in the classroom and the other two at home with mom or dad drilling and working over their classroom work. It's organized around the classical education curriculum ideas, and more than anything I really want to make sure our son gets that formal logic class in his education.

But I figure if we like what we see from it, we'll have no excuse to not know what he's learning in the classroom out of that setup.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   

ketsuko
reply to post by beezzer

We're looking at a school in our area that is a hybrid. The kids spend three days in the classroom and the other two at home with mom or dad drilling and working over their classroom work. It's organized around the classical education curriculum ideas, and more than anything I really want to make sure our son gets that formal logic class in his education.

But I figure if we like what we see from it, we'll have no excuse to not know what he's learning in the classroom out of that setup.

That's great that you're getting involved.

And that speaks to the truth of the matter.

Too many parents have ceded their responsibility in educating their children.

They see that as the responsibility of the state.

It has been and always will be the responsibility of the parents.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   

ketsuko
How's this for creepy? Maybe Common Core is only supposed to be about imposing common standards on everyone, but way too many companies are taking advantage of it to push some questionable agendas in their curriculum planning. Take this high school government assignment from an Illinois high school. It sends home a survey asking parents to self-identify their beliefs on highly charged political issues with a poorly-written survey.

Info to work up a parent profile and then study the child's behavior, answers ect to see if there is a direct correlation with parental philosophies.

Using children as information conduits.

Invasion of personal philosophical and political privacy.

Teaching children that want to please teachers about how uncomfortable it can be for the noncompliant.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

I've gone through this before with my kids. They didn't write down my answers, because "anarchist" or "freedom fundamentalist libertarian" isn't something that they felt like sharing.

My oldest son and I differ politically. The younger one and I are two peas in a pod on almost everything. I live in the sticks....so things are much more laid back on the whole. They know my opnions, and I still get put on their various councils and boards. So they must not find it too distasteful.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

What about the " Moderates " ? They are just Ignored ? ......Oh Pishaw !

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I don't get it. There's nobody forcing this on anyone. They are requesting something. So what? Do I find the questions off-setting? Yep, I sure do, but still, you can say whatever you like.

I'd answer a bit outside the box. If for no other reason, than to piss off the professor for attempting to pry too deep into what should be personal issues that we're free to choose and speak of, or not.
edit on 5-12-2013 by webedoomed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

thisguyrighthere
reply to post by seeker1963

True. But for households that really believed that this wouldnt arise as an issue in the first place since you wouldnt be sending your kid to government school.

Going to a government school and complaining about the indoctrination is like going to Burger King and bitching about the lack of pizza.

LOLOL!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join