It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White College Students File Racial-Discrimination Complaint

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Ohhhh yes!!! The first of many reverse Racism tidbits that will be rowling out!!!

Just wait!!! People have been "Screwing the Pooch" when it comes to White's and Racism and we've been more than politically correct for a long time, "Not Perfect" but it's seems the Racists are not of Caucasian majority anymore.

SnF~

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   

luciddream
reply to post by mikeone718

1964?... that is still like someone's mother or father who suffered in that time, are you saying the oppressed parents have no effect on their children's development, or the their's children's children?

Helps them with their many excuses on why they don't/can't make it in this world. My father came to this country as a teenager in the 70's - couldn't speak english and of course had no money, I was raised right however...have a pretty decent job and own a home.

My point is that there is never a good reason to dwell on the bullsh!t that kept us down in the past, look ahead and try your best to make it.

Also, c'mon, they've got every opportunity made possible by our government, yeah they've never experienced what perhaps a grandparent might have.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

The thing is that if there was no offender, there would be no defender.

Sadly racism exists. There will be people calling it out and also there will be people abusing it.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Not all of us were/are that way.

Many of us worked hard to insure that all sides of major issues got aired and that the needs of the students were paramount.

Quality teaching is both a science and an art.

There are many paycheck earners in the universities and colleges. I think that the percentage of high quality profs is likely a fraction of the whole.

Mercifully, the students always rated me at the top in their statistical point scores and in their narrative comments. That was enormously humbling as well as challenging to always measure up to that standard.

It was rewarding when they noted that they ENJOYED coming to my classes--that they were FUN as well as meaningful, teaching them practical skills and strategies for relationships, work, personal improvement etc. in addition to the psych chapter concerned--while most to all their other classes were boring in addition to not teaching them anything useful.

Alas . . . putting out far more than required with minimal support--particularly for adjunct faculty--half the faculty--became quite a burden at my age and I quit to write etc.

I loved the impact on the students' lives . . . it was just a lot of effort and some risk for probably less than McDonald's pay, considering all the extra stuff I did outside of class.

There's an ignorant clueless liberal flaming women's libber at the college. She rants, raves and pushes her idiotic agenda constantly. The deans tend to be liberal and look the other way. Yet let a conservative do 1/100th what the flaming liberal does in terms of even mentioning their perspective and they can get harshly slapped down in a flash.

That double standard is hideous and the opposite of what academia is SUPPOSED to be about.

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

The thing is that while racism exists ...

... it is also true, and far more common that racism is used as a means to silence people who disagree with you these days.

I'm no racist. You can't go to a major college and survive four years as a athlete and come out a racist. You don't volunteer to teach inner city school if you're a racist. You just don't. Heck, you don't marry an ethnic minority if you're racist.

But I constantly get called a racist these days because I disagree with the policies of the president.

And I read stuff like this, more stories every day, and I hear more and more commentary about how I am apparently racist just because I'm white and for no better reason than that. I've inherited it, see. And, it starts to make me look around at the people I've never, ever wondered about before. They were my neighbors, my coworkers. People I like. I start to wonder ... do they see me that way? What do they really think? Things I've never worried about or wondered before because to me, they were just people like any others, individuals, not skin colors or ethnicities or groups. They were defined by their names to me. Now, I am seeing through those race-colored glasses, and I hate it.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   

mikeone718

jctcle
reply to post by trollz

So tired of black people telling me anything, I don't even want to look at you. I don't care about you, stay out of my life.

This cracked me up.

Sadly this professor will most likely have her way, you know, because a black person screaming racism is a pretty sensitive subject. Funny however that blacks are the first to make racial comments against others - as well as the first to pull the racial card.

It must be a terrible burden to be bitter over something in history that none of them have ever experienced.

Ummmmm... I suggest you go and actually read the article. The black person didn't cream racism until after they filed a complaint against her. And she's filing a complaint against THE SCHOOL... not the kids.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

mikeone718

luciddream

1964?... that is still like someone's mother or father who suffered in that time, are you saying the oppressed parents have no effect on their children's development, or the their's children's children?

Helps them with their many excuses on why they don't/can't make it in this world. My father came to this country as a teenager in the 70's - couldn't speak english and of course had no money, I was raised right however...have a pretty decent job and own a home.

My point is that there is never a good reason to dwell on the bullsh!t that kept us down in the past, look ahead and try your best to make it.

Also, c'mon, they've got every opportunity made possible by our government, yeah they've never experienced what perhaps a grandparent might have.

Tell that to the guys who drove past an outside ice cream shop screaming n word n word n word (the actual word) at a young black military guy, in uniform, standing right beside me a few months back. Lets try to have you compound that ON TOP of the stories they've heard from their parents growing up drinking from white only fountains until 16 years old when Kennedy and Dr. King helped them. Until you've experienced that, you won't understand. Hell, I don't understand, but I can guarantee you that this single moment will stick with me forever. That's without knowing that my parents were treated unfairly.

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentKillah

So that excuses the actions of this black teacher? She is allowed to make white students uncomfortable every day they are in class by bringing up structural racism? The article says that she taught a Mass Comm class not a history of racism class. There should be no reason for her to discuss this at all in the class except maybe once or twice in passing. Then on top of that she has the audacity to SUE the school because they reprimanded her. What ever happened to taking responsibility for your mistakes? Nope, it's totally not HER fault that she got in trouble for talking every day about something that has nothing to do with the subject matter of her class, it's because of racism. There is something seriously wrong there. I don't care how oppressed her ancestors were, she shouldn't get a free pass to just do what she wants then scream racism when called out on her bs.
edit on 4-12-2013 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

trollz

So apparently this black teacher had been using her class to complain about racism and discrimination on a daily basis, and some students got sick of it and filed a complaint. After being reprimanded by the school, the teacher turns around and files a lawsuit against the school for... racial discrimination.

Why do you get surprised? The racism card has been one of the most valuable one used by non caucasian people. You don't qualify for a job position, racism card comes to place. You are a scumbag, thief and drug seller, racism card comes to place. You don't like the other races, racism card comes to place. You are the worst racist toward caucasians, yet racism card comes to place. In the name of political correctness God forbid someone should name things with the name they deserve...

Society of sheep and a moronic reality!!!

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentKillah

Sure, while I'm at it, I'll also tell them about the various, racially motivated knock out games carried out by blacks.

Still not an excuse to live your life blaming others for your lack of success - to the point where people that pay for a higher education are made to feel uncomfortable.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Nothing wrong with teaching stuff, but if you keep harping on it in every single class, it doesn't matter if it's reality or not, it does make for a hostile environment.

I'm assuming that it's probably a social sciences class given the comments in the article, in which case there are plenty of other topics that one can choose from. Poverty and class issues come to mind, as does government corruption and immigration. There are plenty of ways to frame those issues that point out reality without demonizing every single white male in existence.

It's amazing how the social sciences wants to make everything this complicated jumble of different issues until it comes to white males, and then they're all lumped into one group as though they're all just this one mass of power and control.

Apparently, white homeless men are still, to this day, oppressing middle class, educated black women.

Does racism play a factor? Yes. But there are so many other issues that matter so much more.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   
From an outside the USA POV I have to say it seems like most Black Americans have a rather unhealthy preoccupation with race, I see it being brought up far too often and always by people who should know better. Perhaps they feel because they are in a position of power that they have more right to talk about it yet fail to realise they don't, people like Oprah etc. You also seem to have a great divide in the poor area's where race is such an issue its set to explode, what we see here is its the black Americans often playing the card despite most not really having the education to understand that what they are saying is repeated nonsense and not applicable in this day and age. There comes a cut off time when actions of your ancestors are no longer allowed to be a weapon to hit out with, slavery is no longer the issue, its minimum wage that hurts in the US as it does here and its a corporate weapon, not a racial one.

Poverty does not pick by colour.....Although many would have you think it does...

When it comes to education, the backbone of any nation it should remain free of personal agenda's such as this lady and of course she instantly played the reverse race card. As said by someone else the pushing of religion also makes me cringe, my daughters school started to get too Islamic because of the vast number of Muslim kids there, it then turned into a battle for whose religion got focus and I instantly told the school I would take her out of the school if it kept up, I told them she was there for RE (by their choice) and it was only supposed to give a brief basis on religion and not have an all out war on it.

Thankfully they saw sense and returned to the mild stuff despite a horrendous revolt by the Muslim parents (no change there then).

I just want my daughter to be educated as per the laid out path of education, people bringing their unwanted agenda's in to place just detract from the process and in this woman's case promote racial tensions. One hopes they actually bother to listen to the STUDENTS and not play the go along race deal that I see regularly in the USA.

Here in the UK we are ravaged by the Pro Islam lot, race isn't such and issue (although many radical Muslims would use the word racist at the drop of a hat but education tells us to ignore them), we don't have the same Black divide you have, for the most part most people mix well and you very rarely hear the race card unless its yet again by those in power who see fit to play it, MP Diane Abbot is a known Black race player which is odd as her children go to private boarding schools and she rarely mixes with the common masses unless she has no choice.

As usual, the people in power who often play the race card have very little to do with the race they play act as standing for.
edit on 5-12-2013 by Mclaneinc because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-12-2013 by Mclaneinc because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   
These threads always seem to devolve into the "which race is more racist" threads.

You are never going to get rid of racism people. It will always be there in some way shape or form, and that goes for everyone. Really and truly, the term "racism" is not as accurate to describe this condition as "tribalism" is.

Humans are tribal creatures by nature. We have evolved that way over the last 250,000 years we have been on this planet, and before then even, we lived in tribes. Our brains, our bodies, everything that is human evolved while we lived in small familial tribes. It is only in recent human history that this has not been the case and you have all kinds of different people of colors/cultures living together.

So now, if you get apprehensive or judgmental at all about something as trivial as skin color or cultural/ethnic/religious differences you have with someone else, then all of a sudden you are demonized for doing what evolution has programmed every one of us to do. You are a bad and horrible person if you treat black people different because they're black, or white people different because they're white. I don't care how non racist anyone says they are, at some level humans are hard wired for it and it will always be there. Not being a tribalist is a noble idea, but I don't see how it can ever be realistically applied to everyone.

I'm not saying that different people can't get along. Hell, I've worked with people from all over the world when I was in the military and I really enjoyed getting to know most of those guys. But don't think for a moment that I was around them that I pretended they weren't black, or asian, or Jewish, or whatever it was that made them different from me. Its hard wired in everyone to at least notice.

edit on 5-12-2013 by Cancerwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Cancerwarrior

I agree with you on the tribal thing, we are different therefore not the same and cant get along because my tribe tells me so

but in my opinion the whole species is one race and we are only different because we either choose to be or have had this chosen for us ( in terms of religion)

Everything else is just our physical Identity our phenotypes and our personal choices seperate us but we are all from the same species and therefore should be able to coexist without the divide

the one race , the human race will prosper and we will be united as one
I am no different from any other human , I don't label people black white brown yellow

racism is divide and conquer and is a top down system in place by elites to separate us and to keep us from coming together as a family if our species truly did originate from the one source then every single one you are my family and you all deserve to be treated as equals

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by sapien82

racism is divide and conquer and is a top down system in place by elites to separate us and to keep us from coming together as a family if our species truly did originate from the one source then every single one you are my family and you all deserve to be treated as equals

Divide and Conquer is a well known TPTB tactic. And they do use it in everything they can to great effect.

However I don't think you can say that all people are "racist" just because others want them to be. I can't see how anyone can really believe that all the racism in the world is engineered by TPTB, rather than attributed to simple human nature. That is giving them far too much credit.

the one race , the human race will prosper and we will be united as one
I am no different from any other human , I don't label people black white brown yellow

You may not label them as such but you will notice, consciously or unconsciously, that they're different from you. I think most people nowadays like to say they aren't "racist" because it has been such a demonized word, and its slung around in almost everything you read or watch on TV. That's why I think "tribalist" is a more accurate term.

Remember when Walmart got rid of everything they had that had a Paula Deen label on it because she said she used the N-word 30 years ago? If they were really so moral then they would have also gotten rid of every CD in the rap and hip hop music section that contained that very same racial slur. Double standards abound these days.

And sorry, I don't ever see the human race ever being able to live as one with no conflicts.

There has never been a period in history where it's happened and I don't know why people expect it to happen all of a sudden now. We are no different or better than our ancestors when it comes down to it, we just like to think we are more advanced because we have cellphones and human rights watchgroups (LOL) and such.
edit on 5-12-2013 by Cancerwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   

We can have black pride and black history and even FUBU. We can have gay pride complete with a nationally televised parade but when we mention white pride we automatically get enrolled in the KKK. Why are we not entitled to our own heritage these days when every other group out there is?

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Bisman

Those parents are paying for that religious education. If you pay for parochial school all well and good. You get what you pay for. If it's a public school paid for with taxes it had better well be nonsectarian.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I stopped earning my degree in law a long time ago just precisely for the crap that the professors were spewing. It was agree with what was being taught no matter how wrong it was or you were just paying the college money so that you could fail. Where's the sense in that?

Once I came to that realization, I concentrated on certification courses. Everything from welding to MS to auto mechanic. They were more fun anyways with a lot less stress and they actually look better on a resume as I could bring many different approaches to a prospective employer.

Why would I want to pay to listen to some uneducated professor babble about his political/racist viewpoint? Isn't that what ATS is for?

And many of the members here, both right and left and people of all stripes, sound a hell of a lot more intelligent than the majority of supposed educators these days. And the beauty of it all is that it is free.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
The writer of the article is a black woman.
Do you think her byline here is correct?:

Three students filed the complaint against their professor over a lesson on structural racism.

It wasn't because it was A lesson but every single lesson.
Racism is so deeply rooted in America I don't think it's ever going to go away.
Especially not when colleges are trying to enforce the idea that everything is structured in such a way as to perpetuate institutional racism.

If racism against blacks were so pervasive would she have a teaching job in a college in the first place?
Her very position negates her argument.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
The funniest thing that happened to me that is somehow related to this, is something that happened about a week or two ago. I saw some job vacancies that I liked and I decided to apply. But the system on the website wouldn't let me apply for the vacancies because I didn't belong to any ethnic group according to the computer system that registered me as a job applier.

Anyways, I decided to give this government institution that was responsible for the vacancies a call, to ask them how i couldn't be part of an ethnic group. The person I got hold of on the phone told me it said only people of ethnic groups could apply for the jobs, but they actually mend minorities but found it discriminating to call them minorities.

When I told the person n the phone that I come from a very old bloodline of Germanic tribes and Scandinavian kings and that I am part of an ethnic group called the Germans, this person thought I was joking and disconnected the phone line.

After that I tried to call the department against discrimination to file a complain. I told them the story and again referred to myself as being part of the Germanic ethnic group. Again my story wasn't taken seriously and they told me I could not file a complain because of it.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join