It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Medical radioactive material truck 'stolen in Mexico'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Hopefully they just wanted to steal the truck and didn't realize what they were taking.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   
You beat me to it in posting this! haha

Very dangerous stuff indeed. I think the concern is that the people who stole it, are not aware of the dangers and will cause a lot of harm to themselves rather than to others.

Saying that, if they did know what they was doing. I imagine it has been listed on the black market all ready. I assume some people have a use for this.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by brace22

From what I read about cobalt 60 there was talk about the possibility of being able to use it in a dirty bomb. Definitely a story to follow in my book.

edit on 01/07/2012 by txjab512 because: To revise my statement.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by txjab512

unfortunately - logic would suggest that a 2.5 ton VW - was not a very good target for an " armed gang "

question is - did they know it was carrying a radio-isotope - or did they think it was a high value cargo ?

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Maybe it's a little bit of both of those scenarios.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   

There seems to be quite a flurry of this sort of thing going on.

Wednesday, 02 October 2013

Gardaí have issued a warning to the public after radioactive material was taken in a burglary in Swords, Co Dublin over the weekend.
Seven lightning preventers, which were contained in a red metal box, were taken during the course of the burglary.
They have the appearance of aluminium or stainless steel, but are of no scrap value.

www.rte.ie...

WASHINGTON: A U.S.-based research institute will soon publish what it says is “indisputable” evidence that Israel stole weapons-grade uranium for its still-undeclared atomic weapons program from a nuclear reprocessing plant in western Pennsylvania.

The Institute for Research: Middle Eastern Policy (IRmep) will release this month a 300-page report detailing the initial findings of a multi-year research project investigating the disappearance of highly enriched uranium from the Nuclear Materials and Equipment Corporation (Numec) in Apollo, Pennsylvania in the 1950s and 1960s.

................ Smith said that among the evidence to be included in the report is a DOE document confirming that uranium samples picked up by the CIA outside Israel’s nuclear installation in Dimona bore the same isotopic signature as material produced by the Portsmouth Gaseous Diffusion Plant in the U.S. state of Ohio. The Portsmouth plant was a supplier for Numec.

www.dailystar.com.lb...

A $500 reward is being offered for the safe return of a case containing radioactive material that was stolen from a vehicle in Oakland, police said.
The black case containing 15 millicuries of 57-cobalt was stolen from a vehicle parked at 328 Forest St. on Tuesday. It belongs to Forensic Analytical Inc., an Oakland police report said.

www.sfgate.com...

Now I have no idea whether this can be put to use for anything , but they must have a reason for taking it.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Pinkorchid

The only possible uses are not ones that you want to know about. Dirty bombs is first and foremost in my mind.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Pinkorchid

A $500 reward is being offered for the safe return of a case containing radioactive material that was stolen from a vehicle in Oakland, police said.
The black case containing 15 millicuries of 57-cobalt was stolen from a vehicle parked at 328 Forest St. on Tuesday. It belongs to Forensic Analytical Inc., an Oakland police report said.

www.sfgate.com...

Now I have no idea whether this can be put to use for anything , but they must have a reason for taking it.

WOW 500 bux, they must REALLY want it back!

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
This kind of "waste" is not transported in sacks. If they fail to recognize the brightly colored containment with rad symbols all over it, if they can get it open and if they recycle it… its happened before.

On December 6, 1983, a used metal teletherapy unit (pictured) containing a source container with about 6,000, one-millimeter pellets, each with radioactive cobalt 60, was deliberately opened in a scrap yard in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico. The pellets were scattered throughout the scrap yard, and a magnetic loader further dispersed the radioactive pellets, when the scrap metal was converted to steel products…

Recycled medical waste

You can't make this stuff up.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
How convenient this happens right before the mid terms...
Something WILL happen, Posse Comatius will be suspended, and R.I.P. the USA

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Something to keep an eye on.
Mods maybe this can be moved out of off topics and be put in to the conspiracy topics instead.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Dark knight rises anyone?
But I saw this story on the idiot box just now. They mentioned that the truck was found with the shipment opened but not missing.

new topics

top topics

join