It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist developed malware covertly jumps air gaps using inaudible sound

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Source

It was being discussed earlier on ATS

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Computer scientists have developed a malware prototype that uses inaudible audio signals to communicate, a capability that allows the malware to covertly transmit keystrokes and other sensitive data even when infected machines have no network connection.

The proof-of-concept software—or malicious trojans that adopt the same high-frequency communication methods—could prove especially adept in penetrating highly sensitive environments that routinely place an "air gap" between computers and the outside world. Using nothing more than the built-in microphones and speakers of standard computers, the researchers were able to transmit passwords and other small amounts of data from distances of almost 65 feet. The software can transfer data at much greater distances by employing an acoustical mesh network made up of attacker-controlled devices that repeat the audio signals

I personally believe that it has been going on for a while. I wanted to get this out there as there was debate that it could be done.

PDF of the research.

www.jocm.us...

edit on 12/4/2013 by staple because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   
This is so ridiculously implausible on a number of levels. The fakeness, it burns my eyes!

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by staple

Sorry mate this is just bullcrap im afraid! Its like an April fool joke!
edit on 4-12-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Yes, all true!!! And TV works both ways, it sends 'them' picture of you and your family all the time...

What a joke...

Recently friend asked me to take a look at her computer, witch was Mac, she had duct tape over camera. Should I tell her to duct tape speakers as well?

Worst part is that some folks with high anxiety will take this as true.. adding more to the fear factor...

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I agree this is total BS, computer speakers and microphones do not run at the right frequencies to be transmitting and receiving ultra or subsonic sound.

Just because this guy cant work out how some malware is working he has jumped to the conclusion it MUST be through sound. Just like when people can identify something in the sky to MUST be visiting aliens. Ill believe it when it can be proved.

edit on 4-12-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Could be they developed the technology to do this and just haven't made it public. Uncommon technology is useful technology. Jussayin'.
edit on 4-12-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Not sure what you all are calling fake. These researchers wrote specific "proof of Concept" software that does what the title says. If you actually read the PDF linked, you could follow along and see how. The real debate is this type of software in the wild yet.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Well since I wrote the OP there has been numerous air gaped hacks proven and exploitable. What do you say now?

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 01:34 AM
link   
www.cnet.com...
Ah man there goes the fantasy that it cannot work.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Just wondering if you bothered checking date on your article and that points to article from OP?!

Nah, it does not work, my computer has no speaker or mic. Poor thing... is deaf, blind and does not know how to talk?!

Wait until this becomes our reality...

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 06:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: staple
www.cnet.com...

At 20 bits per second! Woot!

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: staple
www.cnet.com...

You should have read the article...lol

Firstly, they are using specialized software, software designed to use the DSP in the PC to enhance the signals.
Secondly; the software has to be installed on the target machine...not a real world expectation, and absolutely required for the system to work.

Given all that, sure, I can see it working as a very slow data communication link...

Oh, Bedlam; the possibility of say 2400 baud would be appropriate...maybe more over a shorter range.

Course, it will have difficulties with ambient noise...so please use in a quiet environment.

edit on 30-9-2015 by tanka418 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join