It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study revels "focusing on negativity will numb you from a negative mood"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   
S ource

Researchers believe the negative words shown to people in the Emotional Stroop Task put them in a bad mood, but through repetition, the words lose their affective power

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... UENwiQZ
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

What do you think about this? Isn't it counter-intuitive? They say that they put negativity on the media to keep our vibration low but here it shows that if you embrace the negativity it will not affect you as strongly

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Welcome to the reason why you love ATS so much.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   
This is something we've known for a while. It is also the base for the Scientologists auditing.
Emotional buttons stop working if pressed too often. What results is de-sensitation.

There can be positive and negative effects of that, depending upon your intent.
One can loose a fearful response to certain ideas, but at the same time, they lose the automatic repulsion to those ideas which keeps them from going near or doing those acts.

This is why it is sometimes considered that video games can be dangerous- a kid gets de-sensitized to the idea of shooting someone with a gun, through repeatedly doing so in a game..... so picking one up in real life and shooting it isn't such a big deal to them either.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

I don't know, I just don't know...

And I mean, that I don't know.

But... i hate to be graphic here, so.. i won't be.. i'll just say... the more I look at beautiful women online it doesn't make me less attracted to women in real life. This is just an example, not to masculinate myself or whatever; probably not even a word.

In fact, the more I stay in doors and look at beautiful women online, then see a real one in real life... I'm like "WOA!" That much more. So, hm...

That's why I say I don't know. I don't think this is a down-pat science or analysis we have here on this subject.

I believe in the reverse tolerance theory:

For example, Yes, in one sitting.. for example... playing a video game or watching a movie, for example, you become more numb as you sit through it, and if you put on another movie... even if an awesome one.. you'd feel that same numbness. But, wait a week... without watching movies or playing video games. Then what happens? Well, for me, they are better than ever!

Same goes for marriage, and I think is why a lot of marriages fail and a lot of people in marriages are more in love 50 years later than ever before. If you deal with exposure the right way, it can grow, with anything. If you deal with it the wrong way then... well... you get sour apples and divorces is what you get! Too much of the wrong exposure is bad, too little of the good exposure is bad too. Got to have a balance.

I think becoming numb to everything simply due to exposure to it would be a poor design,

and, our Creator is Great. He thought that through.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by billys2288

Well, if you are playing negative violent video games, and then you take a break from it and play it again and like it even more, that shows that you are less responsive to the pain of violence.

And as for the beautiful women thing, that is sexuality. Humans desire sex, so of course looking at women would make you more interested, but this wasn't a study in sexuality.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

From my own experience,it does desensitise you to negativity to keep thinking negative thoughts-right into a habit that can last for years,or even decades-do not go there,imo.Always give pause and thought to serious problems and how to solve them,but if these problems are beyond your ability or means to solve at that time-then you need to lay off it and find more cheerful uplifting or downright funny things to take your mind off the cause of your negativity.

NEVER think that indulging in negativity cannot very rapidly become a way of life-i have made that mistake since childhood-and it is a life-spoiler,i Know what i am talking about-to this day i find i have often to "re-program" myself to not go into "negative" mode at the drop of a hat-believe me,it becomes second nature VERY easily to have a negative,pessimistic oulook-never ever indulge in the negative,unless it is to find the cause and/or solution to a serious problem.
Please see this for what it is meant to be,kind advice from some one who has been battling negative thought patterns all her life-it is like quicksand.And overexposure to the negative has never brought about a lessening,it keeps one in a stasis of the negative-always attempt to find the positive,no matter if you have to Work at it,it is well worth it.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Bluesma
This is something we've known for a while. It is also the base for the Scientologists auditing.
Emotional buttons stop working if pressed too often. What results is de-sensitation.

There can be positive and negative effects of that, depending upon your intent.
One can loose a fearful response to certain ideas, but at the same time, they lose the automatic repulsion to those ideas which keeps them from going near or doing those acts.

This is why it is sometimes considered that video games can be dangerous- a kid gets de-sensitized to the idea of shooting someone with a gun, through repeatedly doing so in a game..... so picking one up in real life and shooting it isn't such a big deal to them either.

well not really. i have been playing online shooter games for many years and i assure you i have no desire to harm anyone and neither do most of those whom i game with. kids are becoming what their govt. are teaching them to be, no more and no less. there is no such thing as de-sensitizing anyone. you either care or you don't. if you think it works try de-sensitizing yourself to murder and then head to a war zone, i guarantee you, you will be balling at some point in time. we can become, in a lot of way's tolerant of things, but at our core we cannot just stop caring anytime we feel like it, just doesn't work like that, ask any tough, burly, well trained soldier how that desensitizing is working out, once they hit the battlefield...

new topics

top topics

join