It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FREAKING ARUGULA

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Yeah...not much to say in this thread. I have a huge box of arugula at home and I am planning on destroying it tonight with some grilled skirt steak and a red wine vinaigrette that I whipped up this morning before I left for work.

Can you tell I like my food? Especially arugula. Its so delicioso!!!

I almost had control over it until i was entering invoices and saw that we had bought some arugula at work. Now i am obsessing. Over arugula.
edit on 3-12-2013 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

eeeek... I HATE ARUGULA... poor steak!

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

since when did rocket come in boxes ????

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Errrrrmmmm.....Stupidly thinks to ones self....WTH is Arugula!!!!

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   

FraternitasSaturni

Yea? Well santa told me he hates you and isn't giving you anything for Christmas.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

ignorant_ape

since when did rocket come in boxes ????

Its a plastic box. like this:

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

TheDoctor46
Errrrrmmmm.....Stupidly thinks to ones self....WTH is Arugula!!!!

For those of you not on the Yank team:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

FraternitasSaturni

Yea? Well santa told me he hates you and isn't giving you anything for Christmas.

Yea well... well.... you had to call your friends on high places just because I dont like arugula...

I'm sorry for you, you know...?

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by TheDoctor46

LOL I was right there with you. So I had to look it up. Looks like a cross between leaf lettuce and dandelion leaves.

Guess I will have to try it now.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Dude YES! Arugula & steak! I'm kinda tired of bacon and eggs for breakfast - might try your idea

While not readily practiced in restaurants here in the states, I like to lightly fry arugula (like under 5 seconds) in some olive oil, deglazed with a shot of white wine.... oooh yeah, maybe a little tamari. PERFECT for sexy-dinners.

major xox!
-kissy
edit on 3-12-2013 by kissy princess because: sexiness

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

FraternitasSaturni

bigfatfurrytexan

FraternitasSaturni

Yea well... well.... you had to call your friends on high places just because I dont like arugula...

I'm sorry for you, you know...?

Feel sorry all you want. Ill be riding Rudolph to the store to buy more arugula.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

kissy princess
Dude YES! Arugula & steak! I'm kinda tired of bacon and eggs for breakfast - might try your idea

While not readily practiced in restaurants here in the states, I like to lightly fry arugula (like under 5 seconds) in some olive oil, deglazed with a shot of white wine.... oooh yeah, maybe a little tamari. PERFECT for sexy-dinners.

major xox!
-kissy

Now you are talking. Wilted arugula is awesome. Especially with fish.

Arugula as a salad is great with watermelon.

Last night I had arugula on my burger (along with some homemade onion jam i made over the weekend for some turkey sammiches).

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
A great dressing for cold arugula is made with a sweet balsamic vinegar, a shot of tamari (love that stuff), a pinch of red-pepper flakes, and extra virgin olive oil. Maybe add in a pinch of brown sugar for some extra-sweetness. Shake it up, babe & pour it on! You'll find the sweetness of the balsamic vinegar (which isn't really a vinegar) adds a new dimension to the spice of the arugula. Omg, I gotta split - it is time to eat.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Wait wait - onion jam? Would you post the recipe for this? I normally don't like onions, but this sounds like something I would like to try - especially on a fat, rare burger!

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

Yes I would sooner have the steak though

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   

kissy princess

Wait wait - onion jam? Would you post the recipe for this? I normally don't like onions, but this sounds like something I would like to try - especially on a fat, rare burger!

4 medium onions sliced in 1/4" thick slices and broken apart
2 tbls butter
3/4 c honey
3/4 c red wine vinegar
2 cup red wine (dry, like a merlot)

1. sweat the sliced onions with some butter. When they start to give up the liquid pour in the red wine
2. reduce the red wine almost completely, but don't let anything start to scorch/brown. reduce on medium heat
3. add in the honey and red wine vinegar and reduce until you have a nearly liquid free, reduced mix of caramelized onion. once again, reduce over medium heat.
4. salt/pepper to taste. at this point i usually add in a touch of cayenne to give it some bite

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

if you are doing the onion jam, do the ancho/lime aioli, too:

1/2 cup mayo
2 limes, juiced and zested
2-3 cloves garlic, minced/pressed
2 tbls ancho chili powder. You can likely just grind 1 or 2 whole, dried ancho's

blend the whole thing together in a food processor or with an immersion blender and apply liberally to the burger bun. I love aioli, this is my favorite one.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I wished I had'nt clicked on this thread. Now my dinner plans have changed....Today is my anniversary and tonight's menu has changed...Damn your arrugala thread BFFT. Gotto go now, Fresh Market is calling my name. I lived in N.Y for a few years and ate my weight in this tasty green. I like mine wilted with some feta & olive oil. Also goes well with chicken, & pork,venison, elk, bacon, steak, spam, liver pudding, .....just go get you all some and try it. You'll see what the man's talking about.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
who knew,,, such a remarkable anncestory,,

"Grown as an edible herb in the Mediterranean area since Roman times, salad rocket was mentioned by various classical authors as an aphrodisiac, most famously in a poem long ascribed to Virgil, Moretum, which contains the line: "et veneris revocans eruca morantuem" ("the rocket excites the sexual desire of drowsy people").
Some writers assert that for this reason during the Middle Ages it was forbidden to grow rocket in monasteries.
It was listed, however, in a decree by Charlemagne of 802 as one of the pot herbs suitable for growing in gardens. Gillian Reilly, author of the Oxford Companion to Italian Food, states that because of its reputation as a sexual stimulant, it was "prudently mixed with lettuce, which was the opposite" (i.e., calming or even soporific). Reilly continues that "nowadays rocket is enjoyed innocently in mixed salads, to which it adds a pleasing pungency".

Enjoy

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   

chiefsmom

Guess I will have to try it now.

Did you try it yet?

i LOVE Arugula!

Its great as a salad green, even stand alone. Its awesome with any addition,
such as cherry tomatoes, avocado, sliced radish, beets, cucumber!

And...did I mention that it is easy to grow, and I am growing some right
now and its freaking awesome!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join